Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 17th, 2017, 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Full Metal Panic Dôjinshi
PostPosted: January 19th, 2008, 7:32 pm 
Resident Scholar

I didn't want to name the thread after my latest scanlation for two reasons:

1. This one's a bit short to stand as an own thread. I mean, even my full story threads are quite short. The visitors are there, but it seems they don't know what to say. I don't blame them. :D
So let this be a thread for FMP Dôjinshi in general.

2. I have completely forgotten what the title of the given story was.
The picture below is only a fraction of the whole thing, but I like it for the (literal) punchline.
The rest was more or less an average Sôsuke-Chidori slash romp.

I have pondered quite a while on how to translate this, because of the term "Urban Legend".
I didn't understand what the Japanese author was referring to, since an urban legend is something completely different where I live.

What is an Urban Legend according to my cultural background?
It is a story that someone has heard from someone who heard it from another person and so on, but the source is never trackable. Furthermore it's a kind of story that sounds fantastic, but which still could be real. A standard example is "I heard of this guy who found a tarantula in the Yucca tree he recently bought!".

Some people say that popular misconceptions were Urban Legends, too. Like "Eskimos have 200 words for snow!" But I'm not so sure.

But what is an Urban Legend, a "Toshi Densetsu", from a Japanese point of view?
It took me a year of asking different people and reading a few such stories before I came to a conclusion.
A Japanese Urban Legend refers to things like "the monster in the closet", "the zombie under the basement stairs" or "the werewolf under the bed", something or somebody who lurks in the dark, suddenly appears and mostly does harmful things, yes, the kind of horrors that some kids believe in.

Enjoy... and please feel free to add your own interpretation of the term.
I'm curious.