Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 19th, 2017, 8:54 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kurohime
PostPosted: March 31st, 2008, 7:38 pm 
Resident Scholar

This title might be known as "Black Widow" also.

Five friends in highschool age are on a camping trip, including the boys Akira, Naoya and Jun, and the girls Seiya, Sayaka, Saki and Yukari. On an elongated stroll along rail tracks and through the forest the friends get lost, and at nightfall end up seeking shelter from heavy rainfalls.
They spot a mansion and decide to ask for a stay. The mansion appears open and like left in a hurried manner, with food still boiling on a fire and an unfinished cigarette in the billard room, and nobody around.
As the story unfolds, Akira's friends disappear and reappear, sexually abused by a mysterious woman and her henchmen.

Contrary to the ANN Review, Seiya is not quite in the middle of the story, as it is Akira who spends most time looking for his companions who make the acquaintance of the antagonist one after another, once or twice. He usually leads the way and he spots the mansion first.

"Kurohime" has two episodes and its storytelling is at times so irrational it adds to the horror atmosphere. There are at least three time leaps, which is to say the chronological order of events was altered to make an impact upon the audience I suppose, and I'd say it works. With all the fear and despair, it's another work from Discovery, who seem to specialize in dark stories.

There are points, even after the concluision, that make you ask "How come the mansion was so well prepared and manned? Why was there unattended food on the fire? Why was there an unfinished cigarette at that point of time? Where did such a grub come from? How did the antagonist overwhelm two guys at once, one of whom seems pretty strong? And why can the antagonist walk through a wall?"
Asking about all that is only logical, it makes the story appear rather ridiculous, but is it really? I'd say it enhances the mood that there's something paranormal going on. I liked the overall mood very much, with madness just around the corner, and, really, I did not see that conclusion coming.

Animation and graphics are on a good level, including detailed depictions of private parts and penetrations. A negative point, though, is that foregound or background objects look a bit stiff, the respective cells being moved past the lense in a different pace in order to create the illusion of three-dimensionality. But it's not that obvious anymore once the characters enter the mansion.

The voice acting is above Hentai average I'd say, and an interesting voice comes along in the form of the character Chikami Yukari, whose Seiyû is just given as "Sakura" in the cast list, but who sounds remarkably like Takada Yumi. My research via Yahoo! Japan has not brought me closer to this mystery, the Seiyû "Sakura" has appeared in at least "Kurohime" and a small number of PC ero-games, but no information seems to be available about where she comes from or what she looks like. Maybe I like the thought that a settled great Seiyû like Takada Yumi would appear in an H-title under a false name too much, but listening to that voice of Yukari rather feeds my suspicions, no matter how often I listen to it.

I must get a sample of Takada's voice in "Tenchi Muyô" for an audio comparison. If I wanted to I could even use our university's forensic equipment in order to compare the individual traits of the voices of Yukari and Aeka. (The perks of being a phonetician...) That might be interesting.

Post subject: Re: Kurohime
PostPosted: February 16th, 2009, 1:51 pm 
Resident Scholar

Yesterday I watched "Private Emotion", known in the west as "Dirty Thoughts", a Hentai piece so insignificant that I will not even write a review about it. I became interested because the voice actress named "Sakura" had the lead role (I mentioned her at the end of the post above), and I wanted to hear another voice sample.
After the experience I am still very convinced and even more confident that "Sakura" is actually Takada Yumi in disguise. I have audio evidence, but no proof.
Still working on it.