Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 23rd, 2017, 10:54 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pure Mail
PostPosted: April 11th, 2008, 9:26 am 
Resident Scholar

I watched this two-episodes title because Dynamite Ami, also the lead voice in Sexfriend, plays a major character.

Ogata Kei is a highschool student with a difficult family background, often beaten by his father, before authorities rescued him and gave him to a benevolent relative. Since he has problems socializing with people in a direct way he chooses chatrooms over real relationships, until one day he (correctly) concludes that his classmate Midori is his female chat partner EVE, who has a crush on A,W, his internet alias.

It happens to be that Midori herself is a rather secluded personality, but she considers Ogata a trustworthy person (she asks him to take the picture she later sends to A,W). That would be one source of conflict, since Kei falls for Midori, but does not tell her about A,W, who is like an idealized version of himself, and he does not want to reveal his flawed real self, tainted by his past, as his father's blood flows in his veins.
Furthermore he is a computer expert and in a playful manner discovers that the IT teacher uses his own name as a password for his online data. His illegal log-on is detected by Yumi, a senpai in charge of the school's server. She tells him that she fabricated evidence about him hacking into the server and changing his marks, and blackmails him into a slavish relationship, forcing him to have anal sex with her. Facing his weakness does not contribute to his personality, of course.

At the same time, Midori's friend Miki has a crush on Ogata. Midori and Miki invite him to accompany them to a shrine festival, and Midori, knowing about Miki's feelings, withdraws. So Kei and Miki are alone, Ogata is overcome by the frustration of his life and ends up raping Miki. Thinking it over for a few days, Miki decides to forgive him, if he saves Midori from her loneliness, as she knows that he is interested in her, although Midori is scheduled to move to a far-away town soon.
A,W then encourages Midori to bond with her classmate Ogata, and Ogata decides to stand up against those bothering him and leave his past behind him. Yumi acknowledges his new found strong will to risk punishment for hacking and gives him all the evidence that she forged, freeing him.
Midori deepens her relationship with Kei, thus making A,W obsolete, and they lived happily ever after. In different towns, but in contact via internet.

This Hentai OVA does indeed have story, and it's not overburdened with sex, but in terms of storytelling it's also a bit strange. You know, the big anticlimax is usually situated around the beginning of the last third of a series, but in this case you'll find it right in the middle, which is Miki's rape scene at the end of the first episode. After that it's "uphill" all the way right until the very positive ending.

A thing that kinda bothered me came with the role of Eri, classmate of Kei's sister Ai. Ai asks him to act as Eri's boyfriend in order to deter a dubious guy who seems to be after Eri. Well, when Eri and Kei confront the guy, Midori shows up. Upon Kei's reaction Eri concludes what's going on, blows his cover and agrees to go out with the dubious guy, so Ogata won't look bad in front of Midori due to a stupid and embarrassing misunderstanding. But instead of going to the cinema or something, Eri and the guy consensually log in at a hotel and have sex. I was quite puzzled. She didn't like him, but still has sex with him, whereafter she falls in love with the guy and becomes his girlfriend. Like, what?

First, this event shows that the OVA should have been longer. There should have been a platonic date, which would have added believability (if that's an existing word).
Second, what you get is a sex scene with a completely unimportant character, who has no emotional relationship with Ogata. It seems to be in the show just because the producers wanted another such scene, while, on the other hand, they did not use Ogata's stuck-up classmate who is jealous of Midori's being close to Kei. She could have seduced him, which would have looked less out-of-place than Eri's doings. It would have had a bigger impact on the storyline and the characters.

If I was to choose a series as a "middle mark" for granting quality stars, like we have in Animetric reviews, I guess it would be this one. Animation, graphics, character design, music, voice acting, it's all not bad, but it's not particularly good either. I had hopes because of Dynamite Ami, who did a good job in "Sexfriend", but other than rather lively Hayase, Midori is a quiet and reserved character, you know, keeping her voice low and polite, cute but not very emotional, not much of a challenge for the voice actress, without opportunity for show-off.

Edit: I got some names confused, which had to be corrected.
Also, I think it is not too far-fetched to assume that Ai is not his real sister but the daughter of the benevolent relative, since she does not appear in his flashbacks, and, come on, we all know how such stories work.

Last edited by 42317 on April 16th, 2008, 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 16th, 2008, 9:24 am 
Newcomer

I've watched Pure Mail before and it's really short. There should be more development with the relation of the male protagonist and the girl he chatted with.

Well, I guess this animation is just an appetizer just to get the H-Game for full story.

And for additional info, Pure Mail is created by 0verflow, the same company that brought us School Days. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 16th, 2008, 4:39 pm 
Resident Scholar

Jee, I'm happy you liked my review enough to actually post something... :wink:

Post subject: Re: Pure Mail
PostPosted: October 19th, 2009, 10:05 am 
Newcomer

Pure Mail is one of the better h-anime available. It does not have any of the nasty tentacles, demons, or gangbang rape stuff that dominates the h-anime world. There is still of course things like bondage (minimized), rape (minimized), consensual sex, and best of all, romantic sex in this exceptional h-anime title. The story centers around a typical high school teenager with a troubled past, who is befriended by a shy, but beautiful girl who also has a troubled past. The guy also befriends someone in internet chat named EVE, and he eventually discovers who that EVE is. The animation is of good quality, and of typical h-anime standards. Again, one of the very few h-animes with a good and engaging story line, with a decent drama and romantic atmosphere. The English dubbing is quite decent (to me), though often considered mediocre to most, which is typical of most English h-anime dubs. I'll admit one miscast on the protagonist's sister, she sounds like a "transsexual"! But every English casting is decent, especially the two main characters. Overall, this is a Highly Recommended h-anime title.

:clap:

Post subject: Re: Pure Mail
PostPosted: October 21st, 2009, 11:53 am 
Major Contributor

So far, i've only been able to see episode 1 through Redtube, in English of course. The dub wasn't that bad and i liked how the internet chat conversations are put on the screen at certain moments. One thing that caught me off guard was how quickly Kei figured out that Eve was Midori. I thought from the initial description that he was on a lengthy mission to find out who Eve was. The Kei/Yumi relationship was interesting to say the least, if you're a huge fan of improptu dominatrix/slave relationships since no leather or S&M gear was present in their scene together. :lol2:

I just remembered that i had seen the scene of Eri and the guy in clips before but i always thought it was from a different show, but i'm pleased it was part of this one. The dubious guy had semi long and semi blonde hair, correct? Also, i always noted that Eri looks like a younger version of Yumi but without the glasses. :mrgreen: