Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 18th, 2017, 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Going to a anime convention?
PostPosted: May 31st, 2007, 3:28 pm 

Well, this weekend is A-kon in Dallas, Texas, and it's my annual kon that I go to so I'll see you guys next week =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2007, 6:50 pm 

Jeez. When the hell do they have these conventions here in New York. They've had them on the West Coast, Canada, Japan (of course) and now in Dallas, Texas, but I've never seen it held in New York.

It seems to me they should have one if one doesn't exist in the areas. Does anyone know anything more?

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2007, 9:40 pm 
Major Contributor

Damn, I forgot about A-kon this year. Was too busy looking for an apartment. Bah . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 4th, 2007, 3:08 am 

Yup, back now, pretty fun, probably gonna post pictures later this week =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 5th, 2007, 1:50 pm 

But, that doesn't answer my question! lol It's ok. I found ONE at this site:

http://www.fansview.com/consked.htm

It seems that most of the festivals are held either in California or Pennsylvania. I can understand the former, but it's quite beyond me why New York isn't the center on the East coast. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 5th, 2007, 3:04 pm 
Major Contributor

AMDS wrote:
But, that doesn't answer my question! lol It's ok. I found ONE at this site:

http://www.fansview.com/consked.htm

It seems that most of the festivals are held either in California or Pennsylvania. I can understand the former, but it's quite beyond me why New York isn't the center on the East coast. :?

Well choosing a location for an anime convention has a lot of factors involved, not the least of which is how much its going to cost to rent the space needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 5th, 2007, 4:46 pm 

Yeah, creating a convention is a lot of work, and most of the time, lots of money is involved. It just depends on the organizers and such on where cons should be held. There were some in New York, but most of the anime companies are on the West Coast or in Texas, so making anime conventions closer to their offices is great for them. The real big east coast event is Otakon, which is in Baltimore, and most people see that as the closest thing to NYC, without being in New York =) The West Coast has AX (Anime eXpo) which is in L.A and that's also the biggest anime convention I believe. Since Otakon is so big, I think most organizers don't want to deal with anime conventions because there's a lot of stress involve with a con, and most anime conventions won't want to waste more resources on like 10 cons, but mostly on the big 2.

Texas has alot of cons, most of them are small compared to the west and east coast, but the biggest one is in Dallas, which was A-kon. I believe that the big cons are regional things, and AX takes care of the west, Otakon takes care of the East, and A-kon takes care of the South. I don't really know of a North region Anime convention that's as big as those 3, but someone can prove me wrong. :wink:

But to answer your question AMDS, it takes work to create a con, and probably no one wants to make a anime convention in New York. Otakon has taken care of the Northeastern need for anime conventions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 6th, 2007, 4:40 am 
Major Contributor

The cost of holding an anime convention in New York City would more likely be several times more than even the cost of holding it in a city like Baltimore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 25th, 2007, 11:45 am 
Newcomer

you guys are lucky, here in norway i doubt there is any anime convetion. Only chain store with anime stuff is Outland :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 25th, 2007, 12:37 pm 

Raven-A wrote:
you guys are lucky, here in norway i doubt there is any anime convetion. Only chain store with anime stuff is Outland :cry:

depends where you are. there was one a while back in Oslo, don't know how many years its been now, at least a couple. there also was some big comic convo in... i think it was kristiansand, not too sure, and yes this also goes back some years.

#1 Chloe fanatic.