Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 23rd, 2017, 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Concerts
PostPosted: September 13th, 2008, 1:32 am 

Wanted to see if anyone here has been to a concerts. Would be a fun topic to talk about and share our experiences.

I went to a Nickelback concert a little more than a year ago. It was pretty fun since I was probably less than 50 yards away from the band and they rocked. Every song was top notch and they stayed on stage for what seemed like forever. :clap: The openers were Puddle of Mudd(they were decent but sounded nothing like their CD) and Finger Eleven(I thought they were pretty bad since all of their songs sounded exactly like each other).

Saw a very very very small show once of The Fray. At the time I had only heard one or two of their songs so I was happy when the whole show sounded great. Bought their CD after that.

So anyone else been to a concert or small show?

Post subject: Re: Concerts
PostPosted: September 14th, 2008, 5:00 pm 
Resident Scholar

I've been on very few concerts, due to financial reasons mostly.
I've been to the "Blindman's Ball" in Stuttgart in 1997 because I was interested in Metallica. Turned out they didn't play "Seek & Destroy" which was a letdown. Plus it was hot and dusty, the dust tasted like shit, and I took it out of my nose for days. Farmer Boys and Marilyn Manson were there, too, among others. Overall, it wasn't too great, but it was a good experience.

The next concert was a System of a Down, Slayer and Sepultura triplet in some forlorn southwestern German town in 1998. It was such a small event that I'd say there were a few hundred people, the gym hall (!) wasn't even full, although Slayer were an already well-known band at the time and Sepultura were on tour to promote the new singer. Only System of a Down were still pretty unknown at the time. But it turned out to be the single greatest concert I can imagine. The atmosphere was great and it wasn't like in a sardine can with so many people that you're having problems just breathing. I've been a fan of Sepultura and System of a Down ever since. Just Slayer still just seem like organized noise to me rather than music. :lol:

My last concert so far was Nightwish in 2005. It was a great event, with great music and a great show. But I wasn't feeling too well that day and I was actually quite thankful about there being seats. Since smoking wasn't forbidden in the hall I could have fainted in all that bad air and smell. :oops:

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2008, 11:41 am 

Aside of some opera concerts (I'm attending one this Saturday), I've been only in a "mainstream" concert. I went to see SOAD in Germany: I was there due to a school trip, and a couple of friends and I decided to use the chance. It's not like they approach my homelands very often :P

I felt trapped, particularly when the whole crowd started pogoing and we were in the middle, threatened to be smashed like sandwiches.

PostPosted: May 29th, 2009, 4:54 pm 

My future wife was amazing enough to get us concert tickets to Nine Inch Nails. I was going to get tickets about two months ago but the tickets were $60 a piece(which were very close) but I knew I could not afford to go. She surprised me with the tickets which cost $30 a piece and were pretty good seating arrangement.

So happy that she did such a kind thing for me. :wuv:

PostPosted: May 30th, 2009, 2:09 pm 
Resident Scholar

Have fun!
... if that is an appropriate term to use in one sentence with Nine Inch Nails.
Seems a bit too depressive a style to actually be "fun". :|

PostPosted: May 31st, 2009, 2:42 am 

Lucky!
Go now and enjoy it as much as you can before you start measuring how much concerts cost in terms of boxes of diapers! $60 is about three cases of Huggies at Costco last time I was buying...

I haven't been to a real concert in at least 15 years. I hope I'm not too old for the pit once the kids are in college (prospects are not looking real good though...).

++First Project: Princess Code++ ++MIA 2009++
Just released a non-H, Animal Game for the iPhone August 2010!

PostPosted: May 31st, 2009, 3:36 am 
Newcomer

42317 wrote:
I've been on very few concerts, due to financial reasons mostly.
I've been to the "Blindman's Ball" in Stuttgart in 1997 because I was interested in Metallica. Turned out they didn't play "Seek & Destroy" which was a letdown. Plus it was hot and dusty, the dust tasted like shit, and I took it out of my nose for days. Farmer Boys and Marilyn Manson were there, too, among others. Overall, it wasn't too great, but it was a good experience.

The next concert was a System of a Down, Slayer and Sepultura triplet in some forlorn southwestern German town in 1998. It was such a small event that I'd say there were a few hundred people, the gym hall (!) wasn't even full, although Slayer were an already well-known band at the time and Sepultura were on tour to promote the new singer. Only System of a Down were still pretty unknown at the time. But it turned out to be the single greatest concert I can imagine. The atmosphere was great and it wasn't like in a sardine can with so many people that you're having problems just breathing. I've been a fan of Sepultura and System of a Down ever since. Just Slayer still just seem like organized noise to me rather than music. :lol:

My last concert so far was Nightwish in 2005. It was a great event, with great music and a great show. But I wasn't feeling too well that day and I was actually quite thankful about there being seats. Since smoking wasn't forbidden in the hall I could have fainted in all that bad air and smell. :oops:

Dude, Slayer and Sepultura beat SOAD anyday of the week. SOAD has always been a bad band to begin with (boring music with boring shows). Slayer has been putting out better music than Sepultura has in recent years though (both still perform great live though). I recently saw Metallica and Machine Head in Philadelphia on 1/17. Excellent show! Also, I saw Kreator, Exodus, Belphegor, Epicurean, and Warbringer at The Trocadero in Philadelphia on 4/9.
And I saw Napalm Death, Kataklysm, Toxic Holocaust (and some other bands) at The Crocodile Rock in Allentown PA on 4/10. Both Great shows. Hopefully I get to see Black Sabbath when they come to NYC in August.

PostPosted: May 31st, 2009, 7:09 pm 
Resident Scholar

Lone Outlaw (Rowsdower) wrote:
Dude, Slayer and Sepultura beat SOAD anyday of the week.

I find SoaD interesting... these three bands make rather different sorts of metal, so they all have their qualification imho.

Slayer has been putting out better music than Sepultura has in recent years

That's true from my perspective. "Roorback" and "Nation" were not bad, but not very good either. I like the disks, but they're not any of my favorites. I still have to get the DANTE album though.
"God hates us all" on the other hand... that is a mighty fine CD.

I recently saw Metallica and Machine Head in Philadelphia on 1/17. Excellent show!

There's nothing much left of Metallica than show... "Death Magnetic" is so damn boring... I recommend this album only when you're having trouble sleeping. :d-_-b:

Also, I saw Kreator, Exodus, Belphegor, Epicurean, and Warbringer (...) saw Napalm Death, Kataklysm, Toxic Holocaust

Napalm Death made some really interesting songs these last years. I haven't gotten any chances to listen to any newer albums though.
Kreator... well... "Impossible Brutality" wasn't bad imo, but that was about it.

PostPosted: June 13th, 2009, 9:04 pm 

The concert was amazing last night. Got to the show early and waited in line maybe 20 minutes before we got in. Straight to merch table and me and my girl both got some cool NIN shirts. Street Sweeper Social Club was first on stage. I had mixed feelings but they went away soon after they starting playing. Nine Inch Nails was next with a great light show. Music was great. Next Jane's Addiction which we left two songs in. The reason is because the drunk people were very annoying along with all the pot smokers.

Still had a very fun time.

PostPosted: June 14th, 2009, 1:49 am 
Major Contributor

There's a thread for concerts now?

Wow...

Last two concerts I went to were Metallica, on what ended up being their last North American tour with Jason on bass I think, and Skid Row, touring in support of what ended up being their last album with Bach on vocals...

Edit:

42317 wrote:
There's nothing much left of Metallica than show... "Death Magnetic" is so damn boring... I recommend this album only when you're having trouble sleeping. :d-_-b:

I like Death Magnetic. Wouldn't beat the black album for quality, but it's easily better than any other original stuff they've done since then...

I agree that they're better live than they are on album now, though. Even if all I'm going by is the stuff I've downloaded from their official site, even that's better than most post-black album Metallica studio stuff...

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2009, 5:24 pm 
Major Contributor

I had the opportunity one time to see Korn when they came to Puerto Rico. I think it was either '05 or '06. Like many plans in my lifetime, it fell through. Wasn't really that i couldn't get the tickets in time, it was that i changed my mind about going. That seems to be the usual reason my plans fail, because i keep changing my mind. That's so far the only closest opportunity i've had to see a band that i like in concert.

PostPosted: September 4th, 2009, 1:02 am 
Regular

^ it almost sounds like you regretted your decision.

if you have the money, do it. no regrets.

PostPosted: September 4th, 2009, 1:31 pm 
Major Contributor

dbd_addict wrote:
^ it almost sounds like you regretted your decision.

if you have the money, do it. no regrets.

In retrospect, i do regret making the choice not to go since Korn is one of my favorite bands and me and my parents were even considering the plan that since the concert was gonna be in San Juan and at night, we'd take the 2 hour ride from Mayaguez to San Juan, go to the concert, and spend the night at any nearby relatives' house because a lot of my family (on my father's side) still reside in Bayamon which is pretty close to San Juan.

It was never a money issue, since i was younger at the time so i figured if i went, Pops would pay our tickets. I just made the decision, and it was a bad call.