Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 14th, 2017, 5:53 pm


All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Price vs. Value. How do you decide?
PostPosted: May 28th, 2008, 1:07 pm 
Offline
Junior Member
User avatar

Joined: May 26th, 2008, 12:53 am
Posts: 283
Location: SoCal
How do you decide if the price is reasonable for a game?

Is it the artwork? The story arcs available? The day of the month?

There seems to be a wide price range for games ($25-$40 from a quick peek at J-List), so what makes you feel the game is worth the price? We're a start-up company working on a new game and as much as I'd love to charge $10, there's no way the game will make enough money to break even at that price, let alone provide enough money to help us make a second (and better!) game. Realistically, we're looking at $25-$35 for our price but we want to make it a good value if we can. Your feedback would be very helpful.

I look forward to your opinion!

_________________
= = = PunkDaddy - Beatin' the Brats for over 10 years! = = =
aiAnimals-Puppy Puzzler

++First Project: Princess Code++ ++MIA 2009++
Just released a non-H, Animal Game for the iPhone August 2010!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Price vs. Value. How do you decide?
PostPosted: May 28th, 2008, 5:26 pm 
Offline
Major Contributor
User avatar

Joined: March 15th, 2007, 11:16 pm
Posts: 1079
Location: Queen Creek, AZ
What about if it works on an iMac? Because I own an iMac. A simple upgrade of my OS would provide a way to run Windows programs on my machine...but...I'd just as soon buy something that can run on Mac OS X to begin with as perform a system upgrade. I probably should do the upgrade anyway, but running games in OS X should be an option anyway, right?

_________________
Partial ANN list


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Price vs. Value. How do you decide?
PostPosted: May 29th, 2008, 1:21 am 
Offline
Regular

Joined: March 26th, 2007, 4:09 am
Posts: 556
Location: The Bastion of Imagination
Where bishoujo games are concerned, I generally look at three factors:

1. Quality of the story/characters.

Is the story interesting and engaging? Is there a story at all? I tend to prefer games that have some greater story in the background other than the typical "I must get a girlfriend!" plot of most B-games. Games such as Bible Black, Divi-DEAD and Brave Soul are examples of these.

Are the characters interesting? (Hint: Try not to use TOO many stereotypes...) Do they allow me the opportunity to empathise with them? Is the dialogue witty and of good caliber? While I have bought and played games with less than interesting characters, I would be willing to pay more for a game that has engaging characters.

2. Quality of the artwork/sex scenes

As interactive visual novels, obviously the artwork has to be aesthetically pleasing for me to be interested in buying a B-game. This is a very personal matter of taste, however. To me, aesthetically pleasing does NOT necessarily mean high-resolution, digitally air-brushed, photo-quality pictures. I've found the artwork from some older games like Divi-DEAD to be more aesthetically pleasing than more recent games.

For similar reasons, depicted sex scenes have to be aesthetically pleasing as well. Please, NO MOSAICS! I will absolutely refuse to buy any B-game that has mosaics or a lack of detail for genitalia. It makes me feel like I'm playing with Barbie dolls! As I have a higher tolerance for unusual expressions of sexuality, I find it more appealing if a game offers variants from usual heterosexual encounters.

3. Quality of the game itself

How entertaining is the game as a game in itself? Some B-games are nothing more than interactive novels, which is fine, but other games go further and include action, strategy or RPG elements. If these elements are included, they need to be well polished and fun to engage in. They should not be needlessly tedious or frustrating.

How much content is there in the game itself? Does it have replayability? How many hours of play does it provide in a single run through?

Finally, the game needs to have a working and intuitive interface. It should be easy and convenient to use without overly detracting from the game's experience.

---

Typically, only about 1 or 2 of these factors will be Good, but that's enough for me to buy the game. Because most B-games are noticeably shorter than A-list games, I'm only willing to spend about $20 - $30 on them. If it somehow offers enough content to pad it out into dozens of gaming hours, however, I could be convinced to part with more for them.

_________________
In the end, all we have are the stories we can tell. And, if we are fortunate, somebody who will listen. - sylara{Z}


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Price vs. Value. How do you decide?
PostPosted: May 29th, 2008, 1:58 am 
Offline
Resident Admin
User avatar

Joined: March 11th, 2007, 11:19 am
Posts: 2452
Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Well, if we are focus on the realm of B-Games, which it seems is what you are currently making, then I will try and stick with those aspects.

What I am looking for will vary dependent upon the type of game I am looking to buy, and so will what I am willing to pay and what I expect from it. I've played a couple of B-Games now so I will use those as examples:

Brave Soul, a B-Game with an action rpg fighting interface. Much more like an actual game then a visual novel. The ability to fight is a big plus in my book. It allows a game to have a much longer timeframe, adds something different then just a bunch of talking and sometimes giving you some choice in where the story goes. However, the fighting aspect has to be fun, otherwise you end up spending most of your time in the game not doing something you enjoy (a la Pretty Soldier Wars).

Now, if the game doesn't have a fighting aspect, it's going to have to have something to make up for that fact. Visual Novel B-Games are either going to need to have an intricate story, to keep things interesting since all the attention is on that aspect, or they are going to need to have some great h-scenes to make up for any lack there-of (Which would really mean animated sequences rather than CG). Bible Black is a b-game where the whole thing is basically a visual novel with some choices you can make along the way. However the story is pretty interesting as well as the h-scenes so it makes up for not having much of anything else.

Now no matter what I am going to be willing to pay more for a b-game with an actual fighting system then one without. I would be happy to pay $40.00 for such a game, because if nothing else you know you will get at least a fair amount of playtime, otherwise there is no point in having a fighting system to begin with.

If it does not have fighting, or it has some sort of fighting replacement (that really isn't fighting) then it will be around the same as for a visual novel game, which I try to pay around $15-$20 for.

Your game seems to be in the visual novel arena with some type of puzzle aspect to it. Though I have a couple questions before I lay down any type of concrete amount that I would be willing to shell out, in general, for a game like yours.

How long would you say the game going to take from start to finish?
Is there any type of replay value here, or is it more of a one time through thing?
I'm guessing the h-scenes are CG's right?
What would you honestly say the quality is compared to actual studio game releases?

To be honest you might be pricing yourself out of the market for a first time go at this. Though this is from someone who has not seen the quality of the work yet. If it is comparable to what other companies (your competitors) put out, then you may be able to charge what they do, but without more mainstream distribution channels I'm not sure how well it will sell, or how well the word will spread. People need to have a reason to buy your game as opposed to others, so it may be better to try and compete on price rather than anything else. That is the easiest message to get across, because it may be difficult to convince people on the quality of the release from a company putting out their first release. However, if you do price to sell, as long as people like it (aka it's good) that should be enough to spread the word around and get more people interested and hopefully purchasing.

Underprice while you build up a fanbase and get better at making the games, etc. Utilize free channels to get the info out there about the game and price it so people are willing to give it a try without worrying too much about it. (Review sites are always good for that, since it usually just costs you a copy of the game). You may have to look at it as, more a covering of your costs in the long run, after you make others and the first continues to sell as more and more people become interested in your games. That may not happen though, if no ones buys it because it is too expensive to begin with.

How are you planning on distributing it anyway? Are you going to box it up and ship it out, digital downloads, both? You'll be subject to pirating just like the rest of them, and since they have failed at fighting against it how do you plan to cope if/when such a situation occurs?

B-games are a rather niche market to begin with, but luckily there aren't a huge number of sites that cover such items so you should be able to get the word out to all B-game fans without to much in advertising expenses, I would imagine. At any rate I am done for the moment till I get a bit more info on it, and possibly some cost figures for you so I can do some calculations. (Maybe some projected sales numbers and the $ cost for game one and thoughts on the cost outlay for game two, if you have thought that far ahead already).

_________________
Animetric Owner and Reviewer | My Anime List
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Price vs. Value. How do you decide?
PostPosted: May 29th, 2008, 2:08 am 
Offline
Junior Member
User avatar

Joined: May 26th, 2008, 12:53 am
Posts: 283
Location: SoCal
shgarland wrote:
What about if it works on an iMac?

Right now, we're only working on PC, but the game creator is a Mac guy. I've GOT to rub this in!
Thanks for the feedback and the ammunition. :D

Zaxares wrote:
Where bishoujo games are concerned, I generally look at three factors:

1. Quality of the story/characters.
2. Quality of the artwork/sex scenes
3. Quality of the game itself

Thank you for taking the time for such a comprehensive answer (although I snipped the details from my reply)! I will definitely take your criteria to heart, especially regarding Mosaics and the interface.

Acmurphy wrote:
Your game seems to be in the visual novel arena with some type of puzzle aspect to it. Though I have a couple questions before I lay down any type of concrete amount that I would be willing to shell out, in general, for a game like yours.
How long would you say the game going to take from start to finish?
Is there any type of replay value here, or is it more of a one time through thing?
I'm guessing the h-scenes are CG's right?
What would you honestly say the quality is compared to actual studio game releases?

Since the game is not completed, I don't have concrete answers, but I'll be sure to put that information on our site once I do. I'm 90% sure we will not have CG h-scenes. The art will be hand drawn, so it will also be static (not animated). I honestly believe our artist is on par with actual studio game releases, but we have so far to go before we are finished, it's way too early to brag or even be happy.

I must say, I feel like I struck gold on this forum with the quality of the posts. Of course, you've also given me plenty of work to make sure I address all of these issues once we actually start advertising the game.

Acmurphy wrote:
To be honest you might be pricing yourself out of the market for a first time go at this. Though this is from someone who has not seen the quality of the work yet. If it is comparable to what other companies (your competitors) put out, then you may be able to charge what they do, but without more mainstream distribution channels I'm not sure how well it will sell, or how well the word will spread. People need to have a reason to buy your game as opposed to others, so it may be better to try and compete on price rather than anything else. That is the easiest message to get across, because it may be difficult to convince people on the quality of the release from a company putting out their first release. However, if you do price to sell, as long as people like it (aka it's good) that should be enough to spread the word around and get more people interested and hopefully purchasing.

Yes, we certainly have a ton of risk with our pricing. I'm the marketing guy who has his fingers crossed like mad hoping that the early promise of our plans and concepts comes through in the final product. I'm afraid of trying to compete on price because of my experience with DVDs. Great ones sell no matter what price, bad ones don't sell no matter what price. I know that $99.98 is retarded, but if I'm only going to sell 50 extra games by dropping the price $10, there's no point. Frankly, the war between the marketing side (cheaper is better!) and the business side (low price = no money = no second game) continues to wage with no clear winner. Hopefully we'll have a great game and the people who buy it will win. There's a long way to go before that's close to reality.

Acmurphy wrote:
Underprice while you build up a fanbase and get better at making the games, etc. Utilize free channels to get the info out there about the game and price it so people are willing to give it a try without worrying too much about it. (Review sites are always good for that, since it usually just costs you a copy of the game). You may have to look at it as, more a covering of your costs in the long run, after you make others and the first continues to sell as more and more people become interested in your games. That may not happen though, if no ones buys it because it is too expensive to begin with.

So true. Painful, but true. We budgeted the bulk of our resources into the game and have tiny funds to market the title. Actually, those funds come out of my pocket, so the free channels will be the priority until we can prove the quality of the game. Speaking of reviews, can you let me know how to submit the game to Animetric? We have a ways to go before we have something to send, but I might as well get started.

Acmurphy wrote:
How are you planning on distributing it anyway? Are you going to box it up and ship it out, digital downloads, both? You'll be subject to pirating just like the rest of them, and since they have failed at fighting against it how do you plan to cope if/when such a situation occurs?

B-games are a rather niche market to begin with, but luckily there aren't a huge number of sites that cover such items so you should be able to get the word out to all B-game fans without to much in advertising expenses, I would imagine. At any rate I am done for the moment till I get a bit more info on it, and possibly some cost figures for you so I can do some calculations. (Maybe some projected sales numbers and the $ cost for game one and thoughts on the cost outlay for game two, if you have thought that far ahead already).

Considering that this niche is so tiny, our expectations are pretty limited and we have no delusions of grandeur. We were going to focus on a boxed version with a small list of retailers (starting with J-List and maybe the Right Stuf) for the English speaking world and do direct sales as well. We've discussed digital distribution but right now we don't have any infrastructure built up to automate the delivery and all our coding efforts are focused on the game. I'm not messing with that just yet. :)

As for piracy, we have no resources to fight it, so we're going to have to rely on the good nature of people. :roll: Seriously, this may be a problem, but more likely only if we're really good and get a lot of people interested. The classic two-edged dilemma. In fact, since we're definitely going to release it with Japanese and possibly also in Spanish, we may run the risk of being pirated more. Since this is our first game, we don't have a perspective from which to estimate the issue.

As for the costs and game two, all we have right now are ball-park estimates. Since I'm not confident we have a tight handle on all of the costs, I'm reluctant to share them or believe in them just yet. Plus, most of the labor is free right now, but to do a second game, we're going to have to be able to pay people, and then this game's budget goes up in a ball of flame.

I apologize for rambling. The issues you bring up really get me thinking and in addressing them, I'm probably drifting a bit off topic. Still, I realize how the lens of the price affects the perception of the actual product so I'm obsessing a bit on that point. The other folk on the team just have to make a great game. I'm the lucky guy who has to convince people it will be worth whatever price we wind up charging. :shock:

Thank you for your help and your feedback. I need both.

Edit - Condensed the double post into one - ACM

_________________
= = = PunkDaddy - Beatin' the Brats for over 10 years! = = =
aiAnimals-Puppy Puzzler

++First Project: Princess Code++ ++MIA 2009++
Just released a non-H, Animal Game for the iPhone August 2010!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Price vs. Value. How do you decide?
PostPosted: May 29th, 2008, 6:01 pm 
Offline
Resident Scholar
User avatar

Joined: May 13th, 2007, 7:57 am
Posts: 4121
Location: Trier, Germany
I take a look at pictures and try to get a trial version or something, or ask one of my trigger-happy friends who download everything and anything that might be interesting in the slightest way. After about 20 minutes of playing I'll decide out of my guts! :D

_________________
42317
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Price vs. Value. How do you decide?
PostPosted: May 29th, 2008, 6:13 pm 
Offline
Major Contributor
User avatar

Joined: March 15th, 2007, 11:16 pm
Posts: 1079
Location: Queen Creek, AZ
42317 wrote:
I take a look at pictures and try to get a trial version or something, or ask one of my trigger-happy friends who download everything and anything that might be interesting in the slightest way. After about 20 minutes of playing I'll decide out of my guts! :D

I think some of it might be guts for me as well. I mean, sometimes I'll look over at J-list and see something I'd like to try. I could always upgrade to OS X.5 if I really wanted to play them (because Boot Camp comes with it). I probably should still do it...but it'd be just because I should do it anyway, and not to start playing games for Windows on my Mac...(I think I'd need to buy a full version of Windows as well for that, anyway, and that'd be an additional $130...)

_________________
Partial ANN list


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Price vs. Value. How do you decide?
PostPosted: May 31st, 2008, 2:09 am 
Offline
Junior Member
User avatar

Joined: May 26th, 2008, 12:53 am
Posts: 283
Location: SoCal
42317 wrote:
I take a look at pictures and try to get a trial version or something, or ask one of my trigger-happy friends who download everything and anything that might be interesting in the slightest way. After about 20 minutes of playing I'll decide out of my guts! :D


Actually, I'm pretty much the same way. It makes it hard to convince me about things that I can't try. How is the fan base for Bishoujo games in Germany? Do any games get localized in German?

shgarland wrote:
I think some of it might be guts for me as well. I mean, sometimes I'll look over at J-list and see something I'd like to try. I could always upgrade to OS X.5 if I really wanted to play them (because Boot Camp comes with it). I probably should still do it...but it'd be just because I should do it anyway, and not to start playing games for Windows on my Mac...(I think I'd need to buy a full version of Windows as well for that, anyway, and that'd be an additional $130...)


Wow. I thought it was getting easier to use PC software on the MAC. I did not know it was so expensive. I had the original blueberry iBook and liked it, so I bought my wife a later version iBook. One dead RAM set, one dead charging port and a faulty hard drive later, I bought her a PC. I still get tempted by the new MACs though. But I digress.

Thank you both for your input!

_________________
= = = PunkDaddy - Beatin' the Brats for over 10 years! = = =
aiAnimals-Puppy Puzzler

++First Project: Princess Code++ ++MIA 2009++
Just released a non-H, Animal Game for the iPhone August 2010!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Price vs. Value. How do you decide?
PostPosted: May 31st, 2008, 3:06 am 
Offline
Resident Admin
User avatar

Joined: March 11th, 2007, 11:19 am
Posts: 2452
Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
PunkDaddy wrote:
Since the game is not completed, I don't have concrete answers, but I'll be sure to put that information on our site once I do. I'm 90% sure we will not have CG h-scenes. The art will be hand drawn, so it will also be static (not animated). I honestly believe our artist is on par with actual studio game releases, but we have so far to go before we are finished, it's way too early to brag or even be happy.

Well hand drawn should actually be better than all the standard CG out there, as long as it is well done of course. Gives it a more personal touch.

PunkDaddy wrote:
Yes, we certainly have a ton of risk with our pricing. I'm the marketing guy who has his fingers crossed like mad hoping that the early promise of our plans and concepts comes through in the final product. I'm afraid of trying to compete on price because of my experience with DVDs. Great ones sell no matter what price, bad ones don't sell no matter what price. I know that $99.98 is retarded, but if I'm only going to sell 50 extra games by dropping the price $10, there's no point. Frankly, the war between the marketing side (cheaper is better!) and the business side (low price = no money = no second game) continues to wage with no clear winner. Hopefully we'll have a great game and the people who buy it will win. There's a long way to go before that's close to reality.

Well that does raise a very good point, if the demand is inelastic for any reasonable range of prices, you may as well charge a higher price and reap the higher returns. Though I really am not sure of the elasticity of demand for B-games. But if that is what you have found, then ya, if would be a better idea to price it in the mid to high 20's, I would gather.

PunkDaddy wrote:
So true. Painful, but true. We budgeted the bulk of our resources into the game and have tiny funds to market the title. Actually, those funds come out of my pocket, so the free channels will be the priority until we can prove the quality of the game. Speaking of reviews, can you let me know how to submit the game to Animetric? We have a ways to go before we have something to send, but I might as well get started.

Sure, I am fine if you want to send the game in to be reviewed, once it is finished. J-List sends me a number of B-games to review (sadly I haven't done too well in that respect, with one review in a year :vomit: ). But just do realize I (or Tong if he reviews it) will be honest, for better or for worse, concerning what we think of the game.

PunkDaddy wrote:
Considering that this niche is so tiny, our expectations are pretty limited and we have no delusions of grandeur. We were going to focus on a boxed version with a small list of retailers (starting with J-List and maybe the Right Stuf) for the English speaking world and do direct sales as well. We've discussed digital distribution but right now we don't have any infrastructure built up to automate the delivery and all our coding efforts are focused on the game. I'm not messing with that just yet. :)

Well, if you are going to do physical distribution then you are going to have more costs to deal with, but if you don't have the ability to do online (I wouldn't suggest just doing online anyway since it could kill you for those that like to actually have a physical copy, like myself) so that's probably good to focus on the physical aspect. And I do like the idea of trying to get it listed with RS and J-List, as those are 2 of the major B-Game retailers. (And anime related item retailers in general).

PunkDaddy wrote:
As for piracy, we have no resources to fight it, so we're going to have to rely on the good nature of people. :roll: Seriously, this may be a problem, but more likely only if we're really good and get a lot of people interested. The classic two-edged dilemma. In fact, since we're definitely going to release it with Japanese and possibly also in Spanish, we may run the risk of being pirated more. Since this is our first game, we don't have a perspective from which to estimate the issue.

Ya, it's more of a bite the bullet there, but at least a number of places will remove it if you ask them to. Though others won't so it doesn't really help too much in the end since people can still find it online. Pirating is a bitch, that's the basic gist.

PunkDaddy wrote:
As for the costs and game two, all we have right now are ball-park estimates. Since I'm not confident we have a tight handle on all of the costs, I'm reluctant to share them or believe in them just yet. Plus, most of the labor is free right now, but to do a second game, we're going to have to be able to pay people, and then this game's budget goes up in a ball of flame.

Ya, I would imagine figuring out the finals costs may be a little difficult, especially estimating it for the second game where you will have a lot more costs. Hopefully things will go well enough with the first one to allow you to make a second that will cover all those additional costs.

PunkDaddy wrote:
I apologize for rambling. The issues you bring up really get me thinking and in addressing them, I'm probably drifting a bit off topic. Still, I realize how the lens of the price affects the perception of the actual product so I'm obsessing a bit on that point. The other folk on the team just have to make a great game. I'm the lucky guy who has to convince people it will be worth whatever price we wind up charging. :shock:

Pricing can be very tricky, especially when you are trying to break into a market where you don't have any real sales data for. A very bold and daring move, if I do say so myself. Hopefully it will pay off in the end!

PunkDaddy wrote:
Thank you for your help and your feedback. I need both.

No problem! Glad to help!

_________________
Animetric Owner and Reviewer | My Anime List
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Price vs. Value. How do you decide?
PostPosted: June 1st, 2008, 7:45 pm 
Offline
Resident Scholar
User avatar

Joined: May 13th, 2007, 7:57 am
Posts: 4121
Location: Trier, Germany
PunkDaddy wrote:
How is the fan base for Bishoujo games in Germany? Do any games get localized in German?

They're not widespread, you don't get them in department stores or electronics shops, they have to be ordered via internet, usually, because I think there are rare occasions where you can buy them "the old way".

"Localized"? Like in "translated"? Hooh, I'll have to think hard for that... actually I remember only a single German translation so far - "True Love". "True Love" has an alternative German text file in its original data, hard to believe, but true, and you have to use a trick to get it running. Since there is no menu where you choose your language, you have to rename the German file and use the name of the English file (and remove the latter) in order to get access to German text.
But the translation is bad as hell, full of mistakes and it sounds archaic. I can't even tell whether someone whose command of Japanese wasn't very good or some Japanese whose command of German wasn't very good translated it, but the mistakes that I found seemed to point at a direct translation indeed, instead of the usual "English detour".

But, since it is a .txt file I took the freedom and translated it again for my personal enjoyment. It might even be that my translation into modern juvenile German was a bit too progressive, but if I try to save the tone of the Japanese original (which has a naturally higher level of politeness) it begins to sound unrealistic in German, because youths don't talk that politely...

It was fun working on it. Come to think of it, I think the file is still on my old hard drive... I should save it before it's lost and I have to start all over.

_________________
42317
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Price vs. Value. How do you decide?
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2008, 3:53 pm 
Offline
Junior Member
User avatar

Joined: May 26th, 2008, 12:53 am
Posts: 283
Location: SoCal
Acmurphy wrote:
Well that does raise a very good point, if the demand is inelastic for any reasonable range of prices, you may as well charge a higher price and reap the higher returns. Though I really am not sure of the elasticity of demand for B-games. But if that is what you have found, then ya, if would be a better idea to price it in the mid to high 20's, I would gather.

I think so. Although we may offer a really expensive one ($60-$100) that comes with an original sketch. That will make the artist happy, make a few fans happy, and might make the game seem a tad bit more reasonable. There might be a discount for digital delivery if we figure that out. Fortunately, I have clarified that we will be 100% hand drawn and our plan will be to have no mosaic. We might create a version with mosaic if we license it to countries that require that, but right now, that is only a problem we HOPE to have.

Acmurphy wrote:
PunkDaddy wrote:
Speaking of reviews, can you let me know how to submit the game to Animetric?

Sure, I am fine if you want to send the game in to be reviewed, once it is finished. J-List sends me a number of B-games to review (sadly I haven't done too well in that respect, with one review in a year :vomit: ). But just do realize I (or Tong if he reviews it) will be honest, for better or for worse, concerning what we think of the game.


I wouldn't want it any other way. While it may be painful for our egos, if we cannot stand up to real competition, we won't survive anyway. Hopefully, it will be interesting enough you can get around to playing it and doing a review. :D Can you PM me with your e-mail or snail mail info so I can send you a copy when its done?

Acmurphy wrote:
PunkDaddy wrote:
I apologize for rambling. The issues you bring up really get me thinking and in addressing them, I'm probably drifting a bit off topic. Still, I realize how the lens of the price affects the perception of the actual product so I'm obsessing a bit on that point. The other folk on the team just have to make a great game. I'm the lucky guy who has to convince people it will be worth whatever price we wind up charging. :shock:

Pricing can be very tricky, especially when you are trying to break into a market where you don't have any real sales data for. A very bold and daring move, if I do say so myself. Hopefully it will pay off in the end!


Well it helps to have a collection of friends and coworkers who are equally mad. :D

42317: Thanks for satisfying my curiosity about Germany! I wonder if the translation file was done by Babel Fish or something. My Spanish translator suddenly became busy so I tried putting some of the text into babel fish so the translator could just edit the text instead. Wow. Seeing how poor the literal translation handled the text, it probably won't save any time at all. I'd bitch about "Why can't technology solve this problem" if I didn't see evidence every day that people have enough trouble communicating in the same language... But that's not just going off topic, that's starting someone's doctoral thesis!

Anyway, thank you both again for your thoughts. It has given me plenty to consider...

_________________
= = = PunkDaddy - Beatin' the Brats for over 10 years! = = =
aiAnimals-Puppy Puzzler

++First Project: Princess Code++ ++MIA 2009++
Just released a non-H, Animal Game for the iPhone August 2010!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Price vs. Value. How do you decide?
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2008, 6:20 pm 
Offline
Resident Scholar
User avatar

Joined: May 13th, 2007, 7:57 am
Posts: 4121
Location: Trier, Germany
PunkDaddy wrote:
42317: (...)I wonder if the translation file was done by Babel Fish or something.

No, they were not that wrong. :D As I said the mistakes pointed toward a translator with little knowledge of modern German. Many expressions were archaic, out-of-date, out of use today, and it might just be that the translator, assuming he was Japanese, knew basic German but used one of these infamous dictionaries that were licensed in Japan during the 30s (I have seen 2003 reprints of 1941 Japanese-German dictionaries), which are great if you're looking up terms from said time (Nazi vocabulary and military terms), but...

PunkDaddy wrote:
I'd bitch about "Why can't technology solve this problem" if I didn't see evidence every day that people have enough trouble communicating in the same language... But that's not just going off topic, that's starting someone's doctoral thesis!

I've had some insight into computer linguistics and corpus linguistics and creating a good electronic translator even for simple sentence structures (subject-verb-object: "Jimmy drives a car") is a kind of hell for software developers. Human language is a most complicated process and in order to properly translate it via information technology you'd need a computer which is able to include the many situational factors like social context, discourse intentions and all such stuff.

_________________
42317
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Price vs. Value. How do you decide?
PostPosted: June 9th, 2008, 7:39 pm 
Offline
Resident Admin
User avatar

Joined: March 11th, 2007, 11:19 am
Posts: 2452
Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
PunkDaddy wrote:
I think so. Although we may offer a really expensive one ($60-$100) that comes with an original sketch. That will make the artist happy, make a few fans happy, and might make the game seem a tad bit more reasonable. There might be a discount for digital delivery if we figure that out. Fortunately, I have clarified that we will be 100% hand drawn and our plan will be to have no mosaic. We might create a version with mosaic if we license it to countries that require that, but right now, that is only a problem we HOPE to have.

The original sketch sounds nice, but I don't know if people are going to be willing to purchase the game for that much money to get the sketch when they haven't played it yet. And in that case, probably won't want to buy it later since they are going to have to re-buy the game. Maybe do some sort of deal where the people who have already purchased the game can get just the sketch for some lesser amount or simply offer the original sketch for sale and axe the bundle for now. If it becomes popular, you can do special edition releases for high prices once you have a fanbase, but until then I don't know how well it will work out coupling the game and sketch together for such a high price.

Here's a new question for you that I don't think has come up yet. What are you doing about music? I would imagine that you're going to have a soundtrack in-game, so what are your plans? Are you going to mix something yourself? Have you hired it out to someone else to come up with some tunes that will fit with the game?

_________________
Animetric Owner and Reviewer | My Anime List
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Price vs. Value. How do you decide?
PostPosted: June 12th, 2008, 1:35 am 
Offline
Junior Member
User avatar

Joined: May 26th, 2008, 12:53 am
Posts: 283
Location: SoCal
Acmurphy wrote:
The original sketch sounds nice, but I don't know if people are going to be willing to purchase the game for that much money to get the sketch when they haven't played it yet.


True. Our artist has a small following, so we might sell a few, but the primary purpose would be to make the game seem more reasonably priced... :twisted:
Not that it will necessarily work.

Acmurphy wrote:
And in that case, probably won't want to buy it later since they are going to have to re-buy the game. Maybe do some sort of deal where the people who have already purchased the game can get just the sketch for some lesser amount or simply offer the original sketch for sale and axe the bundle for now. If it becomes popular, you can do special edition releases for high prices once you have a fanbase, but until then I don't know how well it will work out coupling the game and sketch together for such a high price.


Since the sketches would be done on-demand, it won't cost us anything to offer it, so we'll probably try it only for direct orders. You have a great point about people wanting to buy it after they become fans though. Most likely we'll link to the artist and people can buy commissioned artwork at that point.

I want to be ambitious and develop a fan club that gets access to special promotions and products, but I know it is premature. The most we have right now are some character sketches on our site and we planned to launch by July! We may make that schedule, but it will be tough to make any word of mouth awareness...

Acmurphy wrote:
Here's a new question for you that I don't think has come up yet. What are you doing about music? I would imagine that you're going to have a soundtrack in-game, so what are your plans? Are you going to mix something yourself? Have you hired it out to someone else to come up with some tunes that will fit with the game?


We will be commissioning music for the game. I'll plan to post links on our site so everyone can check out all of the various features (artwork, music, gameplay, etc.), but everything is still being drawn, composed, coded, etc... *sigh* The difference between our project and vaporware is that I still believe. Now we just have to get parts finished to show the rest of the world. Wish us luck!

_________________
= = = PunkDaddy - Beatin' the Brats for over 10 years! = = =
aiAnimals-Puppy Puzzler

++First Project: Princess Code++ ++MIA 2009++
Just released a non-H, Animal Game for the iPhone August 2010!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Price vs. Value. How do you decide?
PostPosted: June 19th, 2008, 6:18 pm 
Offline
Resident Admin
User avatar

Joined: March 11th, 2007, 11:19 am
Posts: 2452
Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
PunkDaddy wrote:
We will be commissioning music for the game. I'll plan to post links on our site so everyone can check out all of the various features (artwork, music, gameplay, etc.), but everything is still being drawn, composed, coded, etc... *sigh* The difference between our project and vaporware is that I still believe. Now we just have to get parts finished to show the rest of the world. Wish us luck!

lol, well as long as it is all still coming together :) And hopefully the music will be catchy. I would imagine that for a game of this size, you're going for more of a background music type setup, so I'd be good to make sure it isn't too um, uninteresting I guess would be the best way to put it.

Also, have you thought about using an online game seller like https://www.curiousfactory.com/distribu ... bution.php which seems to run the distribution stuff for DLsite.com

Could be a quick and easy solution to your online distribution problem, and you could also use their site to expand to Japan if you get the game done in Japanese, and http://www.dlsite.com in general will reach all English speakers. Just a thought.

_________________
Animetric Owner and Reviewer | My Anime List
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group