Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 22nd, 2017, 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Which one do you like best?
Poll ended at December 20th, 2010, 1:03 pm
Hunter x Hunter OVA1 OP "Pale Ale" 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
Maze (OVA) ED: "Jikuu Wo Koero" 67%  67%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 6
 Post subject: OP&ED Match#2: HxH Ova1 OP vs Maze Ova ED
PostPosted: December 13th, 2010, 1:03 pm 

Hunter x Hunter OVA1 OP "Pale Ale" vs Maze (OVA) ED: "Jikuu Wo Koero"

Your vote should be based on whether you like the song, the animated sequence, the art, direction, etc, we are not voting for the series or the characters.
Here is the second match:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hunter x Hunter OVA1 OP

------------------------------------------VS-----------------------------------------------

Maze (OVA) ED

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Voting will be open for 7 days.

Post subject: Re: OP&ED Match#2: HxH Ova1 OP vs Maze Ova ED
PostPosted: December 13th, 2010, 4:27 pm 
Major Contributor

I vote for the Maze OVA ED because it has the perfect blend of everything good about anime: an uplifting song, a little bit of action, good blend of humor and even nice fan service. Though the animation quality is definitely older than the other option, that doesn't damper the experience at all.

PostPosted: December 14th, 2010, 6:45 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
This is a tough one, as both are pretty blah for me. Standard fare song and sequence on both makes it difficult to like one more than the other. I suppose if I have to vote for one I'll go for Maze as it at least has some ecchi content in there (especially with that girl trying to undress the other or some such :O.O: )

PostPosted: December 19th, 2010, 7:45 pm 
Resident Scholar

Maze wins!
The Hunter X Hunter song sounds too much like Visual Kei and looks too much like Goth subculture, and that hardly strikes the right cords with me.

PostPosted: December 20th, 2010, 6:03 pm 

Maze ED: "Jikuu Wo Koero" wins!

42317 wrote:
The Hunter X Hunter song sounds too much like Visual Kei and looks too much like Goth subculture, and that hardly strikes the right cords with me.
What is visual key exactly? Goth subculture?

PostPosted: December 24th, 2010, 2:30 pm 
Resident Scholar

wolfwood wrote:
42317 wrote:

Visual-kei is a form of music, you know that much. "Kei" is often written "Key" for exotic reasons, it has nothing to do with locks and stuff. "Kei" is a morpheme roughly meaning "style" or "genre".
"Wild-kei" for example is a sort of manly style to dress and behave, not really "wild" as in "running wild", but it takes outgoing clothes and a youthful hairstyle, together with a somewhat rebellious attitude. It's hard to describe. "Surf-kei" is more decent than "wild" but it's also a juvenile style that includes cool behavior and baggy pants (according to my personal observation).
Now, Visual-kei is a style of music that emphasises, well, "visuals", i.e. the performance on stage. At the same time the emergence of Visual-kei has largely influenced Japanese music culture, establishing its derivates besides and maybe above "ordinary" J-Pop. Gackt would be its most popular representative. He's not pure Visual-kei, which is way more extravagant, but you can clearly see the roots.
I think that Visual-kei comes from the tradition of Japanese metal, compare bands like X-Japan, Seikimatsu Darling, or more recently DMC, if you like.
Here's the Wikipedia Link.
I hope I have not written any bullshit now. :sweat:

As for the goth notion - that was a personal impression of mine. It looks dark and some characters wear chains and such stuff - if Hunter X Hunter does not have a goth feel about it, what has?

PostPosted: December 24th, 2010, 3:21 pm 

42317 wrote:
wolfwood wrote:
42317 wrote:

Visual-kei is a form of music, you know that much. "Kei" is often written "Key" for exotic reasons, it has nothing to do with locks and stuff. "Kei" is a morpheme roughly meaning "style" or "genre".
"Wild-kei" for example is a sort of manly style to dress and behave, not really "wild" as in "running wild", but it takes outgoing clothes and a youthful hairstyle, together with a somewhat rebellious attitude. It's hard to describe. "Surf-kei" is more decent than "wild" but it's also a juvenile style that includes cool behavior and baggy pants (according to my personal observation).
Now, Visual-kei is a style of music that emphasises, well, "visuals", i.e. the performance on stage. At the same time the emergence of Visual-kei has largely influenced Japanese music culture, establishing its derivates besides and maybe above "ordinary" J-Pop. Gackt would be its most popular representative. He's not pure Visual-kei, which is way more extravagant, but you can clearly see the roots.
I think that Visual-kei comes from the tradition of Japanese metal, compare bands like X-Japan, Seikimatsu Darling, or more recently DMC, if you like.
Here's the Wikipedia Link.
I hope I have not written any bullshit now. :sweat:

That was all highly enlightening, thank you very much. I think I get it now, I looked up some visual-key videos on youtube and now I kind of see how you made the association there. I don't really know who is the singer for that specific song, but I think it does sound a little like the visual kei music found on youtube, although I never visualized it in that way before. I will try to keep my mind image of an average fellow singing and playing his guitar though.

Quote:
As for the goth notion - that was a personal impression of mine. It looks dark and some characters wear chains and such stuff - if Hunter X Hunter does not have a goth feel about it, what has?
Don't get carried away by that opening, the story's mood/ theme seems to change from arc to arc. The opening for that arc is pretty dark and very revenge driven, that's why it looks like that. But the overall feeling I get from HxH is that of a series full of positive energy. Never goth.
I would highly recommend watching the series, excluding the first 2 introductory chapters the first 30 or so episodes are seriously addicting and fun to watch, after that there is no way you can stop.

PostPosted: December 24th, 2010, 9:42 pm 
Resident Scholar

wolfwood wrote:
Don't get carried away by that opening, the story's mood/ theme seems to change from arc to arc.

I've heard lots of good opinions about Hunter x Hunter, so I don't mind watching at least the first few episodes to see for myself. I always watch at least five.

PostPosted: December 25th, 2010, 6:37 pm 

42317 wrote:
wolfwood wrote:
Don't get carried away by that opening, the story's mood/ theme seems to change from arc to arc.

I've heard lots of good opinions about Hunter x Hunter, so I don't mind watching at least the first few episodes to see for myself. I always watch at least five.
By all means please do!!!
: Here is a little review on the series just so you can be completely convinced you will not be wasting your time

PostPosted: December 31st, 2010, 10:08 am 
Resident Scholar

wolfwood wrote:
Here is a little review on the series just so you can be completely convinced you will not be wasting your time

Thanks for the URL. It does sound promising. I like Yû Yû Hakusho, but I'm also aware that one good work of an artist does not necessarily mean that what he does next is also good - which is to say I'm going to watch Hunter X Hunter for what it is, without prejudice and expectations, and not because it has the same author.

PostPosted: December 31st, 2010, 12:11 pm 

42317 wrote:
wolfwood wrote:
Here is a little review on the series just so you can be completely convinced you will not be wasting your time

Thanks for the URL. It does sound promising. I like Yû Yû Hakusho, but I'm also aware that one good work of an artist does not necessarily mean that what he does next is also good - which is to say I'm going to watch Hunter X Hunter for what it is, without prejudice and expectations, and not because it has the same author.

To be honest with you, I never really liked Yu Yu Hakushu. IMO HxH is in a whole another level.

PostPosted: January 1st, 2011, 1:18 pm 
Resident Scholar

wolfwood wrote:
To be honest with you, I never really liked Yu Yu Hakushu. IMO HxH is in a whole another level.

I usually can't stand fight/tournament Anime neither. But I like the Yû Yû Hakusho characters and the graphical style, at least I like that way more than e.g. in the case of DragonBall.