Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 11th, 2017, 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: The official NEWS Thread
PostPosted: February 10th, 2010, 5:21 pm 
Resident Scholar

Higashi no Eden and Dennô Coil are coming to you and me:
A German newspaper - Rhein-Zeitung - has begun to work with augmented reality (sorry, German only! The link is just for reference.).

This means that their print issue contains coded areas which allow you to e.g. see the paper's mascot buzz about the page if you watch the paper with a webcam, or a cell phone camera, given that the same camera has an internet connection. They are also using this still rather experimental technology to let little goblins ("Heinzelmännchen", i.e. "benevolent elves"? "brownies"??) appear in local streets - if you have the technical means to spot them. It's still small-scale, but it's there and I promise that in a few years we will not only have cyberpets after the internet has invaded the outer world - with the advance of 3D graphics, compare Cameron's Avatar, and developments in Artificial Intelligence, we will one day meet people who are not really there. Or real people who actually go online thousands of miles away.

In the same context they mention identification tools. Suppose you are a member of an online social network: Via your cell phone camera you could identify other, random, people in the street if they are also part of said social network and have posted enough pictures to allow their identification (security technology that's already being used), and, of course, with the user's name would come along all the information from his public profile.

Again we see great possibilities and the dark abyss of abuse, it is sort of creepy imho, but I'm so waiting for things like that to become common-place.

PostPosted: February 11th, 2010, 6:40 pm 
Resident Scholar

Pretty funny but still official news:

The Vancouver Mascot?!? OMFG!!!! :lol:

PostPosted: February 15th, 2010, 8:34 pm 

42317 wrote:
Pretty funny but still official news:

The Vancouver Mascot?!? OMFG!!!! :lol:

I laughed really hard when I read that. I guess someone in the newspaper had a good sense of humor. They can't be that naive.

PostPosted: February 16th, 2010, 2:36 pm 
Resident Scholar

wolfwood wrote:
I laughed really hard when I read that. I guess someone in the newspaper had a good sense of humor. They can't be that naive.

I dunno about the rest of the world, but Germany features a small number of blogs that focus on sloppy research and misinformation of (German language) newspapers. There's always a shitload of crap going on, so to speak.

For example there is this (PDF) article by a Dr. Aaron Sell. In it, he basically claims that people with more physical strength or people who simply look good were more likely to become upset quicker than normal people because it was easier for them, given the impression they make, to gain an advantage from the target of their mood - a sort of accumulated experience over generations of human lives, now engrained in the evolutionary legacy of the human psyche. (On a sidenote, this might finally explain why people who have only seen me briefly think I had a short fuse - I am the muscular type.)
The Sunday Times, London/UK, got wind of this article first and interpreted it in a totally wrong way, entitleing the story
"Blonde women born to be warrior princesses",
although the word "blonde" doesn't even appear in Dr. Sell's essay, prompting him to write a letter to the editor.
Many papers, among them German newspapers, took a brief look at the Times and just wrote what they had written without further evaluation or verification, with the result that headlines such as
"Blondes are more aggressive and more successful!"
"Advantage: Blonde" or
"Don't mess with a Blonde!"
appeared, which had no whatsoever credible basis.
It seems to be an ailing of modern journalism that, in order to be the first to publish the hot news, work ethics are being thrown overboard and editors just write what they are being presented with without questioning the actual credibility of the information or its source.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2010, 12:46 pm 
Major Contributor

Do you believe in miracles? Because after reading this, i surely do. I'm truly happy for them!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/lt_argentina ... r_children

PostPosted: February 25th, 2010, 1:57 pm 
Resident Scholar

G-Core wrote:
Do you believe in miracles? Because after reading this, i surely do. I'm truly happy for them!

"To have your identity is the most beautiful thing there is." he says.
While it's nice to have found his real father who told him his original name and a place to really belong to, his identity is something that is made up by his life experience as a whole and his social surroundings. We do not have a per se identity since it depends on a multitude of impressions and perceptions. To say you have found a new identity would actually mean you start being a completely different person.
Just my two cents.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2010, 4:32 pm 
Major Contributor

I know but he also said that he always felt that he never truly belonged with the adopted family. That could be intuition developed from a young age, and he got his intuition confirmed by the reunion with his real dad. I'm sure he'll have a much better life with him, considering how cruel the adopted father was and all the bad stuff he committed and did his time for.

One could say that all his life, he had identity issues in terms of feeling like he wasn't who he was taught he was and in that moment where he saw his real father for the first time, his confusions about who he really was were all lifted from any trouble that issue may have done on his soul.

PostPosted: March 4th, 2010, 6:44 pm 
Regular

i am going to have to go with g-core on this one.
the context in the story is how one identifies oneself.

PostPosted: March 10th, 2010, 5:03 pm 
Major Contributor

I'm sure everybody's heard this by now. When i first read it this morning, i was a little shocked but not too suprised that something like this happened. Wonder if he and Feldman managed to make peace before his untimely passing and whether or not the Feldmeister is invited to the funeral...

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/corey-haim-di ... 8/37186?nc

PostPosted: March 10th, 2010, 9:07 pm 
Major Contributor

G-Core wrote:
I'm sure everybody's heard this by now. When i first read it this morning, i was a little shocked but not too suprised that something like this happened. Wonder if he and Feldman managed to make peace before his untimely passing and whether or not the Feldmeister is invited to the funeral...

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/corey-haim-di ... 8/37186?nc

:cry:
I don't think I've seen too many of his movies; I've got my Silver Bullet and The Lost Boys DVDs right here next to me, with the intent of watching at least one of them (though more likely both) tonight. Total bullshit that he's gone though. The sad thing is it sounds like the very thing that kept him from being a bigger star than he was is the very thing that eventually took him away.

PostPosted: March 11th, 2010, 3:36 pm 
Resident Scholar

Corey Haim, eh? Before reading the news of his death this morning I had never ever heard that name before... saw Lost Boys, though (which I personally found insignificant, but that's just my opinion).

PostPosted: March 11th, 2010, 9:37 pm 
Major Contributor

he had a smaller role in The Lost Boys (as the main character's little brother) than in Silver Bullet (where the story was pretty much centered around Haim's wheelchair-bound character and his encounter with a werewolf). ended up watching Silver Bullet instead last night, but i feel The Lost Boys was a good film as well.

PostPosted: March 14th, 2010, 7:09 pm 

42317 wrote:
Corey Haim, eh? Before reading the news of his death this morning I had never ever heard that name before... saw Lost Boys, though (which I personally found insignificant, but that's just my opinion).

I share your opinion. I have heard his name being thrown around but seeing his death on the news was the first time of me seeing his face. And personally he seemed like a real jerk.

PostPosted: March 15th, 2010, 7:07 pm 
Resident Scholar

zero_chaos wrote:
I have heard his name being thrown around but seeing his death on the news was the first time of me seeing his face. And personally he seemed like a real jerk.

Isn't that a bit harsh, judging by his face? :sweat:

PostPosted: March 15th, 2010, 7:14 pm 
Major Contributor

I always thought Feldman was the jerk... :sweat: I mean, he was unbearable on The Surreal Life, constantly whining and doing stupid things all because he doesn't eat fish. Just about the only times he wasn't being a douche about things was when he was getting preparations underway to marry his now ex-wife Susie. If she broke things off with him due to him continuing to be whiny, i don't blame her. Now he's saying that lots of people weren't there for Haim in his time of need, you wanna keep blaming everyone else about your friend's death but did YOU do something for him while he was taking care of his sick mom and living in poor conditions?! You could've provided him and his mom some room at your house and maybe that would've prevented Haim from taking the huge fall back into drugs so i think Feldman should get off his high horse.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next