Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 23rd, 2017, 9:10 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: US 2008 Presidential Election
PostPosted: November 10th, 2008, 11:13 pm 
Regular

spazmaster666 wrote:
Obama promised that the first thing he would do as president was to sign the FOCA act, which would probably be one the most disastrous actions in the history of our nation (Obama is the most extreme pro-abortion president-elect in American history). Fortunately, it looks like the FOCA act probably won't pass through congress (there seems to be enough of a majority to prevent that from happening).

What exactly is the FOCA act?

PostPosted: November 10th, 2008, 11:24 pm 

Zaxares wrote:
spazmaster666 wrote:
Obama promised that the first thing he would do as president was to sign the FOCA act, which would probably be one the most disastrous actions in the history of our nation (Obama is the most extreme pro-abortion president-elect in American history). Fortunately, it looks like the FOCA act probably won't pass through congress (there seems to be enough of a majority to prevent that from happening).

What exactly is the FOCA act?

From what i read the FOCA act is to nullify virtually all federal and state limitations on abortion. It stands for the Freedom Of Choice Act (please correct me if i'm wrong). Now i'm not 100% against abortion, but I think his first act as president should be to start working with the economy and not worrying about abortion.

PostPosted: November 11th, 2008, 12:27 am 
Post Master

Quote:
which would probably be one the most disastrous actions in the history of our nation

Disastrous? I'd say banning abortion would be disastrous.

More abortion = less crime. Unless ofcourse you consider abortion as "murder", even though chopping down a Christmas tree is pretty much the same thing.

PostPosted: November 11th, 2008, 3:09 pm 

Mmsven wrote:
Quote:
which would probably be one the most disastrous actions in the history of our nation

Disastrous? I'd say banning abortion would be disastrous.

More abortion = less crime. Unless of course you consider abortion as "murder", even though chopping down a Christmas tree is pretty much the same thing.

Right, so you think you can compare human life to that of a tree, a plant. :blink:
I take it you believe, unwanted children are more likely to become criminals then...
To me abortion means to deny a person a chance to live. Ethically is just wrong. Besides, being a brutal procedure (to the embryo or fetus) it can bring irreversible damage to "the mother", physically (internal and external reproductive organs), and to her psyche (I'm pretty sure that most women who undergo an abortion will always carry a feeling of guilt, and regret).

PostPosted: November 11th, 2008, 7:46 pm 
Post Master

wolfwood wrote:
Right, so you think you can compare human life to that of a tree, a plant. :blink:

Yes, I can. A humans life is no different from a plants life.

Quote:
To me abortion means to deny a person a chance to live.

I personally just don't care if you take away the slim possibility of spawning a useful human being.

Quote:
Besides, being a brutal procedure (to the embryo or fetus) it can bring irreversible damage to "the mother", physically (internal and external reproductive organs), and to her psyche (I'm pretty sure that most women who undergo an abortion will always carry a feeling of guilt, and regret).

If some dumb bitch lets her boyfriend go freestyle on her, without wanting a child, then I don't care if she gets damaged.

PostPosted: November 11th, 2008, 8:00 pm 
Resident Scholar

Mmsven wrote:
More abortion = less crime.

Uh, great. You should have elaborated a bit, because the equation is unfair. Less population does mean less crime (so it would be best if mankind disappeared altogether?), but not every unwanted child becomes a criminal. I am such an unwanted child. Well, I was accepted once I had become a fact, but I was unplanned, because my father ran on hormones and my mother was a stupid, rebellious girl... anyways, you cannot equate these two phenomena without further explanations.

I think abortion should be legal in case the family (or single mother) is too poor to feed another mouth, or if grave health issues might arise for child or mother. I heard that teen pregnancy was something considered serious in the US public, so earnest counselling sessions should be obligatory once someone applies for an abortion.
And to begin with they should increase sexual education in school.

PostPosted: November 11th, 2008, 8:12 pm 
Major Contributor

Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
Mmsven wrote:

Except that plants don't have the ability to think, feel or to communicate like humans can. Saying that a human's life is no different from a plant's is just absolutely inane.

Quote:
I personally just don't care if you take away the slim possibility of spawning a useful human being.

Still they're human beings, whether the person is either good or bad, and they have the right to live. Plus, it's part of our survival to produce more human beings and it's not going to make a big difference anyway.

Quote:
If some dumb bitch lets her boyfriend go freestyle on her, without wanting a child, then I don't care if she gets damaged.

Others will care if she gets damaged like her family, friends, or even her boyfriend for that matter. People are gonna make mistakes and most are completely powerless to make a decision whether getting an abortion would be the right choice.

Personally I'm mostly against human abortion except for extreme cases such as if the mother is going to die giving birth or if a woman has been raped.

PostPosted: November 11th, 2008, 10:03 pm 

Gojira wrote:
Mmsven wrote:

Except that plants don't have the ability to think, feel or to communicate like humans can. Saying that a human's life is no different from a plant's is just absolutely inane.

Quote:

Still they're human beings, whether the person is either good or bad, and they have the right to live. Plus, it's part of our survival to produce more human beings and it's not going to make a big difference anyway.

Quote:

Others will care if she gets damaged like her family, friends, or even her boyfriend for that matter. People are gonna make mistakes and most are completely powerless to make a decision whether getting an abortion would be the right choice.
Nicely put, Gojira.
Quote:
Personally I'm mostly against human abortion except for extreme cases such as if the mother is going to die giving birth or if a woman has been raped.

Yes, the mother's well-being has priority over the child, so therapeutic abortion though a sad decision it's sometimes needed. Regarding the rape cases, I think it's kinda tough for the mother, but to me ethically, the abortion should not be performed. She could give the child on adoption later on. But, nowadays there are some countermeasures, such as the "morning after pill", which will prevent the pregnancy.

PostPosted: November 11th, 2008, 11:50 pm 
Regular

Gojira wrote:

I actually wonder if that's true. Perhaps plants or animals can't think or reason or feel on the same level that we can, but is that just because we can't understand them? If you had a person who was deaf, blind, mute and paralysed and unable to communicate with us (or us with them) in any way, does that mean they are incapable of intelligent thought?

In any case, I am for abortion, since I believe that a woman should have the choice as to whether or not she wants a child. Ideally, it should be a decision that was reached mutually by herself, by the father (in cases where HE wants the child), and perhaps her family and friends. But the option SHOULD be there, and the final decision should rest with her alone.

Also, I believe that the human population on Earth is far, FAR too great. We are grossly straining the planet to its breaking point as far as how many humans we can support (on a First World living standards basis, anyway). I don't believe we NEED 6 billion people on the planet. In my opinion, the human population should be cut back down to, say, 2 - 3 million. That's more than enough to sustain great human diversity in culture, but without placing such immense strain on natural resources.

PostPosted: November 12th, 2008, 12:52 am 
Regular

Though I don't like the thought of abortion, I honestly can understand that there are cases where it is necessary and I do believe that the option should remain open...to a point. I believe that the current laws are fine. Right now, abortions can't occur after a certain amount of time and a woman who plans to get an abortion must go through a waiting period and receive counseling on alternatives to abortion. This way, the mother can make an informed decision and not rush the decision.

But...I highly doubt that the FOCA act would make it to Obama and I seriously doubt he would sign it even if he did. He wouldn't just be making an enemy of Pro-life groups, he would also make enemies of all the legislators that ever got pro-life bills passed and even make enemies of the supreme court, who, after passing Roe v. Wade, have upheld several pro-life laws.

Dr. Insane-o

PostPosted: November 12th, 2008, 10:14 am 
Post Master

Hm, my arguments really do suck. I'm too lazy to think and write up a bunch of stuff unless it really interests me.

PostPosted: November 12th, 2008, 12:16 pm 
Major Contributor

Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
Mmsven wrote:
Hm, my arguments really do suck. I'm too lazy to think and write up a bunch of stuff unless it really interests me.

Then why bother posting them in the first place? :roll:

PostPosted: November 12th, 2008, 1:53 pm 

Mmsven wrote:

Wow... :roll:

I think that is the dumbest thing I have ever read in my entire life.

PostPosted: November 12th, 2008, 10:49 pm 

This discussion poses the reason why I will never say that I have a clear vision of that topic. Whereas banning abortion sounds like reverting to the old times where (figurative) bastards could go and let their seed flow in form of (literal) bastards all around the place, permitting it is not exactly responsible, in the sense that it is hard to make people avoid using abortion as a last resort contraceptive measure, which was NOT the original idea. By the way, it's not like abortion is exactly a new topic of discussion. Abortive methods are known at least since the Greek ages (the Hypocratic oath forbids a doctor to use them, theoretically).

As well, I, as a (wannabe) economist, like how one can talk of "the Earth's population is excessive" just like that. Who's the weakest link? Who shouldn't be here? I guess it's not that easy to answer, aye?

PostPosted: November 12th, 2008, 11:37 pm 
Regular

Bloodfairy wrote:
As well, I, as a (wannabe) economist, like how one can talk of "the Earth's population is excessive" just like that. Who's the weakest link? Who shouldn't be here? I guess it's not that easy to answer, aye?

There's a number of things I would implement to do it:

1. All medical technology is banned. Even the rich or priviledged will not get any assistance. If you get sick or injured, you'd better damn well get better on your own. Survival of the fittest!

2. Restrict all people across the world to having only 1 child per family. You are permitted to have a second child if the first one dies of natural causes. (Incidentally, abortion is banned because it's a medical procedure. :P) If you break this law, you and your entire family are executed.

3. All 'flawed' humans are executed. Anyone with a disability, whether physical or mental, and unable to support themselves in society is deemed to be a liability and 'removed'.

Of course, I expect that none of these measures will EVER be adopted, seeing as how they're cruel and inhumane in the extreme. However, it's the only way, barring outright nuclear warfare or some calamitous pandemic that we have no cure to, to cull the human population down to manageable numbers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next