Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 23rd, 2017, 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HD DVD Vrs. BluRay
PostPosted: August 4th, 2007, 11:53 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Well, this DVD battle has been going on for longer than I thought it was going to, but as things continue and neither seem like they are dying, it's time for me to make a choice. So my question is, which format is actually better, BluRay or HD DVD? I know very little about either, all I have heard is that BluRay can store 10-20 gigs more. So does anyone with more first hand knowledge have any idea? Also, even if one version is better than the other, does it seem as though that version is winning the battle?

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 5th, 2007, 10:22 am 

Well supposedly BluRay has better picture and sound quality as well as bigger storage. To tell the truth I hope HD and BluRay btoh continue to exist, but lets face it that's probably not goign to happen. I predict this little format terf war is going to end up like the last one bewteen Betamax and VHS, the cheaper one is going to win. That means HD is going to win but at this point I don't know nor care. They're still coming out with standard DVDs so I'm good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 5th, 2007, 9:53 pm 
Major Contributor

BD has greater disc capacity per layer (25GB per layer as opposed to 15GB per layer for HD-DVD). However, as we've seen both Microsoft's VC-1 codec (used for all HD-DVD discs) and MPEG-4 Part 10 (h264; used for most new BD discs) codec both provide excellent quality at bitrates which do not command a 50GB disc. In fact, many BD discs that came out earlier only used up 25GB anyway since yields for the double-layered discs haven't been great for Sony. Meanwhile HD-DVD has been coming out with 30 GB double-layer discs since the beginning, with 45GB triple-layer discs on the way.

In a nutshell: there really is not much difference for the consumer since both formats give excellent picture and audio quality (1080p, loss-less surround sound, etc). However, as of now HD-DVD provides a slightly better in-movie experience with features such as picture-in-picture which are not yet available on Blu-Ray.

The main difference is that there are far more exclusive BD studios right now than HD-DVD so in the long run, HD-DVD will have trouble keeping up if it stays this way. Fortunatly there are still plenty of studios going format-neutral, which is a good thing for the consumer. The other difference is that HD-DVD costs about the same as DVDs to manufacture while BD, at this point, costly significantly more.

BD is "winning" though at this point, if we consider the PS3 as a "BD-player." If not, then HD-DVD players definitely have a big lead in terms of stand-alone player sales.

And who knows maybe its about time that Sony actually won a format war eh? of course that would be tough luck for Toshiba . . . :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 5th, 2007, 11:27 pm 
Resident Admin

Ugh, looks like it isn't going to end any time soon... Guess I will just have to buy an HD DVD player, which seems to be much cheaper, and then get a PS3 as soon as FF13 comes out or something like that. Then I can play both formats.

I guess when you really look at it, it isn't much different than having to have a PS3 and an Xbox360. Both have games in common and games that are exclusive, it's just something we haven't really had to deal with concerning media formats. It just makes things more of a pain in the end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 6th, 2007, 6:51 am 
Major Contributor

Acmurphy wrote:
Ugh, looks like it isn't going to end any time soon... Guess I will just have to buy an HD DVD player, which seems to be much cheaper, and then get a PS3 as soon as FF13 comes out or something like that. Then I can play both formats.

Yeah that was kinda my philosophy. The $200 I chucked out for my HD-DVD player is no where near the $600+ I've need to pay for a decent Blu-Ray player. And I always did plan on getting a PS3, once the price drops a little more.

Acmurphy wrote:
I guess when you really look at it, it isn't much different than having to have a PS3 and an Xbox360. Both have games in common and games that are exclusive, it's just something we haven't really had to deal with concerning media formats. It just makes things more of a pain in the end.

Well the difference is that there are significant hardware differences between the 360 and the PS3. The differences between HD-DVD and BD are basically storage capacity and manufacturing cost. neither of which should really matter to the consumer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 12th, 2008, 12:18 am 
Resident Admin

Netflix, Best Buy Choose Blu-ray Disc over HD DVD
posted on 2008-02-11 22:04 EST
Netflix phases out HD DVD rentals; Best Buy to "prominently showcase" BD

Netflix, the online DVD rental service, has announced that because of a "clear signal from the industry," it will begin stocking high-definition discs in the Blu-ray Disc format only. The service will purchase no more HD DVD discs, and it will phase out its current inventory by the end of the year. Since early 2006, it has tried to stock both formats, and currently offers about 400 separate Blu-ray titles. Both Netflix and the separate RentAnime specialty rental service offer HD DVD/DVD Twin disc volumes of Freedom from Bandai Visual USA, the only major North America distributor to have released anime on HD DVD so far. Warner Brothers plans to release Appleseed: Ex Machina on DVD, Blu-ray Disc, and HD DVD on April 1, before phasing out HD DVD.

Also today, electronics retailer Best Buy has stated that while it is not phasing out sales of HD DVD releases and players, it will "prominently showcase" Blu-ray Disc software and hardware products in its stores starting in March.

Source: ANN

---------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like the end of the format war could be finally concluding. Best Buy switching more-so to Blu-ray and Netflix completely getting rid of HD DVD's is a pretty big endorsement for Blu-Ray and is probably going to sound the death toll for HD. At least I hope it does so I can finally start picking up High def DVD's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 12th, 2008, 12:28 am 
Post Master

Sony made a smart move adding the Blu-Ray player onto PS3s. They may be losing money making PS3s (they ARE btw) but they will gain quite a lot in the long run.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 12th, 2008, 12:51 am 
Major Contributor

This is unfortunate given that I've always preferred HDDVD movies over Bluray movies so far (The menus are better, and the picture-in-picture features are excellent.) But this seems to be inevitable. I don't really care that much of course since I recently purchased an LG 6X Bluray Burner + HDDVD combo drive. Still it's a shame to see HDDVD slowly on the way out considering it has some technological advantages over Bluray. Not to mention the triple layer discs have 45GB of space which is competitive with dual-layer 50GB Bluray discs.

Of course this battle was never really about the physical discs themselves and at this point, despite these losses, HDDVD is still not out of the game yet. The reason for this is because ultimately the battle between these two formats will end up being a battle of interactivity. For instance, from the start HDDVD got the nod from enthusiasts because of its universal standards (i.e. each HDDVD player had to support certain requirements whereas Bluray ray standards are still all over the place) and it's XML based HDi system was at first superior to BD-J which was Java based. But now, the tables have turned as the updated BD-J now has many of the same features as HDi and in fact are now preferred by content providers since it uses a similar format as interactive digital cable does.

This quote from cepro.com provides some interesting insight:

"The HD DVD versus Blu-ray debate is far from over. The real “battle” is about content providers developing for their interactive and social community features—not the prices, storage space, physical media, or the hardware-based players most of the news media still touts."

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 18th, 2008, 4:25 pm 
Resident Admin

More possible bad news for HD DVD:

Toshiba may drop HD DVD format
Japanese electronics maker says it has started a review of its HD DVD business, but no decision has been made.
February 17 2008: 9:22 PM EST

TOKYO (AP) -- Toshiba may pull the plug on its high-definition DVD format but no decision has been made, the Japanese electronics maker said in a statement Monday.

Toshiba Corp. has started a review of its HD DVD business, it said, amid reports by the Wall Street Journal and Kyodo News agency that Toshiba was considering pulling out after losing ground to the competing Blu-ray disc format.

The Journal, citing people familiar with the situation, reported Sunday that the company is likely to pull out early this week.

A Toshiba pullout would signal the almost certain defeat of HD DVD to Blu-ray, which is backed by Sony Corp (SNE)., five major Hollywood movie studios and others.

Only one format has been expected to emerge as the winner, much like VHS trumped Sony's Betamax in the video format battle of the 1980s.

Recently the Blu-ray disc format has been gaining market share, while Toshiba has been forced to slash prices to sell its HD DVD machines.

On Friday, Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (WMT, Fortune 500), the largest U.S. retailer, said it will sell only Blu-ray DVDs and hardware and no longer carry HD DVD offerings.

The announcement came five days after Netflix Inc. said it will cease carrying rentals in HD DVD. Several major U.S. retailers have made similar decisions, including Target Corp. (TGT, Fortune 500) and Blockbuster Inc.

Last month, Warner Bros. Entertainment decided to release movie discs only in the Blu-ray format, becoming the latest studio to reject HD DVD.

Warner Bros., owned by Time Warner Inc. (TWX, Fortune 500), had been the only remaining Hollywood studio releasing high-definition DVDs in both formats.

Should Toshiba exit the business, companies supporting its HD DVD format -- including General Electric Co.'s (GE, Fortune 500) Universal Pictures and Viacom Inc.'s (VIA) Paramount Pictures -- would be released from their contracts, the Journal reported.

Both formats deliver crisp, clear high-definition pictures and sound, but they are incompatible with each other, and neither plays on older DVD players.

HD DVD was touted as being cheaper because it was more similar to previous video technology, while Blu-ray boasted bigger recording capacity than HD DVD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 18th, 2008, 7:58 pm 
Resident Scholar

spazmaster666 wrote:
whereas Bluray ray standards are still all over the place

Does that mean if I buy a Blueray player it won't play all Blueray movies? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 19th, 2008, 2:03 am 
Post Master

42317 wrote:

If it doesn't play all the movies, then update your firmware and it should be fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 19th, 2008, 6:28 pm 
Resident Scholar

Mmsven wrote:
42317 wrote:
If it doesn't play all the movies, then update your firmware and it should be fine.

I was not talking about computer hardware. :?:

Sorry, I'm obviously too old to know what "firmware" actually is. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 20th, 2008, 2:10 am 
Post Master

42317 wrote:
I was not talking about computer hardware. :?:

Firmware is the software on your player (I think)? You probly hook it up to your computer somehow and install it.