Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 19th, 2017, 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MW (Osamu Tezuka)
PostPosted: March 25th, 2009, 7:44 am 

Not needing to present the author, I'll come to the work:

We're confronted with a story of a cold-blooded bank employee and multiple murderer, Yuki Michio, who is hated/loved by a Catholic priest named Garai, who chases/aids him. When they were younger, a gas leaking killed everyone in an island except for them two. While Garai tries to unveil the truth, hidden by a thick net of international intriguing and political corruption, Yuki has his own agenda, and will use his unhuman skills to bring along his plans...

The manga covers a lot of hot topics, which has been a source of criticism because it is said he does make the reader lose the focus (I didn't find it the case): homosexuality and its repression, Catholic doctrines on Hell and sin, NBQ weaponry, political corruption, Faust (Goethe's book), radical activism, and some others.

Tezuka's storymaking is, as always, superb, so he connects all those dense topics in a surprisingly new way. Yuki and Garai are characters which will not be forgotten if you're exposed to them. The action is breathtaking, in the best style of James Bond, and Tezuka avoids the temptation of moralising in the slightest: the characters's dilemmas are presented just like they are, crudely and objectively.

I actually can find no serious flaws in this work, actually. I'm surprised that only recently a Live Action movie has been issued from this work, which I found truly interesting and impressive.