Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 18th, 2017, 7:18 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ancient Story of Animetric
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2009, 3:46 pm 

From some things I've read, and some users who claim to come back, I have the feeling that this was once a huge and powerful forum, full of trolls, kiddos and interesting people alike, which was blasted by a comet, or something similar.
What happened?

Post subject: Re: Ancient Story of Animetric
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2009, 4:58 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Bloodfairy wrote:
From some things I've read, and some users who claim to come back, I have the feeling that this was once a huge and powerful forum, full of trolls, kiddos and interesting people alike, which was blasted by a comet, or something similar.
What happened?

Well before I took over and created the forum as it is now, there was something like 3 other versions of all various types over the years. The last one (I think it was the last version anyway) got taken out rather suddenly, here's the link to some info about what happened: http://web.archive.org/web/200612060555 ... forum.html So in essence, it was blasted by a comet.

This was all before my time though, so maybe 42317, Fresno or someone can tell you of the tales from back then. As for the current state of the forum, it's much the same as it always was over the past two years. The number of active people and posts per day are a bit down from where they used to be, but not by too much. It's certainly a trend I hope to change, but there really isn't a fundamental difference between the forum now and what it was like at say, the end of 07. Except maybe for the disturbing decrease in actual discussions lately.

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2009, 8:17 pm 
Resident Scholar

Oh, I like telling good stories and rambling and all that... :D ... but I think of all the guys that have come back to the all-new Animetric discussion board I am the most junior (in terms of membership). When I joined Animetric for the first time in March 2003 it was already running for about five years or longer, in different forms though. I do remember that Rowena once said that her forum had started in the second half of the 90s, I think in '97 or '98, I don't clearly remember, as a sort of SailorMoon fansite, and it had an according name.
In 2003 it was already called "Animetric", and I'm making a wild guess when I say that it had already been "Animetric" for about two years. This guess is based on my memory that Spaz had about 3500 posts when I signed in, and his statistics said that he posted five-point-something comments per day. As I said, I wild guess based on vague memory.

I also think it was a pretty thriving place, but still small enough to know all the regulars. I think there was a dozen regulars who posted every day (mostly the people who can be seen in that comic), and another dozen that showed up several times a week. Man, was I happy when I had made it into the Top 10! But I calculated that I could not come closer to the top than 7th, because the Top Six guys and girls were putting out more comments daily than I did, and thanks to more communication I was slightly above 4 comments per day... impossible nowadays. I'm at not even 3.5 now.

Oh well... hm, can "April 2004" really be the time of the shutdown?
I returned home from Japan in September 2004 and I believe I made a comment on that on the board, because I'm rather sure that I said something like "I have returned to the Fatherland".
I kept a diary while living in Japan, and I mentioned "Animetric" in 24 of my documents... lets see... my last mention is from the 4th of August, 2004, where I said that after a few days of absence I had made "a quick log-in at Animetric so that the list of new posts would not overwhelm me".
Which means that Animetric was still up and running after April 2004.

In fact it was still up and running in late 2004, because I remember that a fellow faculty member also joined Animetric by the username of "deathworks", and we sat next to each other in the library, at a time of the year when it was already better to wear a jacket. That cannot have happened before I had returned home. I'd say that "April 2005" is a much more likely deadline for BRS Animetric.

There is at least one Animetric comic, at least one Animetric story (written by Anime Master David Sudzinsky), and I think there is even an Animetric RPG, created with a Japanese-style RPG construction program.
Hm, to my surprise I still have David's "Toon Wars" story on my hard drive! :blink:
Reads much like a screen play. Well, that's his thing, writing screenplays. :D

What I also have is a poem written by former member Prince_Vegeta... including an analysis of his piece, because I had said poetry was all a big riddle to me. :mrgreen:

Wow, I have stuff that I had long forgotten. Thanks, bloodfairy!
I should post that some day.

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2009, 8:47 pm 
Major Contributor

Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
Wow. Sounds like it was really fun back then and I wished I would have joined during those years. Oh well. I'll try my best to make this forum live up to its former glory. Btw, I would love to see some of the old stuff from the old Animetric you saved 42317. :D

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2009, 9:23 pm 

Bloodfairy wrote:
I have the feeling that this was once a huge and powerful forum, full of trolls, kiddos and interesting people alike, which was blasted by a comet, or something similar.
What happened?

First off no trolls and most members were grownup or at least acted like it. It was a fun place to read some very well written thoughts and opinions. I particularly enjoyed the movie section(Live Action). After I joined I found my way to massive msn chats that were fun to spend a whole night on. I spent more time on the msn side of things than being on the top-posters list.

I remember I could check the forum at any hour of any day and find many fresh and interesting posts. I could even leave the site and come back 15 minutes later and find at least two posters to my question or comment. It was a community of friendly people. No flaming at unintelligent posters. It was just a great place.

I remember leaving for a trip of just three days and returning to find animetric forum gone....Anyway, 42317 got the history of it right.

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2009, 11:21 pm 
Resident Admin

Looks like the date on the announcement was wrong. Tracked it to closing on April 23rd 2006, not 04. Which makes more sense since even I didn't think it went down so early: http://web.archive.org/web/200604270412 ... index.html

Also found the old message board that's saved in the web archives. Should bring back memories for those of you who posted on it, especially since you can read some of the posts there (usually the pinned or the longer ones) http://web.archive.org/web/200602090719 ... orums.com/

Here's the history, probably gives different posts that you're able to read given the time you look at it. Webarchives doesn't seem to keep saving all extra pages, just the main ones: http://web.archive.org/web/*hh_/animetric.ibforums.com/ (Feb. 9th 06 is the last working one)

As they say, nothing is ever lost on the web :lol:

Maybe one of these days we can bring Animetric back to its former glory :gatsu:

Edit: First link was a little off on the date, link has been updated.

PostPosted: March 24th, 2009, 11:40 am 

Ha I never finished that rpg game if it was mine you were refering to :doh:

Anyways yes...the old animetric was always full of new posts....ha...here I see like maybe one new one everyday :lol2:

I mean I'm not saying it's Acmurphy's fault...I haven't even seen most of the old members on my msn...they used to be there all the time..I think when the boards closed they all just went on and dissapeared...
Only ones I've kept contact with have been Zero...Cypher...rurounijf (though I haven't talked to him for a long time)...Wolfwood sometimes appears...its rare...as for RK85...Spaz just recently reappeared...ha...let's see who I'm forgetting....ah AD35 I still see often on the msn despite him having erased me from his list :lol2:
Ah talked to Reo recently...let's see...ah coosh is on all the time...I just think he won't remember me despite still having me on his list...oh let me not forget pyro...talked to him recently..

Wait I feel like an old man...let me go back to the point...

Which is yes...it was once a huge and powerful forum not full of trolls (ro always did her members cleaning monthly..ha...whoever had no posts...or posted only once was eradicated) but yes full kiddos and interesting people alike...which...was blasted by some comet :diss:

*Checks the old archives* Damn I had 3,287 posts...I remember being happy when I achieved the limit where you could change your title...and I was member 300..3 is my lucky number...ha I see 42317 is member 704....for some reason you feel like member 301...maybe its because you were one of the heavy posters from back than (I mean Spaz was number 1...but we know how he liked to spam :mrgreen: he posted everywhere and anywhere he could...haha)

It's as 42317 said..."I also think it was a pretty thriving place, but still small enough to know all the regulars"...like BBHood and her "Auron from FFX"..AMDS who just returned with his screenplays...well as shown in the animetric comic..we all had things that set us apart...hell we even had members contests with polls alike...

Oh fun fact before I finish with this randomness..

Digitamasta once pm'ed me saying I was cool...ha yay...to than tell me he was drunk that day :doh: ...ah boo

Edit:Ha I just keep reading the old posts (the ones that appears) and keep remembering and wanting to post more info..haha...like I was just checking this http://web.archive.org/web/20060212085237/animetric.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=5147 thread...bwahaha..Dark One you sneaky ninja dude...nice try

PostPosted: March 24th, 2009, 8:17 pm 
Resident Scholar

Really nostalgic, I enjoy reading some of that old stuff.
Looks like I got some of the dates wrong... I already joined in January 2004... I didn't remember that.
Oh well... the new Animetric is also a great place. It cannot compete with BRS Animetric, but that's not the fault of the new management. We need a handful of further intelligent members... that's why I'll always try necromancing old members whose opinions and thoughts I've alwayd valued a lot.

So some of you still have msn contact data? Why don't you use it? Telling someone about Animetric's restart doesn't hurt anyone and I suppose some people might be happy being remembered. Just try.
The "All about you Thread" has some data, too... maybe it still works...

PostPosted: March 24th, 2009, 8:35 pm 

Actually thanks to my msn is that we got most of these guys back...ha...but some just say "oh I'll check it out when I can"..and just never do :shock:

If anything I'll try again later on...the ones I have and have not been seeing here are RK85...umm...let me open my msn to remember...

*5mins later*

Oh and Reo...silentknight...dark one...coosh...seed of darkness...and like 15 other whose user names I dont remember since they dont have it as nicks on msn...

PostPosted: March 25th, 2009, 11:13 am 
Resident Scholar

Fresnokila wrote:
Oh and Reo...silentknight...dark one...coosh...seed of darkness...and like 15 other whose user names I dont remember since they dont have it as nicks on msn...

Seedofdarkness... who will be 21yo in the following December if I'm not mistaken... :doh:
I'm so damn old.

Gojira wrote:
Btw, I would love to see some of the old stuff from the old Animetric you saved 42317. :D

Since AMDS is back it's up to him to republish his "early works", ask him.
But there's no trace of Prince_Vegeta, so I guess I'll take the freedom and post the poem that he wrote. If nobody objects that is.

PostPosted: March 25th, 2009, 12:37 pm 

In the grand scheme of things, I was a fairly new member who was fairly inactive for most part. I found animetric after starting watching anime on AXN. I just started to research what was good and what I should watch and stuff, and found that animetric rated the stuff I liked highly for most part. So I was like hey, we kinda have similar tastes and standards, and used it as a guide. Then later joined the forums and talked here and there.

The forums is one of those odd places on the vast internets where everybody is nice and civil. Never once have I seen a troll or flamer or spamming idiots who post one word posts to get their post count high to stroke their ego. So I kinda hung around. Then I'd occasionally forget about the place and have these month long AWOLs. I didn't have too much to say for most part, since I hadn't watched a lot of anime then and was just starting. But now I've like over 100 titles under my belt, and am catching all the latest fansubs which is kinda in conflict of interest somewhat, since a fair few people here only watch anime legitimately. I'd be raving on about stuff nobody watches!

Due to my overall inactivity, I haven't gotten that close to the older members, so I still sometimes feel kinda new around here. And I've been rather inactive lately to boot too. I guess I should take some time to reply to a bunch of those anime threads on fairly recent stuff I've watched.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2009, 1:36 am 

42317 wrote:
Since AMDS is back it's up to him to republish his "early works", ask him.

If you're referring to "The Animetric Story," I'd be more than glad to. 8) Maybe as a separate topic? 8) But then who would remember it? :lol:

PostPosted: March 26th, 2009, 8:43 am 
Resident Scholar

AMDS wrote:
If you're referring to "The Animetric Story," I'd be more than glad to.
Maybe as a separate topic?

The one story that I have is labelled "Toon Wars".
It starts off with a dialogue between Roger Rabbit and Sin Lee.

If I am not mistaken, there was once the idea that the writings of the Short Story Contest should be put into a "Creative Writing" thread (Art Talk section?). You might repost it there, once it has happened.

Damn it, with you around the next such contest will be a lot harder. :D

PostPosted: March 26th, 2009, 1:30 pm 

I remember parts of it too AMDS...haha..

And I also remember Storm_Shinobi from the old boards..unless I'm confusing you :lol2:

PostPosted: March 26th, 2009, 9:33 pm 
Resident Admin

42317 wrote:
If I am not mistaken, there was once the idea that the writings of the Short Story Contest should be put into a "Creative Writing" thread (Art Talk section?). You might repost it there, once it has happened.

Bah, I completely forgot about that. Ya, I may as well put it in the Art Talk section and make that more into a "creative area." Thanks for reminding me 42317, I had actually thought I did it all those months ago :?