Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 16th, 2017, 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 9th, 2007, 10:34 pm 
Major Contributor

Well, like I said, the most logical thing to do is to offload video processing to the GPU rather than the CPU. I mean the whole point of a GPU is to offload graphical processing from the CPU. That's the reason why stand-alone video cards came out in the first place. And graphical processing should include not only 3D (games) but 2D graphics (video) as well. Both nvidia and ATI have done it with MPEG-2 and WMV in the past, and both are doing it now with AVC. Eventually every graphics card that comes out will offload most of the video processing to the GPU and let the CPU handle other things.

Post subject: Re: AVI vs. MP4 vs. MKV
PostPosted: June 9th, 2008, 9:21 pm 
Newcomer

Forgive me for reviving a long since dead thread, but from what I have read of the previous 16 posts, it sounds like there are serious anger issues associated not only with the matroska container but also the Windows OS.

I agree is Spazmaster666 in saying that matroska is a very good container, in my mind what makes it so great is the fact that it is licensed under the GNU L-GPL. As previously mentioned, this allows users to tweak the code and improve the format vs other proprietary formats. Secondly I would say that if you have such a big deal with Vista, there is no need upgrade, nor do you need to use Directx10.

Instead there are plenty of Open Source alternatives to fit your purposes. Instead of using Windows for gaming, word processing, and for entertainment, you can download a Posix standard alternative loaded with the same software or find fully functioning alternatives all over the web. If you still miss Windows, you can work natively implementing the Windows APi and give that a whirl.

These of course are merely suggestions

PostPosted: June 16th, 2008, 5:55 am 
Newcomer

(Hey, why not resurrect dead threads?!?!?) :)

Nope - it's just Caiobrz. That boy from Brazil was just pissed he got a crappy laptop, tried DL'ing some mkv's which didn't work and is taking it out on the nearest easy target. Sounds like he's still able to get a format he wants out of it with a little backwards-looking conversion. Need to get a better laptop next time nino, no es verdad?

These are the same people that complained about yEnc a few years back, refuse to do away with Outlook Express, still bitch about it, and wonder why the world left them behind. I mean, does anyone (apart from the uber-geeks) actually prefer command line interfaces to using a GUI and a mouse? Some folks refuse to learn and accept progess. Yes, people really did land on the moon, the earth is not flat, and humanity is more than 6000 years old (God did not create it then and put fossils into the soil just to 'test our faith' - as someone in our tour group actually said while visiting the Grand Canyon many years ago---!!!).

AVI - outdated container. Good for its time. Still in use, ubiquitous, will eventually go away just like 8 Track Tape and LP's with further adoption of H.264 in hardware devices. Death will be a bit protracted as DivX tries to retain its grip on hardware media player support.

MP4 - Semi-proprietary, more widespread due to default end user container for Ipod/Itunes and support for H.264 in PSP/Xbox. Look at it as a edge/end-use container and not a core/network one (i.e. from MKV-->MP4, not vice versa)

MKV - Better all around open source container. AVI's successor. With H.264 encodes supported on the now standard HD-Bluray format, *hopefully* we'll see these entering support in hardware products soon. The challenge still lies in a couple of facts: 1) that content-makers want more control over the distribution mechanism, which is why we had Divx/AVI and now (slightly better) MP4. Want MKV support for hardware devices? Make firm requests to the manufacturers (i.e. you'll ONLY buy their players if they support MKV). Hit them where it counts - in their wallet. 2) Matroska developers and the Hardware folks will have to agree on at least semi-standardized 'builds' that they will support, and/or allow for regular firmware upgrades, in a format which by its very (open-source) nature is constantly changing. This is currently in process but by no means certain.

The anime crowd was/is ahead of the curve vs. the mainstream audience (from necessity, as well as from forward-thinking), followed by the scene groups, once again. Now with more widespread support in the scene and hardware that will play these streams without hiccups, we will see the content/user adoption shift towards H.264/AAC/MKV more rapidly. The question is where the hardware support will be - behind MP4, MKV, or both?

-TL

PostPosted: June 16th, 2008, 6:55 pm 
Resident Scholar

I'm all for progress. But that must go for players, too, like I do want my videos to run on my DVD player, and the industry does not seem to keen about adopting .mkv as an option. Eventually, I'm interested in things working, I don't care how, but they have to work, so I'm a bit reluctant about .mkv because it's hard to convert into .avi - which my DVD player does play.

Besides, you don't need to be rude to Caiobrz, calling him a "boy" and more or less subtly suggesting he was stupid or something just because his opinion is sort of conservative.

PostPosted: June 16th, 2008, 8:43 pm 
Post Master

42317 wrote:
Besides, you don't need to be rude to Caiobrz, calling him a "boy" and more or less subtly suggesting he was stupid or something just because his opinion is sort of conservative.

Have you ever read any of Caiobrz's posts? He does that shit all the time. I would say he deserves whatever negative comments he recieves.