Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 16th, 2017, 9:13 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tonari no o-Nee-san
PostPosted: October 8th, 2009, 2:40 pm 
Resident Scholar

aka. Girl next Door

Despite the English title this two episodes OVA (30 minutes each, plus credits) has nothing to do with the Manga by Mihoto Kôji.
It has a parallel to Love Hina however, as Masahiko, our eligible hero, has a crush on a somewhat older girl of his blurred memory who consoled him once when he had fallen back in elementary school. Same problem: He cannot remember her face exactly, and he will only have her as his partner, refusing any offers, now that he's in high school.
He lives with his father, a martial arts teacher who constantly wears a mask like the "Mexican Wrestler" type and who's either divorced or widowed.
Masahiko is popular with girls but due to said reasons he is rather uncomfortable with this fact.
- A Miko friend gets possessed by a spirit who seeks freedom by giving him the French and the Spanish way.
- The archetypical redhead with green eyes also offers French services.
- His teacher wants a sperm sample. She's also good at French.
- His employer harrasses him sexually (soft approach).
- The two sisters living next door want him, competing with each other.
Apart from that he fantasizes about the sisters and the Chinese girl who's training at his father's Dôjô.

It all comes along in a light-hearted comedy way, apart from a scene in which Masahiko saves one of the girls from a perilous situation, but there is also a tendency towards the ridiculous. As can be seen in flashbacks Masahiko remembers the following things about the girl from back then: She has long blue hair and she is, my guess, at least six years older than him, judging from her character design and clothing in the flashbacks. And still he wonders about several girls who don't have any of these attributes, whether they were the older girl (the o-Nee-san) from his past.

The technical attributes of the two episodes are satisfying imho. Voice acting is good, without any names that would really ring a bell, graphics are good, sound is good. Female private parts look rather crude, and male private parts look red, but there's no mosaic pixles hiding anything. Sexual intercourse is depicted in detail and without any kinky stuff, all consensual sex.

Unlike Love Hina, if I remember correctly, there is a solution to who is behind the vaguely remembered figure. You might call it a plus, while at the same time it's a bummer. The Japanese title gives it all away. Clearly not a good choice of title.

Post subject: Re: Tonari no o-Nee-san
PostPosted: October 12th, 2009, 8:02 pm 
Newcomer

42317 wrote:
aka. Girl next Door

Despite the English title this two episodes OVA (30 minutes each, plus credits) has nothing to do with the Manga by Mihoto Kôji.
It has a parallel to Love Hina however, as Masahiko, our eligible hero, has a crush on a somewhat older girl of his blurred memory who consoled him once when he had fallen back in elementary school. Same problem: He cannot remember her face exactly, and he will only have her as his partner, refusing any offers, now that he's in high school.
He lives with his father, a martial arts teacher who constantly wears a mask like the "Mexican Wrestler" type and who's either divorced or widowed.
Masahiko is popular with girls but due to said reasons he is rather uncomfortable with this fact.
- A Miko friend gets possessed by a spirit who seeks freedom by giving him the French and the Spanish way.
- The archetypical redhead with green eyes also offers French services.
- His teacher wants a sperm sample. She's also good at French.
- His employer harrasses him sexually (soft approach).
- The two sisters living next door want him, competing with each other.
Apart from that he fantasizes about the sisters and the Chinese girl who's training at his father's Dôjô.

It all comes along in a light-hearted comedy way, apart from a scene in which Masahiko saves one of the girls from a perilous situation, but there is also a tendency towards the ridiculous. As can be seen in flashbacks Masahiko remembers the following things about the girl from back then: She has long blue hair and she is, my guess, at least six years older than him, judging from her character design and clothing in the flashbacks. And still he wonders about several girls who don't have any of these attributes, whether they were the older girl (the o-Nee-san) from his past.

The technical attributes of the two episodes are satisfying imho. Voice acting is good, without any names that would really ring a bell, graphics are good, sound is good. Female private parts look rather crude, and male private parts look red, but there's no mosaic pixles hiding anything. Sexual intercourse is depicted in detail and without any kinky stuff, all consensual sex.

Unlike Love Hina, if I remember correctly, there is a solution to who is behind the vaguely remembered figure. You might call it a plus, while at the same time it's a bummer. The Japanese title gives it all away. Clearly not a good choice of title.
So when are you going to post some more h-manga scantalations online?

PostPosted: October 13th, 2009, 9:55 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
TornadoTatsumaki wrote:

Looks like you've got a fan of your work on here 42317! :gatsu:

Nice to see you around the forum again TornadoTatsumaki. Though if you have specific questions for a person like this a PM may be the better route.

PostPosted: October 14th, 2009, 1:12 am 

42317 wrote:

The French and Spanish ways? I'm sure this was covered elsewhere, but can you point the way or explain a bit? Thanks!

++First Project: Princess Code++ ++MIA 2009++
Just released a non-H, Animal Game for the iPhone August 2010!

PostPosted: October 14th, 2009, 3:00 pm 
Resident Scholar

TornadoTatsumaki wrote:

You quoted all that in order to ask a simple question? :lol:
As for the answer... when I feel like it. :sweat:
But I already have a few ideas what to translate of my collection... I'll see to it. :wink:

PunkDaddy wrote:
42317 wrote:
The French and Spanish ways? I'm sure this was covered elsewhere, but can you point the way or explain a bit? Thanks!

C'mon you can't be too old for that kind of speak... on the other hand Americans are said to be either very pure or very impure, so I guess you belong to the first half. :lol2:

If you're in Paris, do as the French do.
Hooked in Spain! Ay caramba!
:d^_^b:

Other casual expressions from the text like "speaks French" have to be understood accordingly.

PostPosted: October 14th, 2009, 4:33 pm 
Major Contributor

Can i just point out one thing: in keeping with the Love Hina comparisons/contrasts, IMHO Keitaro Urashima has a way better voice than Masahiko. Everytime i heard Masahiko talk, he keeps reminding me of a siren especially when he gets hyper excited. :wtf: When Keitaro Urashima speaks, he sounds just as hyper but at least the energy is accurately expressed by the uber talented Yuji Ueda :booyah: and not sounding almost like a sound effect by whoever voiced Masahiko, the poor dolt. :shock:

PostPosted: October 15th, 2009, 1:23 pm 
Resident Scholar

G-Core wrote:
Can i just point out one thing: in keeping with the Love Hina comparisons/contrasts, IMHO Keitaro Urashima has a way better voice than Masahiko. Everytime i heard Masahiko talk, he keeps reminding me of a siren especially when he gets hyper excited. :wtf: When Keitaro Urashima speaks, he sounds just as hyper but at least the energy is accurately expressed by the uber talented Yuji Ueda :booyah: and not sounding almost like a sound effect by whoever voiced Masahiko, the poor dolt. :shock:

You're comparing the Rolling Stones with the average local band, in a way. :lol2:
Ueda Yûji stands leagues above Hentai standards and very few people in the business compare to him. Out of memory I could name maybe three or four male Seiyû of his quality.
But for a Hentai title Tonari no o-Nee-san has a pretty good dub.
Only the teacher's voice wasn't very appealing imho.

PostPosted: October 15th, 2009, 3:55 pm 
Major Contributor

42317 wrote:
G-Core wrote:

You're comparing the Rolling Stones with the average local band, in a way. :lol2:
Ueda Yûji stands leagues above Hentai standards and very few people in the business compare to him. Out of memory I could name maybe three or four male Seiyû of his quality.
But for a Hentai title Tonari no o-Nee-san has a pretty good dub.
Only the teacher's voice wasn't very appealing imho.

I guess so. Another nice little tidbit that connects Ueda-san with the hentai world is that his wife Omi Minami; who is known as Ruri in Martian Successor Nadesico where Ueda also voiced the protagonist Akito; is the seiyuu of Miko Mido, the protagonist of La Blue Girl.

I've always assumed that they met while working on Nadesico and married sometime after that, since i don't think Ueda voiced any character in the Mikoverse (or at least i'm not sure yet). And since i've observed that some seiyuu couples; at least the ones still together; are very private about the "when" regarding their weddings, that's where my assumption comes from.

PostPosted: October 16th, 2009, 2:29 am 

42317 wrote:
C'mon you can't be too old for that kind of speak... on the other hand Americans are said to be either very pure or very impure, so I guess you belong to the first half. :lol2:

If you're in Paris, do as the French do.
Hooked in Spain! Ay caramba!
:d^_^b:

Other casual expressions from the text like "speaks French" have to be understood accordingly.

I guess it was just too subtle for me- I'd never heard those euphemisms before. Hmm. If it was out of ignorance rather than innocence, I guess that makes me very impure. And stupid. :D

SO. Is there a "German way"?

PostPosted: October 19th, 2009, 11:29 am 
Newcomer

It's very unfair to compare this anime to Love Hina because: Did Masahiko ever make a promise like Keitaro? NO!!

All Masahiko said was he remembers encountering a very pretty young lady as a boy, and he plans to find out who that girl was, while Keitaro made a promise to a particular girl in making it to college, he also plans to find out who that girl was. That's a great comparison alright! :d-_-b:

The only similarity I can agree to is: "finding who the girl is theme."

But Masahiko did not make any promises to a girl, Keitaro made a promise to a girl.

Love Hina is a mainstream anime icon, while Tonari no o-Nee-san (Girl Next Door) is an underground h-anime icon.

The comparisons is downright silly! :doh:

PostPosted: October 21st, 2009, 12:31 pm 
Resident Scholar

PunkDaddy wrote:

:sweat:
I should have seen that coming... uh, well, I don't know how "official" the euphemism is, but several years ago I saw a serious show on TV that dealt with sex being related to certain countries, like "French", "Spanish", "Russian", or "Greek"... or "German". "German sex" was being presented as being linked with sado-masochism, like "sex accompanied or followed by punishment", probably because we're said to have a strong sense of discipline (which is kinda backed by WW2 memories of French citizens who compared the appearance of Wehrmacht soldiers and US Army GIs) and hierarchy.

SoBor911 wrote:
(...) The only similarity I can agree to is: "finding who the girl is theme."

I was only saying it was "a parallel" and I did not mean to say it implied more than you just said.
Both characters have met a girl several years back the face of whom they cannot remember or imagine (now that she has changed a little due to maybe growing up a bit), and while Keitarô explicitly makes the promise to the girl to only choose her in the future, Masahiko remains silent and makes the promise in his mind. I don't think that's much of a difference. Eventually they both end up with a harem of girls to choose from, and the moral of Love Hina is that life is live, in constant flow and constantly changing, and can hardly be bound to past wishes and idealism, while the Tonari no o-Nee-san writer didn't seem to like that idea and gave the story a more concrete solution. At least that's my humble opinion.

SoBor911 wrote:
The comparisons is downright silly! :doh:

42317-bashing day today or what? :sweat:

My teacher used to say the same thing about the essays I wrote for class, he only refrained from using the word "silly". :mrgreen:

PostPosted: October 21st, 2009, 12:36 pm 
Major Contributor

It's very funny how determined Masahiko is to NOT lose his virginity until he finds "that girl" but given how this is a hentai title and the amount of temptation that abounds in those 60 minutes, much like the official review said, there's NO way he could really keep it untouched until that moment. I mean, several chicks already give him oral before he finds "the one" so i guess that could count as a partial loss, right? :sweat:

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2009, 12:36 am 

42317 wrote:
PunkDaddy wrote:

:sweat:
I should have seen that coming... uh, well, I don't know how "official" the euphemism is, but several years ago I saw a serious show on TV that dealt with sex being related to certain countries, like "French", "Spanish", "Russian", or "Greek"... or "German". "German sex" was being presented as being linked with sado-masochism, like "sex accompanied or followed by punishment", probably because we're said to have a strong sense of discipline (which is kinda backed by WW2 memories of French citizens who compared the appearance of Wehrmacht soldiers and US Army GIs) and hierarchy.

Very interesting! I never heard of this before and I have absolutely no idea why... While I suppose I understand the reasoning behind sado-masochism being related to German soldiers, wasn't the Marquis de Sade French? Then again, I seem to recall that the Franks that formed France were a German tribe way, way back, right? I hope I'm not exhibiting too much ignorance. I'll just throw out the disclaimer that I never had European history and I'm an ignorant sod.

42317 wrote:
SoBor911 wrote:

I was only saying it was "a parallel" and I did not mean to say it implied more than you just said.

Hmm. It seemed rather clear to me that it was a comparison.
Is it just me or is there a rash of over-sensitivity breaking out?

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2009, 9:13 am 
Resident Scholar

PunkDaddy wrote:
While I suppose I understand the reasoning behind sado-masochism being related to German soldiers, wasn't the Marquis de Sade French?

Yes, indeed. But the relation goes back to militaristic times of the Kaiser and the self-proclaimed Führer. French are more related to "savoir vivre" (the art of living), "ars vivendi" in Italian, the lighthearted things in life.

PunkDaddy wrote:
Then again, I seem to recall that the Franks that formed France were a German tribe way, way back, right?

Who knows where all these guys came from... the Migration Period reordered the ethnic landscape. The Goths, for example, came from the Crimean area... when the Romans mentioned the Franks for the first time they had already settled along the northern border of the Empire (Rhine).

PunkDaddy wrote:
42317 wrote:
SoBor911 wrote:
Hmm. It seemed rather clear to me that it was a comparison.

Yes, it was a comparison! Of course it was a comparison!
I just never said that it was the same thing or that o-Nee-san was as good as Love Hina or anything. Why is that little statement so subversive?

PostPosted: November 25th, 2009, 9:19 pm 
Major Contributor

I was watching some clips the other night; particularly Masahiko's encounters with Aoi and Rei; and even though Masahiko does do some sexual acts, he does make an effort to keep his V on. For example, even though he and Aoi 69'd each other, his hot dog goes limp as soon as he climaxes, much to Aoi's disappointment. Considering his mission, i would think it wasn't cause he didn't have gas in the tank anymore, it was done on purpose so that they wouldn't get to any penetrating. As for Rei, she sucks him off and he lasts a long time before finally giving in to the sperm fountain but when i saw it once, i believe Rei disappeared immediately afterwards because she was actually a spirit who wanted only that, nothing more. So if anything, he DID keep his V in check despite falling victim to the acts that one does before officially sealing the deal...