Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 24th, 2017, 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Organazing and rating your mp3 collection
PostPosted: November 23rd, 2007, 2:21 am 
Regular

So, I am trying to organize my huge mp3 collection, winamp sux so I'm trying with WMP11

Although bloated and with LOTS of useless stuff, I think it's actually ok - though I still can't understand why microsoft won't let me create a tree structure-like on my libraries. So, two questions:

One, HOW THE HELL DO I EDIT/RATE A SONG? I have a library which let's me rate them normaly (just click on the dumb stars, or F2 and change the name), and I have another library where this won't work, and at right-click both "edit" and "rate" are disabled, but I can use advanced tag edit (and edit everything fine)

seams that it's pretty random, some mp3 I can rate/edit, some I cant. Also, those I can't rate, I CAN actually rate if I open the stupid list panel, than rate at the list panel. It will show the rate at the library but again won't let me change.

Second question: any other better option rather than WMP to organize my mp3? I would like to be able to put a mp3 in more than one category. Like in an anime folder and than on the singer folder.

I use winamp 2 since I never liked 3 and 5 is more bloated than WMP, but if you tell me winamp 5 can organize my stuff better than all, I will use it

Thanks in advance ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 23rd, 2007, 3:20 pm 
Resident Scholar

I'm using WinAmp for my mp3 collection. The collection is not very big so WinAmp does the job.
Anyways, my HD is only a station before I burn the stuff on CD, so I organize it in a minimalistic way.
Which means I edit the mp3 data OUTSIDE a media player, creating folders and according subfolders, naming the files "artist - song", then INSIDE WinAmp I apply ID3 tags and that's it. Why should I make it a big fuss?

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 23rd, 2007, 9:10 pm 
Regular

In the file system obviously my collection is widelly organized, I have 25Gb of mp3 currently, but I can find one I want in a heart bit. The issue is creating playlists. For instance, All Mikuni Shimokawa songs (which are lots of folders, one per single/album) ... still easy with most programs, just "open folder" and it will queue all files recursivelly - fine.

What about "all songs I like" ? =p

"All Mikuni songs from anime"
"All Anime OP" (each is inside their own anime folder)

A partial solution is creating one playlist for each of those, but it's still hard for the "all songs I like" etc.

That's why I liked the rating systems that WMP offers. I tryed WinAmp 5.5 and it also have rating support but man, that's a stupdly complicated system they have, "local media", "Library", "Playlists" yadda yadda ><;

I'm currently trying to get used with WinAmp 5 but it's a pain that you cannot rate with a single click at the playlists, only at the media library =/

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 24th, 2007, 2:32 pm 
Resident Scholar

Caiobrz wrote:
What about "all songs I like" ?

Is that just an example?
Or do you actually keep songs on your HD that you don't like? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 24th, 2007, 3:52 pm 
Regular

lol, that's funny but I don't think one person can just love all songs the same way.

You really either love or hate stuff? do you delete the middle term? what about the ones you like 80%?

No, I don't have songs I dislike, but no, I don't love all of them the same. For instance, I love Mikuni Shimokawa's voice, I have ALL of her songs (and I like them all) because of her voice, but obviously, there are some songs I like because they have added qualities (such as a rithim, tone, lyrics, that I like better)

I would say more than 50% of the songs I have would not fall into "favorite", but none I dislike listening.

Discussing a scalar criticism of tastes is very weird

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 24th, 2007, 6:03 pm 
Resident Scholar

Caiobrz wrote:
You really either love or hate stuff? do you delete the middle term?

No, there are either songs that I like or songs that I find "not good".
Of course, according to my state of mind I'd like to hear different songs. I had "Sore ga Ai deshou" as well as "Sakura Saku" play for three hours once, and sometimes I listen to Napalm Death only playlists.
WinAmp playlists fulfill my needs. What you are planning seems to need a new set of software or a serious update of an existing program. :D

Caiobrz wrote:
what about the ones you like 80%?

Depending on my mood, I'd like to listen to a certain kind of music - either 100% or not at all.
How could I listen to a song 80%?

Caiobrz wrote:
I love Mikuni Shimokawa's voice, I have ALL of her songs (and I like them all)

Oh, you're into her music, too. Well, There are tracks on her Anime cover album ("Remember - Seishun Ani-song House" or something) that are a little boring, so I kicked them off the HD. If you're asking for details, in short it was tracks #2, #3, #11 and #13. (There's no point in keeping songs I won't listen to.) The Megamix was rather nice, but all in all I felt a little disturbed by the fact that all original songs were turned into some sort of techno-like dance music.

Caiobrz wrote:
Discussing a scalar criticism of tastes is very weird

Right you are. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 26th, 2007, 10:17 pm 
Major Contributor

I mostly use Creative Media Source 5 for organizing my audio files. It does a fairly good job, and also allows a fair amount of flexibility when it comes to smart playlists. Though I'm not sure if it works if you don't have a creative sound card.