Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 20th, 2017, 8:35 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 1st, 2007, 2:47 pm 
Resident Scholar

Caiobrz wrote:
Quote:
Which one are you referring to?
Fair question ... Haruhi Suzumiya... what others are there BTW?

Suzumiya Haruhi is probably the most famous Haruhi these days.
There are few more, but I guess the only other Haruhi of any real importance would be Fujioka Haruhi from Ôran Kôkô Hostclub.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 1st, 2007, 11:07 pm 
Regular

OMG how could I forget Haruhi from Hostbu?

hmm one question though, when writing oriental names here in a western forum, why switch fo family-name + first-name mode? just used to it or you think we should also get used to it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2007, 12:55 am 
Major Contributor

Caiobrz wrote:
hmm one question though, when writing oriental names here in a western forum, why switch fo family-name + first-name mode? just used to it or you think we should also get used to it?

I'm certainly used to it. Also a lot times saying their names the Western way just sounds, well weird.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2007, 1:37 pm 

Yes using Japanese names are great, unless you don't know them. Like me. I do know a good deal but for my safe could we keep the English names to at least the series. Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2007, 3:06 pm 
Regular

I'm a lot more used with westernized versions. For instance ANN feature character names in westernized versions, but staff/cast in oriental version, that's weird but I got used to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2007, 6:41 pm 
Major Contributor

I'd only have a problem if it's a situation like Naruto, where I saw the anime (where the names are westernized) first before getting into the manga in Shonen Jump (where I believe it would "Uzumaki Naruto). Even then, as long as they don't change the names beyond westernization I'd be able to sort it out so where it's no real issue at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2007, 6:46 pm 
Resident Scholar

Caiobrz wrote:
when writing oriental names here in a western forum, why switch fo family-name + first-name mode? just used to it or you think we should also get used to it?

I'm a student of Japanese culture - there is no other way of writing their names for me! :D
Whenever I read Japanese names written in western order I feel disturbed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 3rd, 2007, 10:22 am 

Ugh, yeah the German is going to give us English lessons. That's a good idea. (Although I do have to say I could probably use them. But I am getting better.)

I'm being critical. Guys does it reall matter is they use Westernizes or Eastern order for the names. Part of the reason they do it I'm guessing though has to do with the speed difference between Japanese and English. From my experience of listening to other languages, English is very very slow by comparison.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 3rd, 2007, 12:35 pm 
Regular

Quote:
I'm being critical. Guys does it reall matter is they use Westernizes or Eastern order for the names. Part of the reason they do it I'm guessing though has to do with the speed difference between Japanese and English. From my experience of listening to other languages, English is very very slow by comparison.

You guess is very off, it's just a standard. Westerners use first + second + family name, oriental use family + first name. When you talk about globalization, you must adress the fact that a lot of people, not to get confused, switches the name order, so a lot of reference sites have westernized names, while others hold the oriental structure.

So knowing how and when to use them is important, or you might bump into ANN's "Haruhi Suzumiya" and then get all confused when in the anime they say her name as "Suzumiya" or list it as "Suzumiya Haruhi". It's more a newby question, sure people used to it don't care, it's also often easy once you get used to Japanese names to guess which name is the family name, but either way, I think it's a valid question ;)

To make things worst, I am tired of reading BOTH formats in ANN, like one character is family+first and other is listed as first+family ... if you don't talk about this things and decide on a standard to follow, that's what is going to happen, thus the importance ;)

But this is all off topic. I think they have a good point and I will try to get used to oriental standard, though it will be a pain to change all character names at my site xD~

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 4th, 2007, 2:28 pm 

Dude, i hate to tell you this, But I'm and Jackass American and NO BODY is going to tell me that I have to call a character by their last name or first. I'll put it up any way I damn well please, you can either adapt or skip my posts, but I'm not conforming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 4th, 2007, 2:41 pm 
Regular

Okay.........:( (why'd you have to bring the US into it adict? )

I've been wondering...would a strong female character be a moe type? If I read the article right, it seems that moe showcases submissive girls.

Dr. Insane-o

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 4th, 2007, 7:15 pm 
Regular

the adict is really on a whole other level...

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 4th, 2007, 7:26 pm 
Regular

dbd_addict wrote:

Well, he did say he was a "Jackass American". :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 4th, 2007, 8:29 pm 
Major Contributor

Cab329 wrote:
I've been wondering...would a strong female character be a moe type? If I read the article right, it seems that moe showcases submissive girls.

What about the fighter type? In the best video game protagonist thread, I once called Heather a fighter type by this thread's rational, and there's no way in hell she's submissive.

Zaxares wrote:
dbd_addict wrote:

Well, he did say he was a "Jackass American". :P

Adict did say he was a Jackass American... but I'm not gonna go there the way I'm half-inclined to, cause I don't think it'd help.

You can do it however you want, but I had the impression that the point of this debate of the semantics of switching surname and first name around was ... Well ... It's getting to a point where I really don't get it at all anymore, and this Jackass American stuff... Why?

Let's stay on topic, shall we?

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 7th, 2007, 2:33 am 
Regular

lol that was so uncalled for .... nobody was forcing no one about naming conventions, I, as NOT an American Jackass, only wanted other people's opinions so I could make an informed decision on which was best.

Anyway, Cab329 I also like Lettuce ^^ but in Tokyo Mew Mew I liked more Zakuro ... actually, I love Zakuro *_* I even vectored her: http://www.daisuki.com.br/wallpaper/151