Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 23rd, 2017, 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What are your favorite movie monsters?
PostPosted: April 30th, 2008, 8:26 pm 
Major Contributor

Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
What are some of your favorite movie monsters and what are the reasons that you like about them?

Here's mine (not in any particular order):

Godzilla- He's truly the King of the Monsters. He's incredibly powerful, has an atomic heat ray, almost never loses whenever he fights with other monsters, and he's nearly indestructible. Some of the monsters he fought, such as Mothra, King Ghidorah, Mechagodzilla, and more, are just awesome. All those traits make him one of my favorites.

Gamera- He maybe the 2nd most famous Japanese giant monster (kaiju) and Godzilla's competitor, but he is a different monster altogether. Gamera is a fireball spittin' turtle that has a rocket propelled shell and he can fly either like a jet fighter or a flying saucer. The movies he was in during the 60's and 70's were cheesy as hell (yet, fun to watch, especially on MST3K), but the Heisei trilogy released in the 90's are just much better. He went from the Friend of Children to the Guardian of the Universe. The Heisei Gamera Trilogy is much more darker and the visual effects are just superb for tokusatsu standards.

King Kong- The 25 foot tall gorilla is the forefather of all the giant monsters. Kong maybe just a big ape, but he could fight off T-Rexes, swat off airplanes and carry around a really hot blonde girl. In the 1933 movie he was portrayed as a monster and goes on a mindless rampage, but in the 2005 remake (even though there was a 1976 remake, but that one sucked), he was more of a sympathetic beast and more realistic. That's why I like the 2005 version the best for those reasons and he fought off 3 V-Rexes all at once.

Some of Ray Harryhausen's monsters such as Ymir(20 Million Miles to Earth), Rhedosaurus (Beast from 20,000 Fathoms), Gwangi (The Valley of Gwangi), Cyclops (7th Voyage of Sinbad), and the Skeleton Army (Jason and the Argonauts). His stop motion animated creatures looked so real back in the day and they were full of character, fright, and pure awesomeness altogether.

I also like:
Xenomorphs (Alien series)
Yautja (Predator)

This list will be updated and edited in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 1st, 2008, 7:06 pm 
Resident Scholar

If you're talking about GIANT monsters I'd have to say King Kong. I saw the 70s version first, you know, where they shoot him off the Empire State Building with early Apache gunships. I found the special effects pretty amazing.
A few years later I saw a black-and-white version from who knows what year. I liked the fact that Kong was not some huge monster ape but just an oversized gorilla who liked listening to the music of his mistress, and after some misadventures in a US city the mistress with a few friends rescues him by bringing him back to the jungle. That felt a lot better.

If you don't care how big the monster is, hm, I remember there was a Shiva statue coming to life in one Sindbad or maybe Aladin movie, and for me that was the most interesting appearance of that kind I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 1st, 2008, 7:18 pm 
Major Contributor

42317 wrote:
I remember there was a Shiva statue coming to life in one Sindbad or maybe Aladin movie, and for me that was the most interesting appearance of that kind I guess.

I know what you're talking about. That was actually Kali from The Golden Voyage of Sinbad, which I thought it was a great movie. The sword fight between the six-armed Kali and Sinbad w/crew was just amazing and the animation was just perfect if you as me. Here's an interesting fact behind the fight scene in the movie. In order to rehearse all the six arms with the actors in the sequence three stunt men had to be strapped together with a big belt standing and posing as Kali.

As for the topic, it could be any monsters of any size.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 1st, 2008, 8:22 pm 

To me monsters don't need to be powerful or big, they just need to be scary, so I think at the top of my list would be the werewolf from Bad Moon, I've always being scared of werewolves. I also thought Alien was scary, well when I was a kid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 2nd, 2008, 2:27 pm 
Resident Scholar

wolfwood wrote:
at the top of my list would be the werewolf from Bad Moon

I didn't like "Bad Moon" so much (and "The Howling", too), the "American Werewolf" was much better in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 2nd, 2008, 3:16 pm 
Regular

Monsters huh?

Definetly the skeleton warriors from "Jason and the Argonauts" they were simply amazing.

The Deadites from the Evil Dead series. Whether they're the unintentionally funny ones from "Evil Dead" or the completely hilarious ones from "Army of Darkness,"
these guys kick ass.

Count Orlock (I know he was supposed to be Dracula) from "Nosferatu" and "Shadow of the Vampire"- "Nosferatu" is still creepy (especially the shadow on the steps and the ship scene), and this guy made it (the ears and the fingers really do the trick).

As for the big guys, I'm going with Godzilla and King Kong (but not the damn Kong from Godzilla vs. King Kong (I despise that film's resolution)). I've loved Godzilla since I was a little kid (I was first introduced when Sci-fi had an all day marathon). I also like the fact that Godzilla is more than a mutated reptile, he's kind of like a force of nature or even a man-made kami. I love King Kong becauseI loved the first Kong film and the remake was very enjoyable as well.

I also do like Gamera, but I only saw him in the films where he made a crossover with Godzilla.

There's also a couple of monsters that I dislike. The sea monster from Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster (a giant lobster? wtf?) and the pollution monster that Godzilla fights (I don't remember its name, nor do I want to).

Dr. Insane-o

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 2nd, 2008, 11:20 pm 
Major Contributor

Cab329 wrote:
I also like the fact that Godzilla is more than a mutated reptile, he's kind of like a force of nature or even a man-made kami.

Tomoyuki Tanaka created Godzilla as a symbol of the horrors of nuclear warfare and its destructive power, which Japan was the first country to witness its horrible effects. He's is a force of nature that is nearly kami-like, but he's actually the epitome of Man's ignorance and thirst for destruction.

Quote:
I also do like Gamera, but I only saw him in the films where he made a crossover with Godzilla.

I don't recall any Gamera movie that had Godzilla in it. I don't which one you're talking about, but I'll provide some kaiju links and point out which one talking about.

http://www.tohokingdom.com/movie_list.htm

http://www.kaijuhq.org/index2.html

Quote:
There's also a couple of monsters that I dislike. The sea monster from Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster (a giant lobster? wtf?) and the pollution monster that Godzilla fights (I don't remember its name, nor do I want to).

The giant lobster's name is Ebirah, I think he was perhaps one of the weakest monster that Godzilla has ever faced. He easily ripped out both of his claws and Ebirah swam away before ended up steamed and served with butter. I just had to say, since I like seafood.
The pollution you're referring to is Hedorah from Godzilla vs Hedorah. I don't know about you, but I think Hedorah is a cool monster for he's nearly invincible, can change into any form, a cool roar, and that the fact that he killed a bunch of hippies at one time with his acidic mist. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2008, 12:03 am 
Regular

Hmm...I could have sworn I saw a movie that featured Gamera and Gozilla teaming up...my memory is pretty bad from that age though.

Dr. Insane-o

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2008, 12:16 am 
Major Contributor

Cab329 wrote:
Hmm...I could have sworn I saw a movie that featured Gamera and Gozilla teaming up...my memory is pretty bad from that age though.

I think you're talking about Anguirus, Godzilla's ally. Here's a picture of him and Gamera, just to help you remember and dhow you the difference between the two.

Anguirus

Gamera

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2008, 4:43 am 
Regular

You know, I actually had a toy of Anguirus when I was a young boy! I was always wondering why a quadruped monster had such weird back legs that would have made it difficult to walk.

Now I know why. It's because the actor inside didn't have rear articulated legs. :lol: I never knew that monster came from Godzilla.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2008, 5:05 am 
Regular

Ah...I thought something was off. I must have just had my memory get all mixed up. Thanks for clearing that up Gojira.

Dr. Insane-o

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2008, 10:36 am 
Major Contributor

Cab329 wrote:
Ah...I thought something was off. I must have just had my memory get all mixed up. Thanks for clearing that up Gojira.

No problem. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2008, 5:55 pm 
Resident Scholar

Cab329 wrote:
Count Orlock (I know he was supposed to be Dracula) from "Nosferatu"

Nosferatu really is something... it's hard to decide whether I like the original version (with its cute depection of a "werewolf") or the Klaus Kinski version more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 5th, 2008, 8:07 pm 

Are we all geeks, yes and damn proud of it. :lol:

My favorite giant moster, yeah Godzilla, Especally with the new costume. I also like the American one. Would love to see throse to go at it.

Second is the God of Darkness from Grandian II. Can't remember the name I just kept thinking, "how the hell am I going to kill that thing?"

Next is the Minatore from God Of War. Only thought I had was, "Oh you have got to be KIDDING ME!"

Small monsters, the final boss of Legends of Zelda Ocerina of Time (Hope I spelled that right) I can't remember his name.

Alema from Ninja Gaiden, yeah. I get chills from her. She was hard boss.

What else, there were a few more I know there were.

Ah yes I know one. The Brute from the Halo series. I think I have the right name. Any way its the big blue enemy with the huge cannon and Shield.

Another from Halo, the Flood. yeah, they scare me.

Dark Serphim from Shadow Heart 1 and Convenate. Beautiful and can kill my ass rare combo.

Now for the truly scary. Werewolves, especially well made ones. Just thinking about them make me look over my shoulder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 5th, 2008, 9:19 pm 
Major Contributor

The Adict wrote:
Are we all geeks, yes and damn proud of it. :lol:

My favorite giant moster, yeah Godzilla, Especally with the new costume. I also like the American one. Would love to see throse to go at it.

Your wish has been granted.