Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 11th, 2017, 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Commercial Distribution
PostPosted: March 1st, 2009, 7:28 am 
Post Master

As you may or may not know, I'm developing a game right now. I have been for the past month straight (expect a post about it very soon), and I do plan on selling it when I'm finished. I've seen a bunch of other independent developers selling their games over http://www.bmtmicro.com/ and I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about it or knows a different reliable commercial solution. I have read all the information and services sections on BMTmicro already, but who knows.

I also have no idea how to get a copyright or how much it'll cost. If anyone can easily summarize it, that would be great. The official website guide is like 500 pages long.

I need to figure these things out so it doesn't turn into a huge waste of time.

Post subject: Re: Commercial Distribution
PostPosted: March 7th, 2009, 4:58 am 

Mmsven wrote:
As you may or may not know, I'm developing a game right now. I have been for the past month straight (expect a post about it very soon), and I do plan on selling it when I'm finished. I've seen a bunch of other independent developers selling their games over http://www.bmtmicro.com/ and I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about it or knows a different reliable commercial solution. I have read all the information and services sections on BMTmicro already, but who knows.

I also have no idea how to get a copyright or how much it'll cost. If anyone can easily summarize it, that would be great. The official website guide is like 500 pages long.

I need to figure these things out so it doesn't turn into a huge waste of time.

First, congratulations on your game and good luck! I hadn't heard about BMTmicro but we haven't gotten our game finished enough to deal with this issue. I know I'll have to get on this soon, so thanks for the info!

I poked around a little bit and found the prices:
https://vendors.bmtmicro.net/newdevelopers/service_tiers.html

10-20% of the sale seems reasonable. The question is if they can deliver. As for copyright, there's some paperwork you have to fill out in the US, but I don't know the Canadian requirements. It shouldn't be too difficult and you probably can locate that with google. Just put a copyright notice on the game and your packaging (if you ever make any) and apply for copyright when you have time. It is not perfectly legal, but it lets people know you intend to protect yourself while you time-shift the paperwork to when you have more time...

Again, good luck!

++First Project: Princess Code++ ++MIA 2009++
Just released a non-H, Animal Game for the iPhone August 2010!

PostPosted: March 16th, 2009, 7:03 pm 
Post Master

I came across this thread on another forum:
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=257.0

BMTmicro seems to have the best reputation in terms of those types of services.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2009, 4:21 am 
Post Master

PunkDaddy wrote:
The question is if they can deliver. As for copyright, there's some paperwork you have to fill out in the US, but I don't know the Canadian requirements. It shouldn't be too difficult and you probably can locate that with google. Just put a copyright notice on the game and your packaging (if you ever make any) and apply for copyright when you have time. It is not perfectly legal, but it lets people know you intend to protect yourself while you time-shift the paperwork to when you have more time...

I have done a little looking, and I have found that copyright automatically applies once you put an original idea into a medium. Registering for a copyright at a government office just means you have more evidence and power in court cases.