Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently November 23rd, 2017, 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The FOODSTUFF Thread
PostPosted: October 15th, 2008, 4:31 pm 
Resident Scholar

This is a thread for sharing recipes and cooking-related experiences.
Fed up with junk food and found something good in granny's cookbook or on the net?
Let everyone know - I mean, who dislikes a tasty meal?

As promised, for PunkDaddy, respectively for his wife, I step forward with a Tomato Garlic Sauce recipe that I found on the net a short while ago.

Supposedly for two persons you need

4 cloves of garlic
1 big can (28 oz) of mashed tomatos
Some cooking oil
Marjoram
1/4 cup of chopped basil leaves
Red Pepper
Salt
Noodles
7 oz of grated cheese
3 oz of diced bacon (that's my addition)

(The source was not very specific with the quantities, so I'd say add as much as you deem necessary.)

Chop the garlic into small pieces and begin boiling the noodles.
Sear the bacon in a little hot oil until it becomes crispy. (Remove it or leave it, your choice, since the only purpose is to add some flavor.)
Add the garlic bits, wait until they begin to turn brown (that will be soon!), then add the mashed tomatos, apply salt, marjoram, red pepper, and stir. Boil on medium heat for 15 minutes.
Last but not least add the basil leaves and the cheese, stir and serve.

Doesn't take long and is not very complicated as you can see.

For garlic lovers, there is a place called Garlic Central on the internet that offers various information, including how to grow garlic, recipes and health matters. Pretty interesting.

Post subject: Re: The FOODSTUFF Thread
PostPosted: October 17th, 2008, 2:28 am 

Sweet! I'll surpise my wife with it later this month.

I don't make too much from scratch, so perhaps my recipes will be more suitable for the college students out there:

Tuna Casserole:

2 Large White or Yellow Onions
2 Bell Peppers (I find red and yellow taste better but green are cheaper)
2 Cans of Tuna (I'm thinking of substituting freshly cooked catfish, but too chicken to deal with a mistake so far)
3 Cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup (condensed)
1.5 pounds of a shaped pasta (rotelli, bow-tie, etc. ~ one bag)
0.5-1.5 cups of shredded cheese (depends upon how much you like cheese)
1 tablespoon minced garlic
Pepper
Olive Oil
Milk
1 teaspoon or so of Chili Garlic Sauce (A Vietnamese/Chinese sauce for kick. You can easily substitute Tabasco, or some other hot seasoning as you wish).

Boil water in a large pot for the pasta.
Wash and chop the onions and peppers into pieces less than 1" square (~2cm square).
Put as little olive oil in a pan as you can without burning the veggies and turn on the heat.
The water should begin to boil during this next step, so open your pasta in preparation to add it to the boiling water.
Saute (stir-fry) the onions and peppers until the onions start to become transparent and the peppers become a bit limp.
Add garlic and pepper to skillet and continue cooking ~1-2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
Drain tuna and spoon into large casserole dish or oven-safe bowl.
Add cream of mushroom soup. Fill empty cans 1/2 way with milk (~ 1 cup total?) and gradually add to the cream of mushroom soup while stirring. Stir in vegetables and garlic chili sauce (or equivalent). If you like cheese, sprinkle a handfull of cheese into the mixture.
When the pasta is cooked drain it and mix it thoroughly into the vegetable/mushroom soup mixture.
Pat the top of the mixture relatively flat and cover with a layer of shredded cheese.
Bake in an oven at 350 degrees F (~180 C?) for 20 minutes or until cheese is slightly brown and mixture bubbling.
Remove from oven to cool. Serve warm.
Used to feed 2 people for 3-4 meals, now serves a family of 5 for two days if I make a salad as well...

- - -

This next one is a bit easier, but not very pretty looking. My kids call it "Dog Food" but love it.

Unhealthy version:
Two large boxes of Rice-a-Roni Beef flavored rice pilaf
One Large can or 2-3 small cans of Spinich
Two pounds (1kg) of ground beef.
Miced garlic
Pepper
1/2 stick of butter
Boling water (~6 cups)

Healthy version:
Substitute ground turkey for ground beef
Substitute 1 pound of washed fresh spinich for canned.
Make fresh rice pilaf (but I haven't done this yet. It looks harder...)

Prepare Rice-a-Roni as instructed on the box:
Put butter in a large pot and melt (I use a lot less than on the box, 1/4~1/2 stick)
Saute pasta and rice until pasta browns and rice turns a bit translucent.
Add boiling water and seasoning packs (basically beef bullion, a ton of salt and other stuff)
Bring to a simmer, cover and let cook 20 minutes.
In a separate pan, brown the beef/turkey with garlic to taste (~1-2 tablespoons)
Drain excess grease.
Add spinich and mix.
When the Rice-a-Roni is nearly done, mix in the beef/turkey & spinach mixture.
Add pepper to taste.

Used to serve 2 people 3-4 meals. Now serves a family of 5 for two dinners.

These are recipes I've created from memory and I'm typing right before I go to sleep. If it doesn't make sense, call me on it! I'll fix it.
Keep your stomach happy!

++First Project: Princess Code++ ++MIA 2009++
Just released a non-H, Animal Game for the iPhone August 2010!

PostPosted: October 19th, 2008, 5:49 pm 
Resident Scholar

Nice ideas, but I feel they're suffering a bit from cultural differences (not your fault, of course). :D

PunkDaddy wrote:
Large White or Yellow Onions

I have never in my life seen "white onions". I checked pictures on the internet and it seems that what we perceive as an "onion" is what you call a "yellow onion". :D

PunkDaddy wrote:

No real difference over here. Bell Peppers of any color are sold from the same box...

PunkDaddy wrote:

Three cans of what?
"Cream of Mushroom Soup" = "Mushroom Cream Soup"? :?:

PunkDaddy wrote:
1.5 pounds of a shaped pasta

It is a deeply philosophical question whether anything concrete that exists necessarily has a shape?
What would be pasta without a shape? A lump of dried dough? :lol:

PunkDaddy wrote:

I'm a cheesomaniac. :twisted:
When I'm making noodles with molten cheese I use as much cheese as I use noodles (half a pound of each).

PunkDaddy wrote:
Put as little olive oil in a pan as you can without burning the veggies and turn on the heat.

But the best way to save oil is to preheat the pan. The oil will be water-like liquid in an instant and cover the pan more effectively, :arrow: you won't need as much. Is there a reason why I should turn on the heat later?

PunkDaddy wrote:
Fill empty cans 1/2 way with milk (~ 1 cup total?)

Indeed a strange choice of words...

PunkDaddy wrote:
My kids call it "Dog Food" but love it.

Haha, I know "Dog Food", too. Something my grandma came up with... it consists of rice, corned beef, leek, onions... everything thrown into the same pot (after the rice is finished) and stirred, it really looks like dogfood. :lol:

PunkDaddy wrote:
Rice-a-Roni Beef flavored rice pilaf

What's "Rice-a-Roni"?

PunkDaddy wrote:
1/2 stick of butter

How much in grams is a "stick of butter"?
German butter comes in 250 g blocks.

PunkDaddy wrote:
Boling water (~6 cups)

I see that "cups" are a really favorite measuring device.
In Germany you would always find "xxx ml" (milli-liters) information. No cups at all. :D

PunkDaddy wrote:
Saute pasta and rice until pasta browns and rice turns a bit translucent.

Wait a minute... this includes Pasta (= noodles) and rice at the same time???
I'd call that revolutionary, I can hardly imagine these two would get along in terms of taste... :shock:

PunkDaddy wrote:
Drain excess grease.

So why add it in the first place? :o

PunkDaddy wrote:

Wow, that's quite a lot. I'm actually in a two-person household and if possible, I'd like to eat something a little different every day... except if it's pasta with loads of cheese. I can eat that five times a week without feeling bored. 8)

PostPosted: October 20th, 2008, 3:01 am 

42317 wrote:
Nice ideas, but I feel they're suffering a bit from cultural differences (not your fault, of course). :D

:? Dang, this cultural exchange stuff is harder than I thought! However, is it strange that I find it a bit fun? Probably helps that it is food related... OK, let me see if I can resolve most of these little speed bumps.

42317 wrote:
PunkDaddy wrote:
Large White or Yellow Onions

I have never in my life seen "white onions". I checked pictures on the internet and it seems that what we perceive as an "onion" is what you call a "yellow onion". :D

Here is a site with white and red onions in addition to yellow: http://www.flavorsonion.com/products.htm
Yellow will work fine, but white are a bit less intense so my kids will eat them easier.

42317 wrote:
PunkDaddy wrote:

No real difference over here. Bell Peppers of any color are sold from the same box...

No problem, I used to use green. Here they grow a red bell pepper and I think it's different from the green ones that simply ripen red because it tastes slightly sweeter and milder. If it's actually the same thing then it's great marketing because it costs more. :roll:

42317 wrote:
PunkDaddy wrote:

Three cans of what?
"Cream of Mushroom Soup" = "Mushroom Cream Soup"? :?:

Yes, it is a condensed creamy soup made with mushrooms. The following link takes you to Campbells Soup's site where you can find Cream of Mushroom soup under the Condensed Soup heading: http://www.campbellsoup.com/condensed_soups_products.aspx
For a more straight forward listing of ingredients, I hope you can manage this link:
https://shop.albertsons.com/eCommerceWeb/ProductListAction.do?action=getProductDetails&prodId=8430&aisleId=2&categoryId=72&subCategoryId=746&fromPage=categoryPage&prodId=8430&selAisleId=2&selCategoryId=72&selSubCategoryId=746&bcAction=getProducts&aslName=Grocery&subCatName=Condensed+Soup&catName=Soup+%26+Chili&splInd=2_0_1_4&pc=66&selAisleTypeId=3

Basically, it is a creamy sauce. If you know how to make a creamy sauce, just do that and throw in fresh mushrooms. I'm trying to do a start-up company and play Mr. Mom at the same time, so sacrifices have been made... Considering the salt in the condensed soup, it may not always be for the better, but it saves time.

42317 wrote:
PunkDaddy wrote:
1.5 pounds of a shaped pasta

It is a deeply philosophical question whether anything concrete that exists necessarily has a shape?
What would be pasta without a shape? A lump of dried dough? :lol:

Hahaha! Sorry about that! Took a short cut in the description. I mean don't take one of the straight pastas, either round like spagetti or angel's hair or flat like fettuchini. Instead take one of the shorter pastas that is more three dimensional: Macaroni, rotini, penne, etc.
Experiment. Apparently there's a ton of different ones: http://www.archimedes-lab.org/pastashape.html

PunkDaddy wrote:

I'm a cheesomaniac. :twisted:
When I'm making noodles with molten cheese I use as much cheese as I use noodles (half a pound of each).[/quote]
Yum! But I think my cholesterol just increased while thinking about it. :mrgreen:

42317 wrote:
PunkDaddy wrote:

But the best way to save oil is to preheat the pan. The oil will be water-like liquid in an instant and cover the pan more effectively, :arrow: you won't need as much. Is there a reason why I should turn on the heat later?

No real reason. I like to have my oil hot, so I preheat the oil and the pan at the same time. OK, to be fully honest, I just get them both out of the way so I can get back to other prep work. I try to multi-task to cut down on cooking time... I've learned how much oil I need to get the job done given my stove and pans. People with different skillets, woks or other cooking devices may vary. I used to use more oil in my iron wok, but now I have a non-stick skillet.

42317 wrote:
PunkDaddy wrote:
Fill empty cans 1/2 way with milk (~ 1 cup total?)

Indeed a strange choice of words...

Sorry! Here I reveal how cheap I am. I hate the idea of wasting the bits of condensed soup mix stuck to the sides of the cans after I've emptied out the condensed soup. To recover some of that, I add my milk into the just-emptied can and stir it with a spoon to recover as much as possible and then pour it out into my mix. I've been doing that for so many years, I no longer have an idea of how many cups or ml of milk I've added... :shifty:

42317 wrote:
PunkDaddy wrote:
My kids call it "Dog Food" but love it.

Haha, I know "Dog Food", too. Something my grandma came up with... it consists of rice, corned beef, leek, onions... everything thrown into the same pot (after the rice is finished) and stirred, it really looks like dogfood. :lol:

These dishes are the BEST! Mmm. I may have to try your grandma's someday, but we rarely have corned beef or leeks. Fried rice is similar and I've done a bunch of variations of these. They nearly always taste great because I almost never keep stuff in the fridge that I can't stand to eat- that rigs the system a bit. 8)

42317 wrote:
PunkDaddy wrote:
Rice-a-Roni Beef flavored rice pilaf

What's "Rice-a-Roni"?
. . .
Wait a minute... this includes Pasta (= noodles) and rice at the same time???
I'd call that revolutionary, I can hardly imagine these two would get along in terms of taste... :shock:

http://www.ricearoni.com/rar_products/riceARoni/classic/
Sorry, I've been brainwashed with commercials for this stuff for over 30 years. It's easy to forget how local some things are!
Yes, the pilaf contains short pastas as well as grains of rice. Apparently the founding family adapted an Armenian neighbor's rice pilaf recipe in 1958...

42317 wrote:
PunkDaddy wrote:
1/2 stick of butter

How much in grams is a "stick of butter"?
German butter comes in 250 g blocks.

One stick is 1/4 pound, so considering 2.2 pounds / 1000 g, we're looking at 100-125g. Probably 1/3 or 1/2 block of butter will work for you.

42317 wrote:
PunkDaddy wrote:
Boling water (~6 cups)

I see that "cups" are a really favorite measuring device.
In Germany you would always find "xxx ml" (milli-liters) information. No cups at all. :D

Yeah, sorry about that. Going of my slightly suspicious measuring cup, it would be 1500 ml or 1.5 liters.

42317 wrote:
PunkDaddy wrote:
Drain excess grease.

So why add it in the first place? :o

:doh: Heh, sorry, I should have been more specific. The butter goes in with the rice/pasta mix and does not get removed. The ground turkey or beef may produce grease, so to reduce the grease of the final mix, I would drain the excess grease from the meat. Usually, I would not add oil to the meat.

42317 wrote:
PunkDaddy wrote:

Wow, that's quite a lot. I'm actually in a two-person household and if possible, I'd like to eat something a little different every day... except if it's pasta with loads of cheese. I can eat that five times a week without feeling bored. 8)

Well, I usually make 2-3 boxes of the stuff to feed my small army. Cut the recipe in 1/2 and you'll get two meals out of it that you can separate with 2-3 days of other meals. Of course that assumes you have the moster refridgerators that we have out here and not the tiny ones in Japan.

Here I shop at Costco where I buy milk in a box with 2 1-gallon jugs inside it, 18 count cartons of eggs (the smallest size, next size up is a flat of 3 dozen) onions by the 10lb bag and oranges by the 4.5 kg box. With my kids, I'm there 2-3 times a week. :roll: In Japan, I know people who basically have to shop every other day because their refridgerators are so small and they try not to have leftovers for the same reason.

PostPosted: February 15th, 2009, 3:01 pm 

Uh-oh...I smell rat :gatsu:

I'm pretty sure handbags aren't edible...

PostPosted: February 15th, 2009, 5:19 pm 
Major Contributor

Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
Fresnokila wrote:
Uh-oh...I smell rat :gatsu:

Even if they were, they would be so leathery and tough to chew, so that's why they're mostly used for stews. :P

PostPosted: February 16th, 2009, 1:36 pm 
Resident Scholar

Fresnokila wrote:
Uh-oh... I smell rat

What's that supposed to mean? :blink:

PostPosted: February 16th, 2009, 5:29 pm 

Ha what I meant is that I've seen a few posts already of this user just posting links for websites...unrelated to the topic of the thread... :shifty:

Might want to check that out...

PostPosted: February 19th, 2009, 3:56 am 

Fresnokila wrote:
Ha what I meant is that I've seen a few posts already of this user just posting links for websites...unrelated to the topic of the thread... :shifty:

Might want to check that out...

Huh? Since the only two posters previously were 42317 and myself, you would be referring to... me? I don't know what posts you would be talking about in that case, but I'd love to know. I digress a little bit, but I don't recall posting unrelated links...

Anyway, 42317, I never followed up- do they sell Rice-a-Roni or an equivalent in Germany? Just curious. As for the recepies, I guess we're the only two who cook. ;-) I've been doing a lot lately, but I'm primarily making shit up as I go along with stir-frys and burritos so recepies would be pretty useless... Do you do a lot of cooking from recepies or do you improvise?

PostPosted: February 19th, 2009, 10:05 am 

No I now see the post was erased and the member was probably eradicated...ha....so no..wasn't referring to you :lol2:

It was probably one of those stupid bots :wtf:

PostPosted: February 19th, 2009, 12:24 pm 

Fresnokila wrote:
No I now see the post was erased and the member was probably eradicated...ha....so no..wasn't referring to you :lol2:

It was probably one of those stupid bots :wtf:

:doh: PHEW! You had me totally paranoid that I did something retarded like posting a reply in a wrong thread or something. I was pretty sure I hadn't, but sometimes I post half-asleep right before bed... Thanks for putting my mind at ease Fresnokila! :D

PostPosted: February 20th, 2009, 11:27 am 
Resident Scholar

PunkDaddy wrote:
Anyway, 42317, I never followed up- do they sell Rice-a-Roni or an equivalent in Germany?

Uh, no. We eat normal stuff here. :lol:

PunkDaddy wrote:
Do you do a lot of cooking from recepies or do you improvise?

I have to do it by the book because my girlfriend does not like my improvisations. To her, the recipebook is holy and untouchable. She suffers from a lack of flexibility, and her father is a cook. :doh:
Well, I do agree that some of my experiments were not quite exquisite. :mrgreen:
I have pretty much freedom with hotpots/mulligan/stew though... you just throw edible stuff in, add water and spices, boil/simmer it for two hours and there you go. Hardly anything can go wrong.

Fresnokila wrote:
No I now see the post was erased and the member was probably eradicated...

That explains it of course. I was a little confused. :D

PostPosted: February 20th, 2009, 4:02 pm 

42317 wrote:
PunkDaddy wrote:
Anyway, 42317, I never followed up- do they sell Rice-a-Roni or an equivalent in Germany?

Uh, no. We eat normal stuff here. :lol:

PunkDaddy wrote:
Do you do a lot of cooking from recepies or do you improvise?

I have to do it by the book because my girlfriend does not like my improvisations. To her, the recipebook is holy and untouchable. She suffers from a lack of flexibility, and her father is a cook. :doh:
Well, I do agree that some of my experiments were not quite exquisite. :mrgreen:
I have pretty much freedom with hotpots/mulligan/stew though... you just throw edible stuff in, add water and spices, boil/simmer it for two hours and there you go. Hardly anything can go wrong.

:D :lol: :lol2: Wow, your girlfriend sounds pretty strict! Fortunately, most of my horrible experiments happened decades ago, so most witnesses are gone by now. :mrgreen: We almost never do stews or hotpots- half because it doesn't get cold enough and half because I typically try to squeeze too much into the day and I prepare dinner at the last minute. Two hours plus prep time might be too much to ask. ;-)

PostPosted: February 20th, 2009, 7:07 pm 
Resident Scholar

PunkDaddy wrote:
We almost never do stews or hotpots- half because it doesn't get cold enough and half because I typically try to squeeze too much into the day and I prepare dinner at the last minute. Two hours plus prep time might be too much to ask.

But you don't have to do anything while it heats up, not even stir, and prep time is minimal.
Okay, there's peeling potatoes and cutting the vegetables and meat down to chewable pieces, but I wouldn't consider 30 minutes much of a preparation time.

PostPosted: February 20th, 2009, 10:32 pm 

42317 wrote:
PunkDaddy wrote:
We almost never do stews or hotpots- half because it doesn't get cold enough and half because I typically try to squeeze too much into the day and I prepare dinner at the last minute. Two hours plus prep time might be too much to ask.

But you don't have to do anything while it heats up, not even stir, and prep time is minimal.
Okay, there's peeling potatoes and cutting the vegetables and meat down to chewable pieces, but I wouldn't consider 30 minutes much of a preparation time.

Ja ja, demo... I guess I'm just lazy and not in the habit. Maybe I'll try one later this year. I want to learn to do a creamy stew first.