Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 18th, 2017, 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 75  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: January 18th, 2008, 8:55 pm 

Phew... finished! 8) 6 o clock this morning I stayed up to but I'm finished, making this a record. Three days for the first draft :shock: (and that's with a whole lot of other commitments to attend to in between. :roll: ).

Great... never do that again. lol Though, the script (SOMEHOW) actually didn't turn out too bad. :wink:

Of course I've gotta rewrite it for Monday so I can send it to the director in LA.

Quote:
How long does this have to be?

The general rule of thumb is one page roughly equals one minute of screentime (e.g-90 pages = 90 minute movie, 120 pages = 2 hours). That said scripts are most commonly in the range of 90-110 pages, depending on the genre.

In my case it was a Sci-Fi/Horror, so I finished with 96 pages total, though who knows what'll get added with the rewrites. :roll:

Quote:
Btw, I'm not very familiar with this kind of jobs, when someone wants a script for something, does the person ask several writers to do something, and then pick what he likes best, or does the person pick a writer for a job like that?

Depends. If you're a proven success then you have meetings with people who want to work with you. Usually you don't want anything more than 2 writers working on a script since it kinda goes downhill due to trial by jury.

In the case of someone unproven (not produced), like me, I have to rely on my industry contacts, referals, and script contests to get me in the door.

It just so happened, in my case, that a director was looking for a horror script, now holding a 6 million dollar budget. However, since there's a writer strike going on, it's hard to find PROVEN people.

He therefore asked the head of Shriekfest (a big mid-level horror festival) if they knew any finalists (me) who could send loglines (25 word synopsis).

The email was forwarded to me and, using it as a referral, I sent the director a letter regarding three scripts with a horror twist (one of them actually finished, one a lengthy outline, or treatment as they call it, and one I was "writing" -- e.g.-had yet to write).

Of course he was most interested in the one I was "writing" and wanted me to send it ASAP! :shock:

Not wanting to miss this opportunity I sat down and set a three day time limit to write first draft, telling him I'll send it Monday.

I've finished now and sent it to copyright office. I've gotta rewrite for Monday when I can send it off and see if he's willing to make it.

If he is, I'm in. 8)

Quote:
A script? Within a week? For a whole movie? From scrap?
I know you're good, but it sounds so damn impossible!

It is. Never again. lol

Currently looking over the script for typos. Gonna go finish up LeChevelair in a sec. Good show! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 18th, 2008, 10:46 pm 
Regular

So, can you tell us what the script is about?

Dr. Insane-o

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 19th, 2008, 5:52 pm 
Resident Scholar

AMDS wrote:
since there's a writer strike going on, it's hard to find PROVEN people.

:lol:
I can imagine you in 70 years writing your memoirs and stating:
"That famous writer strike of 2007/2008 that worried everyone in the industry was actually the incident that helped me the greatest with my breakthrough."

Why are they on strike anyway?
Low pay?

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 19th, 2008, 6:01 pm 
Regular

there's a number of reasons, but the one that is getting the most attention is that writer's don't get paid for work that get's put up on the internet (for example, let's say an episode of "Heroes" was watched online, NBC keeps all the cash made from the advertisements that a viewer watches, but the writers don't get a cent).

Dr. Insane-o

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2008, 2:21 am 

Yeah, the Director's Guild can make an agreement in two days, and the Producers can't even give the writers a little more money.

Damn you AMPTP!

What am I doing right now...Watching Letterman now and soon going to sleep. I have to wake up early tomorrow for school. >.<

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2008, 6:54 pm 
Resident Scholar

A friend celebrated his birthday, low-budget in the early evening, I just came back.
Oh hell, I ate four plates of cheese noodles and two slices of pizza and I feel much like a stranded whale now...

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 23rd, 2008, 5:19 pm 

Cab329 wrote:
So, can you tell us what the script is about?

A man must help his daughter escape a society that kills all who are not "beautiful."

42317 wrote:
Why are they on strike anyway?
Low pay?

In '89, when the last strike took place, the settlement included that the producers would pay the writers .3 % (or 3 cents) for every product sold via "direct-to-consumer" release.

At the time the video market was very much a small time market, with DVDs and the internet as we know it still on the horizon.

Now, 19 years later, writers are still making 3 cents for every dollar made, despite the rapid growth of the home-video industry (Which is now making the movie industry nearly FOUR TIMES what it pulls in at the global box office).

The WGA (Writers Guild of America) requested the AMPTP (Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers) to raise the standard from 3 cents on every dollar to 6 cents.

The producers refused and the writer's went on strike.

The big issue is that, contrary to popular belief, writers are among the lowest paid in the industry, with half always unemployed, and the other half making a collective medium average income of about $60,000.

As a result of a lack of steady jobs, most writers rely on residuals to get by. Unfortunately, the producers and most of the industry treats writers as 5th class citizens, often rewriting whatever the writers submit to TV studios or scripts for motion pictures.

In fact the entire industry pays the SAG and the DGA enormous sums of money on average compared to what the WGA workers make.

This is the result of a general industry-wide misconception that they really don't need writers to make money (e.g.-big explosions, sex scenes, http://www.newsgroper.com/brett-ratner/ ... 6/writers/).

As a result the AMPTP has refused to give in to any demands and the strike has so far cancelled the Golden Globes and may very well cause the cancellation of the Academy Awards.

Oh... also the industry has so far lost $1.5 billion. lol

What a joke!

But hey, who need's writers. :roll:

THIS'LL EXPLAIN WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ55Ir2jCxk

Oh... watching Kanon right now. Don't know what to make of it, but interesting none-the-less. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 23rd, 2008, 5:38 pm 
Resident Scholar

AMDS wrote:
A man must help his daughter escape a society that kills all who are not "beautiful."

I can't put my finger on it, but it doesn't sound terrible new... :?:

AMDS wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ55Ir2jCxk

Okay, now I know what's cookin'.

Anyways, it's amazing that under "Related Videos" I find three of my subscriptions,
Ask a Ninja
The Guild and
Two Hot Girls in the Shower.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 23rd, 2008, 7:24 pm 

AMDS wrote:

Reminds me of that book, "The Uglies" I think it was called.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 24th, 2008, 10:03 am 

zero_chaos wrote:
AMDS wrote:

Reminds me of that book, "The Uglies" I think it was called.

All I had was the concept. I mentioned it to my sister who mentioned she was reading "the Uglies" I asked what THAT story was about.

Spoiler
The Uglies, Pretties and Specials (the three part triology you're referring to) uses the concept under the premise that people have the OPTION on their 16th birthday to become among the pretties. However, this is done as a way to mind drone control the population from what I'm told and have read spoilers on. Also, in THAT series, people can gain special inanimable powers beyond basic human ability.

This thankfully was no where in the ballpark to what I did. 8)

The only thing that the two stories (my script and this trilogy) share is that there is some sort of a seperation between pretty and ugly people (except that in mine, those that don't meet the standard are forced into beauty houses where they're ground up into beauty pills).

But, yeah, it's one of those things that make you say, "Hasn't this been done?" :roll:

Watching Kino's Journey and trying to figure out why some people call her Ms. and some call her Mr. :shock:

Did I miss a key point or something?! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 24th, 2008, 6:15 pm 

Yeah, someone in my class gave "The Uglies" book report once. So I really don't know much.

Sitting on the couch bored and tired. I need a job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 24th, 2008, 7:29 pm 
Resident Scholar

I've not had a really good day. There's an antiquity fair in Luxemburg and our rug shop is present, so it's been packing and preparing and building and hammering and decorating for days with the first climax today, starting at 0700, ending at 1800.
I'm flat beat and feel like shit.

And whenever I'm alone (my girlfriend is working tonight) and exhausted, I'm feeling melancholic, which leads to to thinking about what a heap of crap most of my life has been. I'll feel better once I've slept for 8 hours, but before that I need to ask the question which way there is to escape procrastination and a general lack of motivation, which are the sources of the evil that plagues me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 24th, 2008, 11:07 pm 
Regular

Hmm...to escape procrastination and lack of motivation...if I knew a definete answer, I could write a book, make millions and live out my days on a haunted yacht which would float outside of Maine.

Bad joke aside, your best bet is to write out every detail of your life that you can remember (take your time and write anything and everything no matter how painful or trivial). Make sure to include any worries, dreams/goals (once again, no matter how trivial or painful), or thoughts about people you know. Once you have done this, take a day off and read through what you wrote (make sure NOTHING INTERRUPTS YOU (leave your house if necessary)). As you do, meditate on each item and then meditate. As you meditate, let your thoughts flow freely, but analyze them and if any negative thoughts emerge, think about why they are negative, and then try and combat them with logic. Now, don't focus on your procrastination or low motivation, if all goes well, you'll find it easier to accomplish tasks.

Of course, it's possible that you just need a change of routine. Try to do something that you normally would'nt do each day. For instance, go to a restaurant you've never heard of and order something you normally would'nt eat, play with Legos in front of someone, go up on open mic night at a club, play DDR in a costume etc.
Also, working out for even thirty minutes a day can greatly increase energy for other tasks (getting the blood pumping can make your body feel like it needs to do something). Get the adrenaline pumping!

Dr. Insane-o

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 24th, 2008, 11:51 pm 
Post Master

I hate procrastination. It's making me do terrible in school. The only subject I can get a B in is in math, since its purely logical and doesn't require any creativity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 25th, 2008, 9:26 am 
Resident Scholar

Cab329 wrote:
your best bet is to write out every detail of your life that you can remember

Which is to say: hardcore self-reflection.
Doesn't sound bad. I had this idea of writing down my life for some years, but I never found an occasion. Would take me some time, too. Won't be done in a day or two, since I use to write diligently.

Mmsven wrote:
The only subject I can get a B in is in math, since its purely logical and doesn't require any creativity.

That's funny, I always had E's and F's in math because it was purely logical and left no space for creativity. I hate numbers, they are cold and impersonal and hardly have connotational value. I like words because they form shapes of my own liking.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 75  Next