Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 13th, 2017, 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Poems
PostPosted: April 9th, 2009, 4:08 pm 
Resident Scholar

The following poem was written and explained by OG Animetric member Prince_Vegeta.
I do not know when it was originally posted, but I saved it to my harddrive on March 17th, 2005.

My Journey

I begin my journey,
around several blocks,
with my compatriot.
But first a detour.
I hear a giant serpent crawling eternally.
Men try to maneuver it.
What foolishness.
Light crisps and crunches beneath me,
Have bounce,
Asphalt does not have.
A coldness form nowhere hugs me.
It gently pushes my bangs,
So I am fully exposed to purity.
Despite her teeth sinking into me,
I am comforted it.
Trucks running over pebbles,
Ruins everything.
But that passes,
And distant Mallard calls,
sets it all right.
As I continue
Jackhammers and heavy grunts,
Pierce me.
I smiled and wave.
No response.
Maybe they don't see
Me.
No matter.
I have better friends.
Smelling green,
A truer smile creeps on me.

The smell of nature,
The chill of wind,
The warmth of sun,
The sound of river,
The crunch of grass.
I am in rapture,
Despite-

---------------------------

This is the analysis that he posted after my request:

This whole poem juxtaposes nature versus man and his inventions.
The voice of the poem intentionally is going out of his way to be in nature, with the compatriot. I'll get back to that line.

The "giant serpent running eternally" is a river obviously. I described it this way to make it alive, and so when men try to maneuver it (dams and so forth) they can't, since it's like taming a wild animal.
The "crisps and crunch have bounce asphalt does not have"; first off it's meant for nature to appear as more comfortable (the crisps and crunches are the sounds grass makes when you step on it, and dead leaves, and twigs and dirt). It's more forgiving than man's invention.

Next is a chilling wind that just picks up, and the voice enjoys it despite the chill. Also the purity is the sun, since light is considered pure and the sun is the greatest source of it that makes sense. He pushes the bangs out of the way so the warmth hits his total face.
The trucks running over pebbles create an unpleasant grating sound that goes against the calm beautiful nature image, thus ruining it. "But that passes" represents man in total, eventually whatever great accomplishment they manage eventually becomes obsolete, and nature is still there.

Distant mallard calls return the reader to the nature motif, thus setting it right, and the fact it's nature makes it ALL right. It shows that some time has passed between the trucks/pebbles deal, and a again jackhammers and grunts (of humans) tears down the motif again. Our voice is big enough not to hold it against them, even though it has that piercing chalkboard screech on him. So he waves to greet them. They don't respond, showing a natural coldness to their fellow man. "Perhaps they do not see" is on a separate line that me for a reason obviously. It's a question of what they don't see. It could be taken literally, but who does that with a poem? What aren't they seeing? To me it's nature and all the beauty of it all around them. They are oblivious to it.

The voice's better friends are all the aspects of nature throughout the poem that makes him feel good (isn't that a big part of what a friend does after all). Smelling green is just that natural smell that a plant gives off. And the fact that is smile is true now is that unlike his smile to the people, which was just a formality, this is a real smile from the enjoyment out of smelling the plants.

The end bombards you with all the nature images to create one big picture of nature in your mind. And of course rapture is feeling as good as you possibly can, a state of elated bliss.
The end leaves you wondering despite what. One meaning is the intrusions man has on nature, or their coldness to one another, but it has one meaning in particular. If you pay attention in the poem I never use the sense of sight. Even at the end I leave sight out. That is because the voice is blind. If you realize that then his compatriot through one meaning is the seeing I dog, and the jackhammers not seeing is very ironic. An important thing to note is that even though the voice is blind he still enjoys life and nature with the other senses, and as a result of his blindness the other senses are heightened. But despite these things the voice is still in rapture.

Remember nothing is in a poem for the sake of being in a poem. Everything contributes in some way.