Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 18th, 2017, 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Storm Shinobi's STUFFs
PostPosted: July 21st, 2010, 3:58 pm 
Resident Scholar

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
Taifu Ninja?

Storm = (jap.) "taifû" / 台風
Shinobi = , compare 忍者 = "ninja"

Weird comics you got there, man. Experimenting with expressionism? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: July 29th, 2010, 12:48 am 

And here I thought you were referring to something in the LRRH game.

More got done, but it hasn't been getting done for weeks so I wonder about the fate of the series. Need to grab my partner and make it happen again I suppose.

PostPosted: August 15th, 2010, 6:37 am 
Resident Scholar

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
And here I thought you were referring to something in the LRRH game.

I have no idea what that is to begin with. :sweat:

Again about your comic strips... is there no comment, description or anything?
Is there a story? I'm having problems seeing it, besides in some fragments.

PostPosted: August 15th, 2010, 2:02 pm 

Its open for interpretation! Like all fine art. j/k

Well its simple, a knight sets out on a journey for glory and starts by slaying the dragon and saving the princess. But the dragon was too cute with its sparkly eyes so they pair up and embark on a journey of glory. They stumble on a battlefield, beat up a dude and his army to take his glorious golden armour, which he then dons. The wizard who was tail whipped off a cliff and trampled ain't too happy about that development and comes up with a plan to nab the dragon, but a lion gets in the way and things go awry for him(what was he thinking of catching in that net anyway!) Meanwhile the princess isn't happy about being passed up like a plate of cold turkey, manages to make it out herself and stumbles upon the legendary DR0G0NSL0Y0R and decides to take revenge on the dragon and knight. The appearance of the glittery butterflies which hold absolute dominion over a dragon's attention span complicates issues. Of course there is the Dark Knight and the Dark Dragon, and one can only wonder how they tie into things.

At any rate the comic is on hiatus until god knows when. And University has come back to butt its head in my personal creative ventures.

PostPosted: August 15th, 2010, 3:43 pm 
Resident Scholar

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
Well its simple, a knight sets out on a journey for glory and starts by slaying the dragon and saving the princess. (...)

Ah! Now that makes sense. Now that I know what's up I can see the pics more clearly, so to speak.

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
University has come back to butt its head in my personal creative ventures.

I know what you're saying, just take a look at my schedule!

... oh, I don't have a schedule anymore!!!!!!!!!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Just teasing... I'm so happy I can hardly contain myself. :d^_^b:

PostPosted: August 21st, 2010, 2:50 pm 

Cuuuurse youuuuuuu---

Now to turn Eri's wardrobe into new characters! The whole spinoff idea I decided to kinda turn into its own thing.
Ouisa Eberstark, a Captain of the Black Army. Wields an Anti-Tank Pistol called Liebe, a MG42ish machinegun called Freiden and a Cutlass called Freude. She fights for the glory of how cool her uniform is with the other coloured armies. The general premise is a world at war, and the different factions are "Insert Colour" Armies that fight each other just because they wear different colours. Not much other ideas came up besides this.

I suppose she'll have a nemesis in the Red Army that rides a bear. Or is a bear.

And of course at the end, the elites from the different armies end up working together to defeat aliens.

I'll have to resort her face and maybe hairstyle. The whole hair covering half her eyes thing didn't work that well.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2010, 9:38 am 
Resident Scholar

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
Ouisa Eberstark, a Captain of the Black Army.

Is that why she has a "B" on her cap?
Care to explain the meaning of the other insignia on her uniform?
She looks badass, to use a contemporarily popular expression.
What kind of name is "Ouisa" btw? Sounds like you missed the initial "L", but of course I cannot know every name on this planet.

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
Wields an Anti-Tank Pistol called Liebe

A pistol that cracks armored vehicles? Is that one of the gadgets about which authors say something like "I haven't really thought about it much, and for your own enjoyment neither should you"? :P2:
Realistically speaking, pierching armor needs some preconditions, like high muzzle (or rather impact) velocity, or a hollow charge, or some other means to convey more energy that the armor can take or deflect. A "pistol" (small caliber, low projectile mass, low muzzle velocity, low range) doesn't sound like a promising means to me, but maybe we just have different definitions of the term in mind.

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
a MG42ish machinegun called Freiden

What you mean is "Frieden". English speakers often confuse the spelling (also in a term like "Stielgranate") because of the language change that took place between Germanic and modern English.
"Frieden" is pronounced with a long /i/ like in "peace", while the letter combination in English is pronounced /ai/, compare "lie".
In German, /ai/ will often be written "ei". It's the exact opposite and is thus often confused by speakers of English.
An illustrative example might be "Geißen" ([gaisn]) versus "Gießen" ([gi:sn]).
The first is a colloquial term for the domesticated goat (nom. pl. fem.), the latter is a town with a well-known university.

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
and a Cutlass called Freude.

Liebe, Frieden, und Freude, huh. :booyah:
Maybe this will be of interest for you:
In German, there is a colloquial or actually proverbial expression, "Friede, Freude, Eierkuchen" ("Eierkuchen" is a different term for "Pfannkuchen" = "pancake"). It literally means that everything is in the best of order, but it's usually used ironically. It can be used to mean that there is or might be something brewing beneath the visible surface (compare "Twin Peaks"), or that the orderliness is real and bordering on boredom.

Another thing is about automatic firearms. The switches on German automatic firearms say "S", "E", and "F", which stands for "Sicher" (safe), "Einzelfeuer" (single shot, half-automatic), and "Feuerstoß" (burst, full automatic). As soldiers we jokingly interpreted the "F" position as "Frieden", because things tend to be peaceful after you've blown away the enemy.

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
different factions are "Insert Colour" Armies that fight each other

I am curious to learn about the different attributes, the advantages and disadvantages of these distinct forces.

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
The whole hair covering half her eyes thing didn't work that well.

I kinda like that. I find her boots horrible. Aesthetically and practically. The heels are just screaming for a broken ankle while jumping across wet grounds. And if the boot's upper part is broadening and uncovered dirt will get inside. There's a few things uglier than sand chafing your skin and pebble fragments piercing your feet.

I know that the whole meaning of such designs is imbedded in a sense of aesthetics, but as a former soldier I must object on grounds of practicability. :|

PostPosted: August 24th, 2010, 5:48 am 

The B on her cap does indeed stand for Black. The wings and the bird on the shoulderband are meant to represent the Raven. The two rectangular badges show 3 diamonds and 2 stars respectively. The 3 diamonds badge is meant to show the rank of Captain. The two stars I haven't really thought about but recently while blogging about this I decided she would be the Captain of the 2nd Star of the Raven Wings, a special forces team of the Black Army. Maybe there isn't even a 1st Star, but the 2nd Star leads others to believe there is a first. Ouisa was a name I kinda just looked up from a name database which apparently is German and means Warrior Maiden or something along the lines of that. Now I can't seem to retrace my steps back to the source nor am I sure about the validity of my source, but it sure is a unique sounding name! As for Eberstark, I think it meant as-strong-as-a-boar, which she certainly is.

As for the Anti-Tank Pistol, if I had to explain it... its a ridiculous large caliber hand cannon more than anything firing large explosive projectiles with shaped charges. Or High Explosive Incendiary/Armor Piercing Ammunition. Bullet caliber will be somewhere between 12-15mm. I'll probably arbitrarily pick a number in between with a decimal point. Of course such a weapon will have enormous recoil, even with a stock and all but people are fighting over the colour of their uniforms. Such people involve total badasses who fight in high heels and wield machineguns one handed and defy any notions of practical combat and drive strategists nuts. Mostly I thought the Mauser C96 was a bit too boring by itself and rendered a bit useless if she's gonna tote a MG42 around like a maniac, hence the consequent upgrade.

For the weapon names, I thought it'd be funny to have weapons named Love, Peace and Joy. Since weapons tend to represent the exact opposite. It is interesting that it was joked about that the Full Auto interpreted as Peace. I kinda named the weapon for similar reasons.

As for the boots, I was thinking of redesigning those but haven't quite gotten anywhere with them. I guess I could draw the usual laced boots I always draw, but I kinda wanted some boot variation. Either way I want to make it a joke that she fights in high heels and a tight miniskirt because she is badass enough to do so. Setting the boots aside, I don't think officers normally charge out to fight in such uniforms anyway.

I did some thinking about the champion of the Red Army, and decided it will be a anthropomorphic bear which wields a converted artillery piece as a handcannon(just because it seems totally ridiculous and completely suitable for a giant bear man). Maybe it will have more weapons with different names, but all will be different vocalizations of a roar. Like GRAAAOOOO is the cannon and GRRRRAAAARR is... something else.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2010, 7:59 am 
Resident Scholar

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
Ouisa was a name I kinda just looked up from a name database which apparently is German and means Warrior Maiden or something along the lines of that.

Well, I am not overly familiar with the ethymology of historical German names, but I can assure you that "Ouisa" is not a modern German name. I superfiucially looked the name up on the net and the only persons of that name I could find were from your side of the Atlantic.

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
she's gonna tote a MG42 around like a maniac

You do know that thing weighs 25 pounds... without ammo. Even I don't "tote" it just like that. Furthermore an original 42 spits 1800 rounds per minute, an ammo belt usually has 100 rounds, and if you don't change the barrel after 200 rounds of consecutive fire the barrels gonna take deformation damage due to overheating. You need two people for that gun - one who shoots and another to carry the equipment, that is extra barrels and smaller spare parts, and the ammo.

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
Setting the boots aside, I don't think officers normally charge out to fight in such uniforms anyway.

No, of course not. You could sell that design as a sort of dress uniform.
A field uniform should look more casual, maybe somewhat baggy. Soldiers tend to carry lots of stuff in their pockets.

PostPosted: September 10th, 2010, 3:24 pm 

I had an idea present itself to me in a dream. Like the whole idea was the dream. Except like I didn't think it was that good or anything or I'd go OH SHIT BRILLIANT, IS THIS DIVINE INSPIRATION FROM MUSE?!

But due to the odd nature in which an idea presented itself to me rather than the usual me digging around here and there and piecing crap together, I might as well write it down somewhere for reference.

It was kinda like I was watching an anime oddly, but then game menus popped themselves up somewhere so I reckon it is also a game idea. The dream was kinda like the prologue or something.

Basically there was some schmuck of a main character, kinda blurry memories of him but I remember not liking him or her! Rash and hot headed and had this beef with the owner of the mansion he was trying to infiltrate. With him was some tall mysterious sorta typical bishounen with glasses, gray hair I think. Had this black cloak. Got mentioned somewhere that he was some kinda powerful alchemist. Although I think in the context of the situation, he was leaning toward the FMA kinda alchemist rather than the lab pour potions around type. There was some party going on or something, and the main character was infiltrating the place while the alchemist was kinda doing the whole social blend in nonsense, and did some nonsense with his cloak which I didn't really get. I think he was trying to draw attention away from the main character or get away from guards or something!

Either way they were targeting the owner of the mansion who was some powerful mage of some sort. And then wham, this whole RPG dialogue nonsense just kinda poured in with menus. Basically the main character had to somehow defeat the mage in one turn or something and somehow 'capture' him, turning him into a playable character of the party against his will. As for how, I have no idea. And somewhere along the line, it was mentioned that the alchemist was willingly captured and helping out the main character for his own agenda. Then I got presented this menu with all these magical symbols, which supposedly light up when the main captures a mage and underneath is displayed their loyalty. And captured mages will eventually break free of his control if you don't somehow secure their loyalty...

So with these bits and pieces put together, it seems like some kinda weird RPG idea where the main character can capture powerful magic class people. As for what the hell he wants, why the hell he is doing anything and just what the hell is really going on... dream ended before that. But this forceful contract gotta catch'em all premise does seem sorta interesting to me so god knows if I will try to flesh the idea out. I mean, I wasn't even trying. I was asleep and this idea just came like that outta nowhere. All completely involuntarily. Either way this is me writing it down best I can before I forget it for good.

Although afterwards though, with all the fantastical nonsense in my head.... I was thinking if there was a way to have a fantasy RPG party without the usual nonsense of hero going on a quest and collecting people somehow. Then it kinda shifted to a historical medieval setting and wondering what an 'RPG' party would be in there.

So I thought the closest sorta thing we are getting to that is a freelance. A free knight and a buncha other fighers and whatnots, a mercenary party with chivalry involved somehow. Then I just kinda pieced things together thinking about it at random times during the day.

The main character is a somewhat middle aged knight who is a seasoned veteran of sorts. Was involved in a civil war in his nation over the right to the throne, a succession war so to speak. At a crucial hold the line battle he got shot off his horse in a knightly calvary charge, but his armour took most of the impact and he was barely hurt. But falling off his horse and the resulting mess from the rest of the charge from behind him kinda knocked him out and he woke up after the battle was lost. But he managed to survive the mess and avoid being taken captive. And as a result his family got slaughtered somewhere as a result of their failed battle. Occupying armies being asshats when they move into towns and stuff. So he got this guilt issues, survivor's guilt and the whole failed to protect his family thing.

Although that is not to say his whole family his dead, just his wife and kids. The war kinda ended before he could get back into the action so he decided to be a free knight as well as seek out the other part of his family, parents and siblings and see what was up after all these years. They were living in places that the war hadn't quite touched so they should be alright..... right? (but it is never alright)

So I gotta kinda go back to how he went onto his whole knighthood line of work. He was a son of a fairly successful merchant and had a twin brother. He was the smarter kid and his father kinda wanted him to inherit the business but he had DREAMS OF SOMETHING GREATER. The father eventually gave in and decided to let his son live his dream and kinda sponsored his way into being a page of a local knight. And it rolls on from there, becomes squire, proves himself in combat and eventually earns knighthood for himself.

Unfortunately his parents had passed on for rather earthly natural reasons already and his brother didn't have such a good head for business and the whole thing fell apart. The brother after falling in debt became a drunkard and eventually took his own life. His wife and daughter were sold off somewhere.

So he tracks down the trail and eventually finds that his sister in law died at the hands of the slaver's brutality. Probably stabbed a bunch of people along the process of investigation. His niece got sold off somewhere so he goes down that trail. Finds out that his niece had been sold off to some noble for less than noble reasons, but she ended up stabbing him and running the hell away. One coincidence after another, he catches a thief somewhere and in the resulting scuffle, the thief freaks out about how he should be dead. Oh snap, it is his niece. Things get sorted out and he takes her in. Then he kinda tortures himself over it, wondering if this nonsense would have happened if he just stayed with this side of the family.

Onto the niece. 2nd member of the lance. Probably somewhere in her teens, 14 or 15 or something or another. After suffering abuse at the hands of slavers and being sold and being a wanted murderer of a noble and living a life of crime.... it had kinda secured her the necessary experience to be a decent RPG thief/rogue kinda character. She usually does the whole intelligence gathering, snooping around and all that. For outside appearances, she dresses as a boy and poses as the knight's page. (not a very conventional lance we got here)

As for other party members, I reckon there would be a traveling smith who isn't too shabby with an axe himself but generally stays out of battle. Maybe they were acquainted in the war, he was one of the blacksmiths responsible of maintaining swords and armour or something and doesn't have a place to settle down.

I definitely want a medicine woman in the group as a healer. An elderly lady who was living in the forest and lives a secretive sorta lifestyle. The knight picked her up along the way somewhere. She probably helped him out at some point and then a silly witch hunt got to her. He managed to bail her out with the claims that she in fact has divine healing powers. Since the chivalry of knights here also have a religious angle to it along with the usual military and honourable stuff, it kinda flew with enough convincing(and big lies). In his experience with church healers and battlefield surgeons, he found that the church was usually wrong about healing and he lost a few comrades to priests insisting they pray at open wounds and let the evil leak out and... yeah. And that the battlefield surgeon's stitching of shit up and funky forest woman medicine kinda worked. Either way handy to have someone who knows what she is doing and as part of a knight's entourage she can kinda pose at being in god's favour or something thus explaining her ability to heal to the burn happy idiots of the world.

To round things off, I definitely want an archer. A longbow user. And I wanted to represent how using the longbow had kinda made him a bit disfigured with an abnormally bulked up arm. Maybe they were acquainted as well during the war. A good tracker from having experience in skirmishing and harassment tactics.

Then to end things, probably throw in a man at arms or something. A professional soldier who had his share of fights and kinda needed something to do with the war over. He felt he was more likely to be hired if he tagged along with someone who was a beacon of all that was good. An accomplished front line fighter who isn't burdened with the codes of chivalry and thus has a more realistic view to getting shit done. Somewhat to counterbalance the knight.

So you got this rather strange group traveling the land and doing whatever. Escorting traders, hunting bandits, settling issues that require violence to accomplish... no ideas on a proper main plot. Maybe stop a war from breaking out or something.

Thus are two new ideas. One that came in a dream, and one kinda pieced together while thinking about it in the shower. I need to stop randomly coming up with stuff.

PostPosted: September 10th, 2010, 6:32 pm 
Resident Scholar

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
I had an idea present itself to me in a dream. Like the whole idea was the dream. Except like I didn't think it was that good or anything or I'd go OH SHIT BRILLIANT, IS THIS DIVINE INSPIRATION FROM MUSE?!

Some dream you got there. I don't think I can comment on that one... a little too weird to make a real picture yet.

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
a weird RPG idea where the main character can capture powerful magic class people.

Like Pokemon? :mrgreen:

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
a fantasy RPG party without the usual nonsense of hero going on a quest and collecting people somehow.

Sounds like a revolution in storytelling!
I mean, what else makes up a mesmerizing story? A protagonist always has a problem to solve, and no matter how short the trip to the solution is it's still a "quest". If there is no problem, at least no serious one, what you get is slice-of-life. Slice of life makes a good idea for stories, but I don't think that it can stand as a game concept because the idea of a game is that the player does something. Even farming games (like "Harvest Moon" maybe) that are close to the slice of life genre have problems to solve, even if it's only seeding a field at the right time. :booyah:

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
Then it kinda shifted to a historical medieval setting and wondering what an 'RPG' party would be in there.

Realistically? Who travelled freely during the middle ages?
Knights, criminals (like your thief), beggars, some monks, maybe pilgrims, state officials, merchants, and mercenaries came up during the Renaissance.

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
The brother after falling in debt became a drunkard and eventually took his own life. His wife and daughter were sold off somewhere.

Hm, that was not usual. During the Middle Ages slaves were caught in pagan Eastern Europe and sold to the Byzantine Empire or the Muslim Emirates. Enslaving fellow Christians was rather unthinkable. Well, at least after the Pope prohibited it in the 10th century if I'm not mistaken.

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
she dresses as a boy and poses as the knight's page.

Pages and Squires are different things by the way.

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
As for other party members, I reckon there would be a traveling smith

The notion of "journeyman years", craftsmen travelling across the country in order to gather experience in their trade, is a rather new phenomenon (18th century?), established after the Middle Ages.

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
He managed to bail her out with the claims that she in fact has divine healing powers.

Add a monk to the group and let him do the bailing out. I think it comes across more realistically. Any "magic" would rather be attributed to the devil, rather than the heavens, during those superstitious times.

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
Since the chivalry of knights here also have a religious angle to it along with the usual military and honourable stuff

Oh, your medieval setting has changed into a fantasy story with semi-historic background...
Well, your travelling knight could be a Templar... or a Teutonic knight... knights who lived a rather monkish life, serving god rather than a feudal lord.

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
An accomplished front line fighter who isn't burdened with the codes of chivalry and thus has a more realistic view to getting shit done.

I don't see how a good set of strong ethics could be an "unrealistic view" on life and getting "shit" done. But I agree that sometimes you need such people.
I remember that certain scene in "The Gamers 2": "What a nice example of rustic architecture!"
Spoiler
(The Paladin turns away as the groups tortures an opponent, seeking vital information)

PostPosted: September 10th, 2010, 11:28 pm 

I guess it is not a true historical medieval setting in that it isn't actually properly based on real world countries but more like some weird fictional nation based upon medieval England with other bits of Europe thrown in. Didn't knights have a whole religious angle to the whole chivalry thing though?

Having a monk along for the ride would be interesting. I guess he would be more convincing than just a knight since we aren't exactly talking about fantasy paladins here.

As for the man at arms. I was thinking that knights are kinda prone to take the honourable and brave approach to battle. And thus certain tactics might be beneath them like slaughtering people in their sleep or something. But I guess I am getting a bunch of contradictions floating about. The knight has seen his days in combat and is probably a bit jaded from all that has happened, and isn't exactly the silly idealistic type. He uses his niece to do stuff that would be considered underhanded. Well something to think about.
But I guess the knight is more likely to storm a bandit hideout and take them out in the face of combat along with offering them a chance to surrender. The man at arms isn't going to ask questions and torch the hideout and then stab them as they come running out.

PostPosted: September 12th, 2010, 7:44 am 
Resident Scholar

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
Didn't knights have a whole religious angle to the whole chivalry thing though?

Not really... they of course confessed to be devout Christians but that didn't stop even their most well known representatives to be slaughtering bastards. Like Simon de Montfort, who is mostly remembered for his decisive role in the rebellion of the English barons in 1263 and praised as a sort of founding grandfather of parliamentary democracy. In fact he was a ruthless warrior and commander who was responsible for several mass atrocities. Those were such times, ethics and morale stood on different grounds than they do today, so we cannot really judge these people from a contemporary point of view. But the nobles used the notion of devine birthright as an excuse to opppress and rob, they were no angels. The knights from the countryside often enough couldn't even read or write and had no whatsoever refined manners, unless they had frequent contacts with a higher court.
How do you clean yourself after defecation? You use your left hand and smear the excrements on your trousers.
You find your chambermaid sexy? Well, just take her, her opinion is unimportant.
While travelling, how do you make a farmer give up his secret stash to feed you? You tie a rope around his genitals und suspend him above a fire place until he tells you.
There were, no doubt, exceptions, though. France, for instance, had an age of chivalry at the threshold to the Renaissance, under Henry II..

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
I was thinking that knights are kinda prone to take the honourable and brave approach to battle. And thus certain tactics might be beneath them like slaughtering people in their sleep or something. But I guess I am getting a bunch of contradictions floating about.

Well, you can go along with beloved romantic clichées or you can go for realism. In the latter case you better forget that Arthurian nonsense. The too good to be true kings and knights are most often products of fairy tales (effectively picked up during the age of Romanticism in the 19th century), which were told among the populace to keep up hope for better times. (Henry IV. of France came close, however.)

PostPosted: September 28th, 2010, 5:53 pm 

New idea pitch. An idea for a fantasy action rpg videogame. From premise to gameplay.

PRINCESSCAPADES (Name is subject to change)
Character design also subject to change.

Once upon a time, there lived a princess in a kingdom with an obnoxiously long name. She lived a happy princess-like life waiting for her prince charming to strut along when suddenly, during a party THE EVIL LORD OF EVIL abducts her! She is locked up in the EVIL DUNGEONS OF EVIL awaiting an UNKNOWN FATE OF THE UNKNOWN other than the fact that it is key to WORLD DOMINATION-- OF DOMINATION! OF THE WORLD! Uh.. yeah.

So she is twiddling her thumbs in a dungeon cell, thinking that any moment her prince will come charging in and saving the day. Instead she gets the day's papers!

HEADLINES! PRINCE CHARMING ELOPES WITH KNIGHT IN SHINING ARMOUR! HOMOSEXUALITY ON THE RISE!

Oh bloody hell. Even the Plan B ain't coming. Whatever shall the princess do?

TAKE MATTERS INTO HER OWN HANDS.

But how? She is in a dungeon cell with no way out. So, look around for clues!

There is a skeleton with a bag. Oh snap! This bag. It is the standard issue Adventurer's Bag for Adventurers! The versatile, ever useful INFINITE BAG OF INFINITY! It is a bag, and you can fill it with years worth of potions, armour, weapons and supplies and it will never be full. Seems to negate mass as well. I guess we could call it the INFINITE WEIGHTLESS BAG OF INFINITY AND WEIGHTLESSNESS... but lets just call it THE BAG.

Inside there is a buncha copper coins. Whoopee.

But suddenly! THERE IS A TRAVELING SALESMAN TRYING TO SELL THE PRINCESS STUFF THROUGH THE BARS OF HER CELL DOOR!

And good thing he is selling a LOCKPICK SET! OF LOCKPICKING! And it is only worth a few coppers.

Thus begins the Princess' quest. To escape! To defeat the EVIL LORD OF EVIL! TO SAVE THE LAND!!!

-----

This is the premise of the epic action RPG adventure dungeon crawli--- whatever. You play as a princess who has to escape the clutches of the evil lord. But it would be too easy if it just ended with escaping. Normally princes and knights have to beat the evil lord and save the land along with rescuing you. If you just plain escaped, you'd probably get captured again. So defeat the evil lord it is!

But how will a princess untrained in the arts of combat manage to beat the evil lord? Of course through extremely convenient deus ex machina items!

-The Swordsman's Skillbook of Swordsmanship

-The Wizard's Spellbook of Wizardry

-The Rogue's Guide to Being a Rogue

-The Archer's Art of Archery

"The writer sure has a redundant writing style of redundancy!"

Awesome books with lots of redundant information that hammer the knowledge you need into your brain! And thus the princess becomes a seasoned fighter with just some book reading.

The idea is that the first few areas of the game introduces you to the set of disciplines you will/can use to get yourself through the game. Finding a book also means you find the equipment required close by. Now onto the combat system.

The idea with the combat system is that there will be a distinct difference between armoured and unarmoured opponents. Unarmoured opponents can be taken out the usual way. Armoured opponents? This doesn't mean they take less damage or have an extra health bar labelled armour on them. They are impregnable steel coated knights. Thus you gotta find ways around their defense. Also there is a fatigue system, so you gotta use your moves wisely too.

First Swordsmanship.

Swordsmanship is divided into Fencing and Two-Handed. The general gist is that you have to aim your weapons, and aiming at different parts of the body results in different sorta actions.

Fencing is the use of thrusting swords such as the rapier and the estoc. Fast with decent reach, but poor defensive capabilities. Your blows are easily deflected, you can't deflect blows easily. So it is speed and precision and strong at duels, so you want to get your enemies to come at you one at a time. Against unarmoured enemies, you can easily poke the hell out of them as long as they aren't swatting your weapon away with swinging weapons. Just time it right. Against armoured opponents though? Not so easy. You have to take them by surprise, at which their weak spots will be highlighted and you can go for it. A good thrust into the armpit will take them out. So will getting them clean through the slit of the helmet. From behind, you can stab them behind the knee and drop them on a knee, and then you can perform a special finisher where you smash the side of his head with the pommel of you weapon and drop him to the floor before stabbing him in the face. Or something like that, either way they are one leg down and with their mobility hampered, easily finished off or avoided. Essentially you have to ambush armoured opponents, or wait for them to slip up or exploit openings after dodging attacks. Also does not tire you out much, leaving you energy for moving around or even disengaging. A duelist's weapon essentially, speed and precision.

The Two-Handed sword isn't just a aim and poke weapon. It has two stances, the default and the Half-Sword. In the default stance, you can slash or hew. You aim with a line shaped crosshair/aimingthing that outlines the arc of your slash. You slash with respect to your movement. Slashing is the default attack, decent reach and coverage and cuts up unarmoured opponents as well as providing decent defense against enemy attacks. It can swat rapiers and estocs aside while clashing equally with other edged weapons. Utterly useless against armoured opponents. Hewing is a strong put your back into it attack. Probably executed by holding down your attack button, Slow and powerful, takes out unarmoured opponents in a single swipe. While it won't hurt armoured opponents, the blow is still strong enough to knock them around a bit. Possibly knock them unconscious if you get their head. Missing a hew means you leave yourself open to counterattack. Either way this is probably your preferred choice against a large amount of unarmoured enemies in open areas, allowing decent balance between offense and defense. Extended combat means you tire out however, so you have to watch yourself.

Half Swording is used as an alternate stance with the Two-Handed sword. Probably easily switched to and fro with the designated 'alternate fire' button so to speak. The half sword stance has short range but a large variety of attacks aimed at disabling an opponent before following it up with a killing blow. I always wanted to implement Half Swording as a gameplay idea somewhere..... Default attacks is a simple club and thrust combo, a quick short ranged club with pommel followed with a stab with pointy bit. But where the weapon shines is through its 'variety via targeting'. If the enemy on guard, the system doesn't activate. However, if you catch your opponent off guard you can perform special moves. Targeting their legs results in using your weapon's crossguard as a hook to lift your opponent's leg and tripping them over. If you are quick enough, then you can thrust through their helmet as a killing blow. Targeting their head results in a powerful pommel strike to their head, dropping them onto the floor. Again, if you are quick enough you can use your good thrust. Or if you can get around their back and catch them unaware, drive you sword through their armpit for an instant kill. While this stance can be used against unarmoured opponents, you will generally find that the default stance and fencing will be more effective. Less tiring to use than the default stance.

Overall the Two-Handed sword with its stances are most characterized by strength and versatility.

Swordsmanship will probably be the bread and butter of combat.

Wizardry

Wizardry is the use of the Wand and Staff rather than having a buncha spells at your beck and call. Quite contrary to the Wizard's SPELLbook of Wizardry but the books are nonsensical items already. Magic generally does not differentiate in use against armoured or unarmoured opponents. Armoured opponents might be resistant to certain wands or staffs however.

The Wand is like your trusty sidearm. Weak but fast to fire. Depending on the wands you have, they might even have a variety of debilitating effects. Prolonged rapid fire will tire you out so you will have to watch your fatigue. Akin to a FPS submachinegun. Somewhat aimed at softening up enemies at range before switching into melee combat. You can also fire from cover with the wand. Which means there is a cover system. Generally to debilitate and harass.

The Staff is the heavy weapon. The rocket launcher. There is a fair bit of build up time at which while you can adjust your aim, cannot change your position. Also tires your character out in a single blast, so you gotta make sure your shot is worth it. Generally does stuff like launch high explosive fireballs or magic beams of utter annihilation. Not many things can survive a hit from these. A tactical use weapon, good for ambushes or attacking from a terrain advantage. You can't fire these from behind cover.

Wizardy provides powerful ranged options but lack defensive options at close range. A wand does not provide enough stopping power to drop a swordsman that is ready to swing at you in a few seconds. Either used to soften approaching enemies or annihilate small groups of enemies by surprise.

Being a Rogue

The rogue is split into the Dagger and the Dart.

The dagger has limited use in direct combat. It does light damage to unarmoured opponents and is utterly useless against armoured opponents. And it has really short reach. The idea is that it can kill people silently. While you can ambush people with the aforementioned weapons, you tend to cause a big flash or let a guy scream. Sneak up on somebody with this and you can hold their mouth shut while you slit their throat. Or stab their heart.

The dart is an ammunition based ranged attack. The dart generally does little to no damage and is hopeless against armour, the range sucks but has a variety of effects along with rapid fire. You can toss a bunch of poison darts and run away while your enemies slowly die, or even the odds with a fast acting paralytic before switching to a more viable combat form. The idea is the ability to engage and debilitate multiple enemies in situations where stealth and dagger will not work. Darts can also be used stealthily. In a situation where getting close with a dagger means revealing yourself, you can stay hidden and hit people darts. Only the person you hit knows where you are but he drops soon after from poison, leaving his mates to be confused. So you can escape and relocate and do it again.

Rogue skills are for stealth and disruption. Take out lone enemies without causing an alarm, spread confusion and discord amongst larger groups.

Archery

Archery is divided to the longbow and crossbow.

The longbow is a versatile but difficult to use weapon that is capable of performing decently at various ranges. General idea is hold down attack button, draw bow and release arrows. The weapon has the special property of letting you stick arrows into the ground if the terrain allows, greatly reducing reload times. You can fire rapidly at multiple opponents at the cost of range and power. Full power shots at close ranges will hurt or kill armoured opponents, but you gotta be willing to take the risk. Also tiring to maintain the use of full power shots. Plus you will continue to tire out while keeping your bow drawn, like while holding out for an armoured opponent to close in enough or to get a better aim at enemies. Long ranged attacks require a good understanding of arcing your projectiles. Utilizing long ranged assaults with relocation can also confuse your opponents in open environments.

The crossbow is far easier to aim and shoot in comparison and has good accuracy at close to mid ranges. Just click and shoot. However the reload times are atrocious. Great way to open up an attack. Let off a shot, switch weapons and reload later. Also allows you to shoot from behind cover.

Archery provides more consistent firepower than Wizardry, but can be difficult to master. Also limited by ammunition.

The gameplay ideas are a toss of some new and old ideas, but I'm trying to reflect some realistic-ish aspects of medieval battle. I might split armoured opponents into several types even. Maybe theres lighter mail armoured enemies, or partial plate enemies. Heck, maybe even shields.

Not Fighting at All!

Sometimes the powers of persuasion can get you through. Some enemies can be spoken to and reasoned with.

"Why should I listen to you wench?"

*Squeezes breasts together*

"IT IS A GOOD DAY TO DIE!"

Or you can simply avoid conflict altogether in various other ways.

Role Playing Game

It is a role playing game in this aspect. You get to choose how to do things. As you journey from out of the dungeon, you enter the castle grounds and there are various buildings and areas at which you can choose to start at. The Evil Magic Tower, the Barracks... bla bla bla. Either way you probably have to go through the bulk of them before you can gain access to the Evil Main Castle of Evil.

As you make your way through, you will find some less than motivated/smart/brave/loyal minions of the Evil Lord. Some support you by default but have been forcefully pressed into service. Some are just real stupid and can be tricked. Some don't want trouble. And you can present yourself as the current bigger threat to their lives than the Evil Lord. Also there will be prisoners which you can free and use towards your goals.

There will probably be a disguise system of some sort. You can don certain outfits to avoid conflict in certain situations. More alert guard patrols will stop and recognize you, the more lazy enemies will just walk past without thinking.

You can probably take over a building somewhere and gather supporters and potentially incite a rebellion. You might through snooping around, find a diary of a minion aiming to ursurp his superior. By placing that diary elsewhere, you can cause some trouble.

So how will it be in the end? Murder your way through everything? Incite a rebellion and turn the powers of evil to the side of good? Show that you are even more evil and take over the place? Or cause enough discord that the whole place falls apart?

---

Either way the most ridiculous start of an idea has escalated into quite an ambitious idea with a silly amount of posibilities and new game mechanics. The idea can actually be dissected. The gameplay ideas can easily fit into any other fantasy premise. The story premise can be retold as a linear story. Either way, haven't had a grand idea since Project Hive and it has been fun getting this all out. Hopefully I will get a chance to make this someday.

PostPosted: October 4th, 2010, 3:32 pm 
Resident Scholar

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
PRINCESSCAPADES (Name is subject to change)

Some good ideas there, not much to comment.
I like the notion that there is no prince coming to the rescue - you have to save yourself, princess. That's a good thing to teach, and not just for girls.

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
HOMOSEXUALITY ON THE RISE!
(...)
Whatever shall the princess do?

Are all guards male gays or hetero women?
On the other hand that's probably not the kind of game you want... :sweat:

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
-The Swordsman's Skillbook of Swordsmanship
-The Wizard's Spellbook of Wizardry
-The Rogue's Guide to Being a Rogue
-The Archer's Art of Archery

Will the player choose a single one of these paths (or maybe a crossover option between two of them) at some point or can he or she pursue all of them simultaneously (which would be a little overdone imho)?

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
Half Swording (...) Targeting their legs results in using your weapon's crossguard as a hook to lift your opponent's leg and tripping them over.

How's that supposed to work unless you are really stealthy, doing it "from the shadows". I can't imagine it would be practical once you've engaged in melee combat.

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
the powers of persuasion (...)
"Why should I listen to you wench?"
*Squeezes breasts together*
"IT IS A GOOD DAY TO DIE!"

I like that dialogue. :d^_^b:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next