Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 19th, 2017, 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Influential Movies
PostPosted: August 31st, 2007, 6:25 am 
Resident Scholar

Influential - in what way?
Socially influential for example. Or either way you like.
Of course there are obviously influential movies like "StarWars" or Tron, but "smaller" publications are often neglected.

How about "Dirty Dancing" (1987)? Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey swinging their hips, demonstrating that love and a good dance show can build a bridge across prejudice and social standing?
Oh how I hated that movie... 8)
Suddenly dancing academies were established everywhere, in every county at least one and young people would join them and learn how to dance. I was 10yo at the time and I had no intention of learning how top dance, but my parents "enlisted" and since they paid a "family fee" (which made it free for one's kids to join the club also) I was forced to go. I think they wished for more social contacts for me since I didn't like my schoolmates very much and spent most of my time in my room, reading.

Even when I joined the club I didn't know the movie yet, but I would soon, because anytime we had a gathering outside the hall, in a restaurant or in a youth hostel or anywhere, that damn movie would run. And in the end we even performed a show dancing to "Time of my Life" and some Mambo.
Plus all the idiots that I despised (and who despised me) joined the club and after a little more than a year I refused to continue this idiocy.

I think the dancing boom has long since died down. Many of the clubs disappeared until ten years after "Dirty Dancing" but for a time it had a really strong impact.

Back to the topic... "Back to the Future" (1985) comes to my mind.
When that movie ran in Germany suddenly all the kids wanted skateboards. It was a real hype.
Everybody below the age of 21 was riding skateboards. Clubs were created, parcours were built in former industry areas, the kids would try more and more complicated stunts and break their limbs and they had a certain taste of music for all that. Before the movie we didn't even know that skateboards existed.
I've tried it once. Almost broke my knee and severely bruised my hip. I'm not made for that stuff.

I think the hype is over, the invention of the Mountain-Bike (also already long ago) pushed the skateboard back.
There are still skateboarders out there, but today they look like Nirvana fans and listen to a more aggressive type of music. :D The industry is still there. "Skate and BMX Shops", which were unheard of until the beginning of the nineties I think, can still be found in towns (10,000 people +).

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 5th, 2007, 11:32 am 

My vote is for the Star Treck movies, simply because its Star Treck one of the most influential series off all time! It gave us cellhpone, laptops and more.

Next would have to be Rambo First Blood, the first movie. It was the first anything to bring up what war really does to a person. How for the soldier the war is never really over and how difficult the transition back to 'normal' life can be. it changed a lot of things and braught to light post tramatic shock into the pupblic eye.

Saving Private Rion, I spelled that wrong. Easy the most realastic war movie of all time. I was the first movie to really show what war is really like, and it did it extremely well.

Now to comments, yeah I hated dity dancing, I didn't think it was that good. Back to the Future was okay, I've never actually watched any of the movies all the way threw :roll: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 5th, 2007, 3:37 pm 
Major Contributor

Pulp Fiction is probably the most influential movie in the last 15 years, at least in terms of influences on film making.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 6th, 2007, 11:26 am 

actually i think Apocalypse Now was out a few years before the first rambo movie and there's no way you will tell me that Rambo showed the clearer picture of what war does to people then Apocalypse Now and to a greater effect too.

besides that, Toy Story has to be up there. its the first fuly CG animated movie, and although I do dislike the genre there is no way i can say that it didn't influent people and movies.

#1 Chloe fanatic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 6th, 2007, 1:21 pm 

While it has been done better Rambo first blood, the first one was one of the first movies to address the issue. It was also one of the movies that pushed the envelope in terms of voilance.