Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 18th, 2017, 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for a digital camera
PostPosted: November 2nd, 2007, 6:16 am 
Regular

I've decided I want to get myself a digital camera. However, I haven't the faintest idea where I should start, what are good models, what are resolutions I should be looking for, important things to consider etc. etc.

So, I'm going to throw the question out to you all. What's a good digital camera for an average user (read: doesn't take photos every day for no apparent reason) and what's a decent price range I should aim for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 2nd, 2007, 6:17 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Moving to the general forum, since it fits better in there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 2nd, 2007, 10:10 am 
Resident Scholar

You should be able to find a decent model for about 150 USD.
It should have about 5 Megapixels or more... and a... whatsitcalled... mechanical zoom function... you know, protracting and retracting the lense like a telescope as opposed to digital zoom which any picture viewer on your computer can do.
Video option is nice, if you're into short YouTube clips.
I think my memory card is like 32 MB... gives me 54 pictures of 2048x1536 in size.
Enough for people who don't take pictures like mad on any day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 2nd, 2007, 11:10 am 
Major Contributor

Canon is the best brand. Nowadays digital cameras are pretty cheap so one in the $150 to $250 range is probably ideal. Also you need to decide if you prefer compact cameras since you can usually get a non-compact version that has more features for the same price as a compact version that has an inferior featureset.

I recommend the Canon Powershot A720. It's a 8.0 MP camera with 6x optical zoom and a decent feature set. It's considered "low-end" but for the casual user so it doesn't have nearly the type of capabilities as say a Rebel XT model, but it has plenty of features and excellent quality. And siting at around $210, it's a pretty good price also.

For $60 more you can also get the PowerShot SX100, which has better image quality, more features (such as a full set of manual exposure options and optical image stabilization) and also that nice 10x optical zoom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 2nd, 2007, 9:02 pm 
Regular

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

$200+ is probably more than I'm willing to spend for a camera, but those links you provided gave me a good idea of what sort of features I should be looking for. The video feature sounds interesting, although it's probably not something I'm going to use, so I can live without it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 2nd, 2007, 11:02 pm 

If you're not planning to do anything much with the photos besides look at them on your computer, I mean 8MP can be a bit excessive. I mean 3264x2448 is bigger than just about every desktop resolutions people use.... well I have a Sony Cybershot 8.1 Megapixels. And you don't have the option to look through some hole like traditional cameras, its just one big touch screen behind it. It snaps photos pretty quick, even if your arm is a bit shakey, its just fast so theres minimal blur unless the image is of a speeding car and your arm is swinging left and right simultaneously.... its probably quite a nice thing to have consumer wise. But its probably kinda pricey.

Googling my camera, it looks like it costs 200++ USD. Somehow I don't recall it ever being that expensive, but I bought it in Malaysia. I think our electronics there just tend to be cheaper. Well Sony is one of the more expensive brands after all....