Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 17th, 2017, 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Watch and listen each of the videos, now, which one is your favorite??!
Poll ended at December 11th, 2010, 3:05 pm
Dragon Ball ED Theme 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs OP Theme 100%  100%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 3
 Post subject: OP & ED Tournament Extra#1: Dragon Ball ED vs Saber Rider OP
PostPosted: December 4th, 2010, 3:05 pm 

Tomorrow we'll be starting the Opening and Ending themes tournament. Today and for the rest of the week, there is a practice match, so everyone can see how it works.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vote for your favorite of the two, only after you've watched each video. Vote based on whether you like the song or the animated sequence, the art, direction, etc. We are not voting for the series or the characters, only the Opening or Ending video.

Dragon Ball ED Theme

------------------------------------------VS-----------------------------------------------

Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs OP Theme

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
About Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs: it's an animated series from the 80's, made in Japan, but then the copyrights were bought by an United States company who rewrote some of the story and made a few extra episodes. It was a popular show in the US, Latin America, even Europe (including Germany).
Personally it was among my favorites. I loved this intro, I thought it was kickass, plus I loved the guitar solo; and I still do.

About Dragon Ball: this one needs no introduction, probably the most popular anime series after Pokemon. The ending theme, no matter what language be it Japanese, English, Spanish, it's definitely a beautiful song that brings back a lot of memories.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Again this is not part of the tournament, it's an extra match meant to show how the tournament will work from here on.
PLEASE COMMENT on how you voted and why? What you liked about the song what you didn't. Have fun.

Last edited by wolfwood on December 4th, 2010, 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: OP & ED Tournament Extra#1: Dragon Ball ED vs Saber Rider OP
PostPosted: December 4th, 2010, 3:32 pm 
Major Contributor

I have voted for the opening theme to Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs. It sent definite waves of nostalgia in how the 80s shows handled the rock music much like how the Transformers movie hit pay dirt with their experimenting with 80s rock bands. It also gets top points from me due to the suit concept and how they ride mechanical horses when they get the job done. The only gripe would be that it could've been trimmed down to just one minute and not have so much repeat shots but the two minute tune more than makes up for that in the audio experience.

PostPosted: December 4th, 2010, 4:06 pm 

G-Core, thanks for the comment. You are right. That was an extended version, the sequence didn't make much sense since they were just adding the same scenes over and over again. I changed that video for a shorter one that also includes part of the guitar solo and the chorus. Most youtube videos don't include the chorus which kinda bugs me. But I did find this one in a decent quality, check it out if you want, you might like it better.

There are not many theme songs that I would pick over DB's ED theme... but my vote also goes to Saber Rider OP theme. I just love when the guitar kicks in, plus the chorus is really cool.

PostPosted: December 9th, 2010, 7:38 pm 
Resident Scholar

The DragonBall Ending song sucks eggs. It's like a lullaby - which is not surprising because the more "driving" tunes are most often, maybe even always, used as the openings.
Maybe it's not such a good idea then, to have endings and openings compete since they're different kinds of music in a sense... sorry, I should have seen this coming.

But even if it had been Saber Rider vs. Cha-la Hetcha-la I would have chosen the former because hardly anything can beat the Star Sheriffs' theme song (for purely individual, nostalgic reasons, in my case, though, as I must admit).