Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 14th, 2017, 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Japanese Bug Fights
PostPosted: January 12th, 2008, 5:23 am 
Post Master

I just found out about them, and they are the funniest stuff I've ever seen.

http://www.japanesebugfights.com/7.htm
http://www.japanesebugfights.com/10.htm

This certainly beats any professional wrestling, thats for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 12th, 2008, 8:51 am 
Regular

That just left a sour taste in my mouth. It's obvious that some of those insects were just trying to get away. I disapprove of any entertainment where a living creature is killed simply for amusement. As far as I'm concerned, this sport is little better than say, dog fights.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 12th, 2008, 3:46 pm 
Post Master

Lots of people hate insects (me included), so something like that giant spider was most likely going to die anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 12th, 2008, 8:37 pm 
Regular

You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but I think those insects/arachnids were hardly in a position to threaten you. If it was actually in your house and threatening you or your loved ones, I would agree you have the right to kill it, but most animals simply want to be left alone. To deliberately put animals in dangerous situations and force them to defend themselves for simple entertainment is needless cruelty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 12th, 2008, 10:27 pm 
Regular

I have to admit, I don't care for animal fights. If it happens in the wild, that's perfectly natural, but forcing animals to fight is just wrong.

Dr. Insane-o

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 12th, 2008, 10:58 pm 
Post Master

I find animal fights and bug fights very different. If I were watching 2 cats fighting or 2 dogs fighting or a dog fighting a cat, I wouldn't laugh like I do for bugs fighting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 13th, 2008, 4:15 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Holy crap I hate bugs/insects! I'm going to be imagining that huge tarantula crawling all over me tonight... :cry: Ugh, that thing was a beast!

On the whole, animal/bug fight issue, I'm more with Mmsven on this one. Bugs and animals are greatly different to me, as I would kill just about any bug/insect I see, without a second thought, but I would feel much different about a dog/cat/other such animal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 13th, 2008, 6:14 am 
Regular

I guess not many people share my view that insects/arachnids are also animals. (Maybe you do, Cab) But I can live with that. Far worse goes on in the world everyday, and it won't do me any good tormenting myself over it. I just try to open people's minds where I can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 13th, 2008, 8:57 am 
Resident Scholar

So, a discussion about animals and their right to pursue their way of life.
Apart from "Animal Farm", all animals are equal, just like humans, and they deserve to live no less than human beings. Thus forcing them to fight for human entertainment is immoral.

Problem: Japanese are raised to like such bastardries.
Have you ever heard of Kabuto Mushi?
It's a Japanese tradition. The animals are caught by traders and sold at high prices, up to a few hundres USD I think. The living creatures are then presented to boys, from 7-14yo according to my experience and put into a glass box each. Then they are put on a shelf, without food or water, exposing the beetle to a slow death, rotting and literally falling apart piece by piece. I found it heart-wrenching, but despite such obvious cruelty the boys find it exciting - they are not aware of what they're doing. Nobody is. Nobody teaches them respect for animal life. So much for the notion that Japan was such a Buddhist country, the teachings of which prohibit the killing of sentient beings.

In case you're saying, oh it's just bugs, the same goes for other pets as well. I have seen fish in containers so small they could not even turn around, turtles in slimy, rotten water and rabbits in metal cages without any straw to protect their feet and so on.

As for my own: I am arachnophobic. A spider touching me is my worst nightmare and depending on the size the touch alone might knock me out or kill me by shock. But I don't hate them and I don't kill them. I don't even kill flies. Well, except for such creatures who want to suck my blood. Spiders in my home are usually caught and then set free outside.

Respect for life is a virtue and disregarding an animal's right to live because of fear or disgust degrades you to a very primeval level. Think about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 13th, 2008, 9:43 am 
Post Master

Are all you guys vegetarians? The way I see it, anyone that eats meat shouldn't be talking about animal rights. We kill tons of cows and chickens for our own gain every day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 13th, 2008, 9:48 am 
Resident Scholar

Mmsven wrote:
We kill tons of cows and chickens for our own gain every day.

Yes, but these cows and chickens are killed for my dinner and not for my entertainment.
And that's a decisive difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 13th, 2008, 5:47 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
42317 wrote:
So, a discussion about animals and their right to pursue their way of life.
Apart from "Animal Farm", all animals are equal, just like humans, and they deserve to live no less than human beings. Thus forcing them to fight for human entertainment is immoral.

If you're saying that animals deserve to live no less than humans, how can you eat them? I mean, I could see not wanting to force them to fight against each other, whether bugs or animals I'm not really interested in it. However, with your line of thought, killing them to eat them (forcing their lives to be over against their will, if you will) should be viewed as the same as forcing them to fight each other. So wouldn't that make eating animals killed against their will also immoral? It's not like we have to eat meat to live anymore, you could just buy supplements.

42317 wrote:
As for my own: I am arachnophobic. A spider touching me is my worst nightmare and depending on the size the touch alone might knock me out or kill me by shock. But I don't hate them and I don't kill them. I don't even kill flies. Well, except for such creatures who want to suck my blood. Spiders in my home are usually caught and then set free outside.

I'll catch lizards if they wander into my place and let them go outside. Anything else, spiders, flies, bugs, cockroaches (I really hate those) are out of luck.

42317 wrote:
Respect for life is a virtue and disregarding an animal's right to live because of fear or disgust degrades you to a very primeval level. Think about it.

The right of an animal to live... Ya, we have way different views here.

Last edited by Acmurphy on January 13th, 2008, 10:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 13th, 2008, 9:05 pm 
Regular

Addressing Mmsven: No, I'm not a vegetarian.

Although I agree with 42 that all animals have a right to life, other animals (including us) also have a right to life by eating other animals. As far as I'm concerned, if an animal needs to die, let it die for a useful purpose such as food, essential clothing, or because it is a threat to you. Whatever the reason though, I still maintain that the creature should be killed in as quick and painless a manner as is reasonably possible.

Killing an animal for simple entertainment is a waste and personally abhorrent.

42: I didn't know that Japanese have that sort of attitude to animal life. It would go a long way towards explaining their view on whale hunting though.

Btw, as far as whale hunting is concerned, while I think if the Japanese are hunting the whales for food, it's acceptable, I also think that the whales are too endangered to subject them to sustained hunting. The thing that annoys me the most is how the Japanese keep insisting that it's for "scientific research", when anyone with a brain can see otherwise. They should just admit that they're doing it for commercial purposes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 14th, 2008, 2:23 pm 
Lurker

I do enjoy those videos of creatures fighting in nature I'll admit, but having them "fight" in those small see-through enclosures is rather bleh, especially when half the time one of them's just trying to get away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 14th, 2008, 3:23 pm 
Regular

I'm not a vegetarian, I just don't like forced fights between animals.

Dr. Insane-o