Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 17th, 2017, 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Harry Potter
PostPosted: July 27th, 2007, 11:48 pm 

A thread on the Harry Potter books.

Spoilers should be titled "SPOILER!" Before anything is said for anyone who has not gotten far in the books.

Anyone here a fan?

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28th, 2007, 12:05 am 

I read the 7th book on sunday. I thought it was a nice ending, but I felt it was a little predictable. There were two things i really wanted to find out in the book. Snape's nature and also the Hermione's fate.
About the ending, i thought it was a little weak, but I enjoyed it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28th, 2007, 1:57 pm 

I thought the ending was very good. I was very happy to find out about Snape's past and that was a big hi-light. I also enjoyed some of the conversations between Snape and Dumbledore.

If some people did not know, J.K. Rowling said she wrote the last chapter of the 7th book after writing the first book. She said she changed a few things.

*Spoiler*

She stated that originally Lupin and Tonks survived and Malfoy died but went back and changed it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28th, 2007, 4:10 pm 
Major Contributor

I hope I'm not to only one who gets bored to tears by Harry Potter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28th, 2007, 8:55 pm 
Regular

I never really followed the series, so I don't really know what's the big fuss about HP. I wouldn't mind if Harry bit the dust though; hate that little twerp. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28th, 2007, 9:29 pm 

Oh, yea, I thought Snape's story was actually the best part of the book, but i think many of the deaths lacked power, the final battle could've had more tension, and the 19 years later ch wasn't fitting. Besides that everything was good. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 29th, 2007, 10:55 pm 

I was shocked after reading that there was not more deaths. I think she had the idea that many young children read the books. So she didn't want to make it too dark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 29th, 2007, 11:29 pm 

zero_chaos wrote:
I was shocked after reading that there was not more deaths. I think she had the idea that many young children read the books. So she didn't want to make it too dark.
I guess you are right, if it were too dark many kids would have been scarred for life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 30th, 2007, 1:15 am 

If you go back and read the older books it gives so many little details and things that show up later in the 7th book. Its very interesting to read and piece together the little things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 30th, 2007, 3:03 am 

wolfwood wrote:
zero_chaos wrote:
I guess you are right, if it were too dark many kids would have been scarred for life.

Most of the kids that read the 7th book grew up with the books, so those kids that started reading HP when it first came out are probably young adults or older teens now to deal with the deaths.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 30th, 2007, 2:15 pm 

Well, I can't believe she came out and said that Dumbledore was gay in the book. That is wonderful, I mean she did it just for publicity.

There is not one time in the whole book that you could deduce that he was gay. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 30th, 2007, 8:33 pm 
Regular

I heard about this on the news, but frankly, my reaction was "So?" So what if he's gay? I don't believe Dumbledore's sexuality really affects the story at all.

As to signs about his sexuality, apparently the issue was raised on fan forums about why Dumbledore has had no close relationships with women that are ever mentioned in the books, so when one fan finally put the question to Rowling, she told the gathered audience that Dumbledore was gay. Evidently a few other people (including the director of the HP movies) knew the truth, however.

In any case, what I'm most interested to see is the fallout from this revelation, and whether more parents will now forbid their children from reading Harry Potter because "it will make them gay". I LOVE a good media mudslinging fight. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 30th, 2007, 8:45 pm 
Major Contributor

zero_chaos wrote:
Well, I can't believe she came out and said that Dumbledore was gay in the book. That is wonderful, I mean she did it just for publicity.

I'm surprised this didn't come up sooner. I kind of agree that this might of just been a PR stunt though.

zero_chaos wrote:
There is not one time in the whole book that you could deduce that he was gay. :evil:

Wikipedia claims his relationship with Grindelwald "extended to unrequited love, which may have initially blinded him to the extent of Grindlewald's schemes." I wouldn't have read it that way, but it does make sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 31st, 2007, 6:59 am 
Resident Scholar

Zaxares wrote:
the issue was raised on fan forums about why Dumbledore has had no close relationships with women that are ever mentioned in the books, so when one fan finally put the question...

Are HP fans the strangest or what? They seem to have a tendency to interpret all kinds of stuff, like leading to the question (to Rowling) "why she hated her father". Not "if" but "why". :!:

Anyways, just that a male character has no however depicted relationship to female characters is a bit of a weak argument that he might be gay. Are Frodo, Gimli and Legolas gay?

Be it as it may, in the end it shouldn't be worth much more than a "So what?" remark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 31st, 2007, 8:58 pm 
Regular

42317 wrote:
Are HP fans the strangest or what? They seem to have a tendency to interpret all kinds of stuff, like leading to the question (to Rowling) "why she hated her father". Not "if" but "why". :!:

Anyways, just that a male character has no however depicted relationship to female characters is a bit of a weak argument that he might be gay. Are Frodo, Gimli and Legolas gay?

Be it as it may, in the end it shouldn't be worth much more than a "So what?" remark.

Not the strangest. Fans ANYWHERE discuss and argue over the most bizarre things from the object of their fanaticism. ;)

And about LotR… I dunno… I always thought there was a weird homoerotic thing going on between Frodo and Samwise.

“Mr Frodo!”
“Oh, Sam!”
“Mr Frodo!”
“Oh, Sam!”
“Mr Frodo!”
“Oh, Sam!”
“Mr Frodo!”
“Oh, Sam!”

You get the idea. ;)