Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 16th, 2017, 9:13 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: June 20th, 2007, 1:26 pm 

Cape Fear Community College in Wilmington. Its about two and a half hours away. Me and a friend are getting an apartment together there. He is going to UNCW.

Can't wait to go. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 21st, 2007, 9:11 am 
Resident Scholar

zero_chaos wrote:
Cape Fear Community College

"Cape Fear"? What kinda place name is that... doesn't sound much better than "Tombstone"... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 21st, 2007, 12:30 pm 
Major Contributor

zero_chaos wrote:
Cape Fear Community College in Wilmington. Its about two and a half hours away. Me and a friend are getting an apartment together there. He is going to UNCW.

Can't wait to go. :D

I was going to apply to the Pharmacy School at UNCH, but since I got into UT, I didn't bother . . . ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 27th, 2007, 2:16 pm 
Lurker

Doing the college thing is fun, but it's a lot of work. I was one of those kids who had trouble when starting college because I didn't know how to study. I never studied, did homework, or anything like that in high school. Then suddenly in college I needed to start studying for hours on end in order to cram for exams, it was a shock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 27th, 2007, 4:36 pm 

You are scaring me rurounijif, because you sound like me. I rarely study. I am hoping being away from most friends and my girlfriend will help me focus on school though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 27th, 2007, 9:06 pm 
Regular

The primary difference between school and college/university is that school education is centered around 'factual knowledge'. Tests, assignments etc. are all designed to see how much you can remember from your lessons in terms of pure facts and data. If you've got a good memory, or are good at rote learning, you'll probably do well in school.

Higher education differs in that the emphasis here shifts to you applying that knowledge to other uses, or discovering new knowledge on your own. Problem solving, extrapolation and the ability to present your discovered knowledge in clear, concise and interesting formats are what determine your success at a college/university level.

Also, remember that in schools, teachers tend to spoon-feed you everything you need to know, which is something they can do because classes are smaller and they can devote more attention to each student. In colleges/universities, professors and lecturers can have hundreds of students and they simply can't afford to treat each student on a personal level the way teachers do.

Finally, the way most schools are setup is that they are under pressure to ensure that as many students pass as possible. A high failure rate is taken as proof that the teachers and/or curriculum is lacking and incompetent. Therefore, schools will usually do everything in their power to ensure that students don't fail.

Colleges/universities, on the other hand, don't particularly care if lots of students fail. Higher education is meant to be the sieve that filters out the truly intelligent from the simply adequate. In fact, where the more exclusive colleges/universities are concerned, if they have TOO high a pass rate, people start questioning if the standards are too lax.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 27th, 2007, 10:49 pm 
Lurker

zero_chaos wrote:
You are scaring me rurounijif, because you sound like me. I rarely study. I am hoping being away from most friends and my girlfriend will help me focus on school though.

Well, you shouldn't worry too much because if I could overcome it, then you can do the same. It was just hard to fall into the habit of spending a lot of time studying. In high school, literally every night I was either 1.) at work, 2.) out with my girlfriend, or 3.) out with my friends. EVERY night, so I was literally never at home. My "studying" consisted of looking through my notes for an exam at the end of the period before it. So during the last few minutes of my Biology class, I would glance at my notes for Physics and then go take my Physics exam.

Of course, studying in college is also easier because the environment is so different. I have actually felt guilty about not studying enough during finals week, for example, because friends of mine would be spending so much time studying. That certainly makes it easier. More importantly than anything else, though, is the fact that you will force yourself to work hard in college because if you don't, you'll never make it through. When you think of how much of an impact exams can have on your grade and how much money those classes cost... studying for 8+ hours a day during finals week isn't quite so hard, haha. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 28th, 2007, 2:47 am 
Major Contributor

Yeah even for a slacker like me, studying consistently really is quite important in a few classes. Especially higher level science classes like Biochem or microbio (in my case, it was because my professor's exams were very very detailed)

But the first year classes . . . :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 28th, 2007, 7:41 am 
Resident Scholar

rurounijf wrote:
Doing the college thing is fun, but it's a lot of work. I was one of those kids who had trouble when starting college because I didn't know how to study. I never studied, did homework, or anything like that in high school. Then suddenly in college I needed to start studying for hours on end in order to cram for exams, it was a shock.

Same with me. School was a walk in the park, I hardly studied anything but still made it.
University is different and every exam I take is harder than my school's graduation exam.
And when I'm all stressed and feel tired and down my grandfather tries to cheer me up by saying something like
"You need to chew your way through this, boy. It's a matter of will. Whenever I had exams I sat down for two or three days and hammered everything into my head."
Well, gramps was a mason. If study work was done in three days I'd do it with no problems and even without sleep.
But if it's university and an important exam like Bachelor, the time frame is more like two or three months for the oral examination alone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 28th, 2007, 5:22 pm 
Lurker

spazmaster666 wrote:
Yeah even for a slacker like me, studying consistently really is quite important in a few classes. Especially higher level science classes like Biochem or microbio (in my case, it was because my professor's exams were very very detailed)

But the first year classes . . . :lol:

I avoid real science classes like the plague. I just need general sciences to satisfy my requirements, so I've taken classes like Astronomy and Geology to keep things as simple as possible. During my freshman year, though, it seemed like all of the guys on the floor of the dormitory I lived on were in science-based majors. College-level math is what really killed me. I managed to get through Calculus, but then I failed Calculus 2. Fortunately, a semester after that I decided to change my major and the new major didn't require Calculus 2 so I never had to re-take it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 6th, 2007, 2:57 pm 
Resident Scholar

I remembered another BRS/OG member: Algernon!
Right now I feel a bit overpowered by the 1.9 million results offered by Google.
Help appreciated. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 7th, 2007, 12:51 am 
Major Contributor

rurounijf wrote:
College-level math is what really killed me. I managed to get through Calculus, but then I failed Calculus 2. Fortunately, a semester after that I decided to change my major and the new major didn't require Calculus 2 so I never had to re-take it.

I was lucky enough to place out of the math classes I needed through AP credits. :lol:

Also, yeah I remember Algernon. We had some good debates he and I. Unfortunately I don't have his contact info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 7th, 2007, 7:24 pm 
Lurker

If you're a history major, the need to study isn't so pressing anymore. I don't think I've studied for a history course in the last few years... So while Spaz's courses give him a future, my history courses let me slack! :O I think I made the right decision...

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 8th, 2007, 9:06 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!

I tried, but have so far failed to find anything concrete. Too many search results, need to find a way to narrow it down.

Kesshi,

What are you going to do with that History degree though, teach History?

Last edited by Acmurphy on August 8th, 2007, 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 8th, 2007, 9:12 am 
Resident Scholar

Acmurphy wrote:
Kesshi, what are you going to end up doing with that History degree though, teaching History?

The least he can do is impress people at cocktail parties with comparisons and quotes. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next