Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 23rd, 2017, 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What movies, shows, or game that would be great as an anime?
PostPosted: June 4th, 2008, 11:22 pm 
Major Contributor

Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
I don't know if belongs here, but here it goes. I just thought of a question(s). What movies, TV shows, or video games that you would like to see as an anime or anime series and why?

Here's my list.
The Godzilla Movie Series- It would be AWESOME, no wait, PERFECT if there's an official Godzilla anime instead of the Hannah-Barbara cartoon of the 70's and the one series based of the American movie from the late 90's. Godzilla has been denied of that opportunity for far too long and being a huge icon of Japanese pop-culture, there's no reason that there should be an amine series under his name. Seeing Godzilla fighting villains like King Ghidorah, Biollante, Mechagodzilla, Gigan, Spacegodzilla, Destoroyah, etc. in anime style would be gawdly bad-ass. Also, I would think the human characters would be more interesting in an anime version rather than in the movies, because it's not only more appealing, but gives them more of peronally than in the movie. I know there's Godzilla manga out there, but they're released in Japan only though.
Still, Godzilla deserves more justice and Toho needs to get off their lazy asses and make it happen!

The Gamera Series- Same with Godzilla. There was going to be a Gamera anime in the making, but it was cancelled due to the poor box office sales for Gamera: The Brave(2006). Still, I think Gamera would be anime-worthy imo.

Any of Quinten Tarantino movies would look good as an amine. The short anime segment of Kill Bill Vol. 1 is proof what Tarantino look like in anime form, which would be awesome.
On second thought, I think if there should be a Tarantino anime, it would be Pulp Fiction and that's it.

An anime version of the Halo video games would be cool.

An anime version of 300, would look bad-ass.

Alein vs Predator series would good in anime form. I think it would expand upon the AvP Universe a bit and seeing Chestbursters come out, anime-style, would seriously rock my world.

Dino-Crisis would be cool as an anime, since there's a lack of anime titles with dinosaurs in them and dinosaurs can be great subjects to use in any media.

That's all I can think of right now and I'll update it later.
So what's your choices then?

Last edited by Gojira on June 6th, 2008, 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: What movies, shows, or game that would be great as an anime?
PostPosted: June 5th, 2008, 12:51 am 

This should probably go in the Anime section.

Anyway, Halo would be pretty cool to see animated. Although I can't imagine it would be that great. Prove me wrong anime companies, please!

Dragon Warrior series would be a cool anime I think. Most of the games have a good story and they could easily expand on the story.

The main thing is most video games are fun to play, but we all hate really long cutscenes. I can not even think of a videogame that has been turned into an anime. Besides Devil May Cry(which I hear isn't too bad), are there any video games that have been turned into anime?

PostPosted: June 5th, 2008, 1:30 am 
Post Master

Starcraft and Diablo 2.

Edit: Penumbra.

PostPosted: June 5th, 2008, 12:02 pm 
Resident Scholar

Gojira wrote:
The Godzilla Movie Series- It would be AWESOME, no wait, PERFECT if there's an official Godzilla anime

The Godzilla movies are pretty popular in Japan, otherwise there wouldn't be so many of them.
On the other hand if someone in charge thought it was a profitable idea to turn it into Anime it would probably have already been done. :D

Gojira wrote:
Any of Quinten Tarantino movies would look good as an amine. The short anime segment of Kill Bill Vol. 1 is proof what Tarantino look like in anime form, which would be awesome.

Oh, please, no... Tarantino's Anime tastes leave me just short of puking. Besides a lack of sexual contents what Tarantino presented in Kill Bill was exactly the kind of Anime that I don't want to see anymore today - the (negatively Anime clichee) stuff that I was watching when I was 15yo. That gory stuff is for kids... not really, but once you're not a kid anymore you begin to realize how stupid it is... depending on your IQ maybe... if your exclusively favorite drink is beer, if your favorite topics are super bowl, tits, guns or fast rides Tarantino Anime might be the right choice... :lol:

Mmsven wrote:
Starcraft and Diablo 2.

What would that look like?

StarCraft:

"Raynor here."
"Your troops ar under attack!"
*bambambambambambam!*
*screech!screech!screech!*
*bambambambambambam!*

"We need more Vespine gas!"
*bzzbzzbzz*
"Job's finished!"
"Gimme somethin' to shoot!"

"Your base is under attack!"
"Orders, Sir?"
"Roll out!"
*WAM!WAM!*
*splatter*
*bambambambambambam!*
*screech!screech!screech!*

:lol:

I haven't played "Diablo 2", so I can't come up with something similar, but if it's not more story-based than the first "Diablo" game, it would turn out being a rather mindless hack'n'slay Anime since there's hardly anything else to do than press the "Attack" button...

PostPosted: June 6th, 2008, 7:00 pm 
Regular

"The world ends with you"

Dr. Insane-o

PostPosted: June 6th, 2008, 8:26 pm 
Major Contributor

42317 wrote:
Gojira wrote:
The Godzilla Movie Series- It would be AWESOME, no wait, PERFECT if there's an official Godzilla anime

The Godzilla movies are pretty popular in Japan, otherwise there wouldn't be so many of them.
On the other hand if someone in charge thought it was a profitable idea to turn it into Anime it would probably have already been done. :D

True, but the problem is that the recent movies that came out including Godzilla: Final Wars(2004), were not very financially successful, except for Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack(2001). Though making a Godzilla anime would be kinda risky on Toho's part, but I think it will make Godzilla popular once again, but in a different format of course.

42317 wrote:
Gojira wrote:

Oh, please, no... Tarantino's Anime tastes leave me just short of puking. Besides a lack of sexual contents what Tarantino presented in Kill Bill was exactly the kind of Anime that I don't want to see anymore today - the (negatively Anime clichee) stuff that I was watching when I was 15yo. That gory stuff is for kids... not really, but once you're not a kid anymore you begin to realize how stupid it is... depending on your IQ maybe... if your exclusively favorite drink is beer, if your favorite topics are super bowl, tits, guns or fast rides Tarantino Anime might be the right choice... :lol:

Well I'm American and Americans are kinda violent-minded at times. I don't like beer, the Superbowl, not fond of guns that much, and don't give two shits about hot rods. But I like fighting dammit! I like it intense, bloody, and fierce! RAWR!!!!

OK that was bit crazy, but anyway....
I do see your point there, 42317. I do prefer having more sexual content in anime, as well as other media, more than violence, but that's not how American media is portayed now these days. We shun sex rather then violence, whereas Europeans are opposite of that (which I think is better imo). Plus, realizing that most of Tarantino's films wouldn't make good anime, except for Pulp Fiction.

EDIT: My list has been updated.

PostPosted: June 6th, 2008, 11:44 pm 
Post Master

Halo and AVP are total shit bombs without any story behind them. Explain to me why they would be worth making into any other medium?

PostPosted: June 6th, 2008, 11:59 pm 
Major Contributor

Mmsven wrote:
Halo and AVP are total shit bombs without any story behind them. Explain to me why they would be worth making into any other medium?

Halo would be good, because it has an actual story behind it. An anime version of Halo would go more in depth with some of the characters like Master Chief or Cortana, as well as the whole Halo universe. Plus, it would be could to see Master Chief battle the Covenant, anime-style. Of course, I would doubt that there will be a Halo anime and if there is, I highly doubt that it will be actually good. As zero_chaos says, "Prove me wrong anime companies, please!". That would be my answer there.

As for AvP to be an anime, well... I don't know what to say about it for sure.

PostPosted: June 7th, 2008, 12:43 am 
Post Master

I played and beat the first Halo game and I know it has no story worth telling.

PostPosted: June 7th, 2008, 7:16 am 
Regular

Mmsven wrote:

I haven't played Halo, so I can't comment on it, but as for AvP... Are you referring to the movies? Or the games?

The first AvP video game wouldn't do well as an anime. There was barely any interaction and the stories of the three different races had no interconnection at all.

The second AvP video game, however... That was actually quite fun. Each of the the three races had a story that was interwoven with the others as part of a single over-arching storyline. I don't know how anime writers could actually pull off being able to write a series from the point of view of three different creatures, with DRASTICALLY different outlooks and ways of looking at life. A Predator might be similar enough to a human in terms of basic needs and motivations, but an Alien has no such connections. It exists to serve the Queen, and nothing else.

PostPosted: June 7th, 2008, 1:15 pm 

Mmsven wrote:
I played and beat the first Halo game and I know it has no story worth telling.

I think you might need to go back and replay it. The first game had a pretty complex plot. The second really expands on that and same for the third. Now if the anime solely focused on the video game plot it would probably be horrible(just because the plot was biased on gameplay, no gameplay in an anime). But the game and plot could easily be expanded. I mean just look at the number of Halo books there are.

I think it has a lot of potential to be an anime series and probably a big following. I also think it would only be average and nothing amazing. But I will say it again, prove me wrong anime companies.

Guitar Hero Anime anyone? :o I am just joking but they have made stranger anime then that.

And I am sure most of the titles named here are just pipe dreams. There are tons of video games that I think would be cool as an anime but I know it would never work.

PostPosted: June 9th, 2008, 8:58 pm 

A shot at love with tila tequila!! (just kidding) actually i wouldn't mind seeing House as an anime :)

PostPosted: June 11th, 2008, 2:10 pm 
Regular

Honestly, I'd like to see some science fiction books make the leap.

For instance:

The "Foundation" series by Isaac Asimov

"Ender's Game" and its spinoffs by Orson Scott Card

Both of these would be good, as a live action version of either of these series would come off as cheesy (not to mention the difficulty in selling "Ender's Game" where more than one prepubescent is beaten to death), where as anime could adapt either series and do a good job.

Shows and movies...hmmm

Maybe an anime remake of "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari?" Though a live action remake is coming, so maybe that (the live action version) will do a good job at remaking the classic silent film.

I also wouldn't mind seeing "Friday the 13th the Series" brought back in a new. It would get kind of repetitive though, so there would have to be a set number of objects that needed to be reclaimed.

Dr. Insane-o

PostPosted: June 11th, 2008, 3:49 pm 
Resident Scholar

Cab329 wrote:
The "Foundation" series by Isaac Asimov

Yeah, that would be some megaproject I'd like to see!
But actually I don't care whether it'd become an Anime or a live-action movie series.

PostPosted: June 15th, 2008, 1:15 am 

Mmsven wrote:

Well the first Halo game implies theres a universe and more jizzle behind what you played. Halo 2 and 3 build up upon that but you don't really get a good gist of the story without a fair bit of side reading, like the first Halo novel: The Fall of Reach which explains everything behind the Spartan program and what the hell Earth was doing before the Covenant came.

That said, the first novel would make a good movie of some sort. But I don't think the series has much potential for a episodic animated or live format. It just doesn't quite work as a show, since the game only did as well as it did was because it was fun to play and that theres decent multiplayer. There just wouldn't be much to show. Watching the MC run through corridor after corridor, gunning down enemies in his path one after another will get old, and the actual story events don't eat up that much time. Perfect for a game, completely lackluster for a show. The 2nd novel based on the first game was quite rubbish, and it was only saved by the fact you got the story in the point of view of the marines and covenant characters. Reading about the MC's cracking of covenant skulls under his foot isn't all that great. I don't imagine watching it would be much better.