Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 23rd, 2017, 2:53 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Online manga scans
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2008, 12:25 am 

Hello,
Just getting to know everyone..whats everyones thoughts on posting online manga scans. The websites that do that are pissin me off. I find websites that post every single page of every single book for an entire series which isn't fair to the companies making them. I mean to me Manga isn't THAT expensive.

Post subject: Re: Online manga scans
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2008, 5:29 pm 
Resident Scholar

This is the same discussion as with fansubbed Anime. Fan-made translations are okay imho, as long as they stop offering them after the respective product was licensed.

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2008, 6:56 pm 

I feel the same 42317.

If the manga has not been licensed I think it is ok. If the manga has already been licensed then no its not ok.

I will admit that if I am watching an unlicensed anime or manga and midway through it gets licensed, I am most likely going to keep getting it online. I also feel that if the anime or manga is that great I will buy it.

So basically make your series a good one and you got my business no matter what.

PostPosted: July 29th, 2008, 10:34 pm 
Newcomer

I think it comes down to the quality of the anime/manga. If its good the free advertising will only help and if it sucks it will hurt so I mean whats fair. I get the same feeling when it comes the movie. While I do download movies I do also buy and go watch them in the theater. If they were all good then I would go watch them but when you get movies like meet the spartans then no thanks I would rather save my money.

PostPosted: July 29th, 2008, 10:47 pm 

My position towards intellectual creation and value might be guessed, so I'm not entering there.

But think of we who, due to living in Europe, have no possibility to have access to certain things: e.g Excel Saga and Hen (two of my favourite series) have never been brought seriously into Spain and have no short-term plans to be published. Excel Saga's case was particularly bleeding since an official Spanish version was released: the series was cancelled after 4 tôbon, and the license rights are stored somewhere else by the releasers, which really make the bunny cry :mad2: ... Sort of a month ago, I discovered an amateur Scanslation which made me feel so angry that I put them somewhere else in the MangaCon, with a piece of paper saying that they were not worth even a single look. Not surprisingly, the whole 4 books disappeared after 1/2 hour :lol:
I'm seriously thinking of importing Excel Saga from the US, due to the excellent opportunity which is given by cheap dollars. Nevertheless, 18 books up to now are not something which can be taken lightly :P

Hen was never brought to Spain, not at all. I read a good scanslation somewhere, and I found that I loved the series (and the main character, as I once told you). I have more faith that Hen will be published, and then i'd buy it in Spanish.

I love books, reading in a screen is horrible... only excellent series like the ones i'm telling you are really worth being read elsewhere.

PostPosted: July 29th, 2008, 10:55 pm 

randomuser83 wrote:
I think it comes down to the quality of the anime/manga. If its good the free advertising will only help and if it sucks it will hurt so I mean whats fair. I get the same feeling when it comes the movie. While I do download movies I do also buy and go watch them in the theater. If they were all good then I would go watch them but when you get movies like meet the spartans then no thanks I would rather save my money.

What i'm against is how they put the entire series online. I think they should only be allowed to put 1 or 2 volumes online for people to read to get a taste and see if they might want to consider buying it. The companies that produce manga are losing money by random people creating websites and putting an entire series like hana-kimi or W Juliet online.

PostPosted: August 20th, 2008, 10:21 pm 
Major Contributor

Yeah I have an issue with online manga scans as well, mainly due to the fact that the quality is crap or worse. :x

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2008, 7:11 am 
Resident Scholar

spazmaster666 wrote:
Yeah I have an issue with online manga scans as well, mainly due to the fact that the quality is crap or worse. :x

But that's not necessarily the case. In fact most "specimen" that I found were okay.
Or is there something special you are referring to?

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2008, 9:51 am 
Major Contributor

42317 wrote:
Or is there something special you are referring to?

No it's just that I'm pretty picky about image quality, especially in a medium like manga where graphics are so important. In fact, one of the reasons why I choose to wait for certain manga series to be released in the states rather than read manga scans is due to quality issues.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2008, 6:37 pm 
Resident Scholar

spazmaster666 wrote:
No it's just that I'm pretty picky about image quality, especially in a medium like manga where graphics are so important.

Hm... help me compare. How about the scans that I posted so far (in the Erotic Dôjinshi section)?
How good are those in your opinion (technically)?
In my opinion they're very good.