Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 22nd, 2017, 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 75  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: July 20th, 2007, 4:09 pm 
Resident Scholar

rurounikenshin85 wrote:
fiberoptic connections. Approximately how much does that run a month?

Uh, "run" = "cost" or what?
I had such a connection but since that was in the college's dorm it was for free.

I now have a DSL flat myself, at home, so no more college library.
It's 4000 Mbit connection plus telephone flat for the equivalent of about 50 USD (35 E) per month, and I have no idea what kind of cable it is. :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 20th, 2007, 6:53 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Maybe it's a native speaker thing, assuming English is your second language, but yes, run=cost. It's common over here when talking about price to ask how much something will "run" you. Never really though it odd before, till you made the comment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2007, 9:43 pm 

Just got back from a trip with my Christian youth group to go see the Museum of Creation in Kentucky. It was an amazing trip and had plenty of stuff to do and see.

It talks about how young the earth really is and that we did not evolve from stupid monkeys. Really something everyone should see.

Now just relaxing and catching up with what I missed on TV and all the forums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 23rd, 2007, 12:24 am 
Major Contributor

zero_chaos wrote:
It talks about how young the earth really is and that we did not evolve from stupid monkeys.

Wait, don't tell me they advocate the so-called "Young Earth Theory"? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 23rd, 2007, 4:23 am 
Regular

zero_chaos wrote:
It talks about how young the earth really is and that we did not evolve from stupid monkeys. Really something everyone should see.

Now THERE'S a topic for the Philosophy thread. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 23rd, 2007, 4:16 pm 

Yes, they do. And it is a really good theory. I admit that at first I was really standoff-ish on that whole young earth theory but I have read a lot of examples to back it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 23rd, 2007, 8:27 pm 
Regular

Hmm, any links? I don't really believe in the Young Earth theory, but I like to keep an open mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 24th, 2007, 12:57 am 
Major Contributor

zero_chaos wrote:
Yes, they do. And it is a really good theory. I admit that at first I was really standoff-ish on that whole young earth theory but I have read a lot of examples to back it up.

Question: is their theory based on "science" or based upon biblical accounts? The former seems improbable and the latter, well is inconclusive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 24th, 2007, 1:58 pm 
Resident Scholar

spazmaster666 wrote:
"Young Earth Theory"

Ooh, I wouldn't know what to say about this now since I don't know how far I could go.
Let's just say I don't believe in the Genesis like told in the Bible.
Still I'd like to see that museum, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 24th, 2007, 8:21 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
I'm not a big believer in the Bible as being "fact," I view it more as a set of rules and guidelines that people should follow to be upright human beings, as well as showing you what will happen if you aren't. I think that science has proven that the Earth is some 4.5 billion years old, so I am not really sure about the "Young Earth Theory." Now I am not saying I don't believe in God, because I do, just that it doesn't seem that the Bible is really some sort of factual account of past events.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 25th, 2007, 3:19 am 
Major Contributor

42317 wrote:
Let's just say I don't believe in the Genesis like told in the Bible.
Still I'd like to see that museum, too.

Well here's the thing: no where in the bible does it say how old the earth is. Also the account told in Genesis is more one of a religious teaching rather than a creation account.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 25th, 2007, 12:17 pm 
Resident Scholar

spazmaster666 wrote:
Well here's the thing: no where in the bible does it say how old the earth is.

Your point?
Is that good or is that bad?
For whom?
:?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 26th, 2007, 4:07 pm 

Zaxares wrote:
Hmm, any links? I don't really believe in the Young Earth theory, but I like to keep an open mind.

That is the spirit! Here is a link: http://www.answersingenesis.org/

Quote:
Question: is their theory based on "science" or based upon biblical accounts? The former seems improbable and the latter, well is inconclusive.

They base their finding on science as well as the bible.

Example: Scientists say that every year the salt levels are increasing at a constant rate. If the Earth is billions of years old, then there would be so much salt in the ocean that we could walk across it.

NASA Scientists were very worried about the first mission to the moon because they believed that since the Earth and moon were so old that the cosmic dust on the moon would be 54 feet thick. That is why the first lunar lander had huge landing saucers on the legs. What do you know, when we landed we only found one eighth to three inches of dust.

Land and erosion are other things that help prove the Earth is very young. Scientists claim it takes a Stalactite("dripstone") one hundred thousand years to grow just an inch or two. While Stalactite growth has been measured at the Lincoln Memorial and has grown five feet in less than 50 years.

Giant Redwood trees are some of the oldest living trees on Earth. Scientists say they are capable of living thousands of years longer. Why can't we find any living for longer than 5000 years old?

There are many more things that show that Earth is young. I have a book on some of these things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 26th, 2007, 6:05 pm 

zero_chaos wrote:
Example: Scientists say that every year the salt levels are increasing at a constant rate. If the Earth is billions of years old, then there would be so much salt in the ocean that we could walk across it.

which salt levels?

Quote:
NASA Scientists were very worried about the first mission to the moon because they believed that since the Earth and moon were so old that the cosmic dust on the moon would be 54 feet thick. That is why the first lunar lander had huge landing saucers on the legs. What do you know, when we landed we only found one eighth to three inches of dust.

isn't that following the same patternt that the old philosophers were saying about the earth being flat and we now know that its round? or how about all the magical reasons of getting sick before people found out about bacteria and viruses? what we know with today's proof will be quite different with the findings of tomorrow.

Quote:
Land and erosion are other things that help prove the Earth is very young. Scientists claim it takes a Stalactite("dripstone") one hundred thousand years to grow just an inch or two. While Stalactite growth has been measured at the Lincoln Memorial and has grown five feet in less than 50 years.

some scientists claim i belive, it has to do with the amount of minerals there are in the dripping water. therefore different areas with different concentration will have a different ratio of growth.

Quote:
Giant Redwood trees are some of the oldest living trees on Earth. Scientists say they are capable of living thousands of years longer. Why can't we find any living for longer than 5000 years old?

the oldest known one is about 3200 years of age, the fact that you have to physically cut the tree down, thereby severly reducing its chance of survival to the bare minimum kinda makes it hard to say for certain that they can live to be over 10000 years of age or just 5000. ofcourse, in controled conditions, who's to say that a giant redwood can't grow to be over 10000 years of age?

I think its an interesting thesis they have, but its kind of like a propaganda film, bring in the extremist of whatever view you are against, cut out what you don't like, bring in your own views, depict yourself as a saint and bask in the glory. and the fun thing that every group of people will have some little batch of them who does it. I mean the fact that the earth was flat and the church brought it on was apparently propaganda by a group of early scientists.

as of today, who knows which of those two were right or wrong, as is allways, history is written by the victor.

#1 Chloe fanatic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 26th, 2007, 6:29 pm 
Resident Scholar

Dark One wrote:
what we know with today's proof will be quite different with the findings of tomorrow.

Well said!
I couldn't have put any better.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 75  Next