Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 15th, 2017, 8:46 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Which makes the better protector of peace and upholder of the law?
Highly developed mechanical units 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Genetically engineered organic units 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
Something else that just came to my mind 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 4
 Post subject: How to rule the universe?
PostPosted: May 1st, 2011, 8:26 am 
Resident Scholar

Yesterday I went shopping, and unlike people in Japan or the US I use to walk the 2.5 miles there and back again. It gives me time to think about stuff.
So I was thinking:

Suppose you are a galactic ruler. Not necessarily evil, but pragmatic to say the least.
Your empire has been built by the revolutionary impetus of the people who drove the regional governments away to end all internal strife and unite under a single flag.
Since then routine has taken over and your army has turned into a police force of sorts. But with no hostile forces in sight to keep up discipline against an alien enemy morale has gone down and corruption has gone up.
In order to restore discipline and morale you decide to replace your forces by more dedicated and professional troops.

You are then approached by two sales representatives. One is offering androids with highly developed AI and fully human-like motor capabilities, while the other is proposing humanoid organic units, genetically engineered to your very needs down to the last braincell to ensure incorruptibility and allegiance.

Ha! you say, bring me a dozen prototypes in full gear each and we'll have them duke it out!
But eventually the tournament ends in a draw and the sales representatives await your decision:

Which will you choose and why?

Coolness is not an acceptable decision factor. :P2:
The poll runs forever and allows re-voting in case anyone finds a good reason to reconsider his/her choice.

Post subject: Re: How to rule the universe?
PostPosted: May 1st, 2011, 1:45 pm 
Major Contributor

I would have to choose genetically designed organic units. As far as i know, they are 100 percent obedient and take any order without questioning it unlike the former which could get smart enough to the point where it may wonder why it has to take orders from the ruler. No one wants a system that has any degree of doubt involved, however small the doubt may be. The system must be perfect without any element of flaw and though we may be dependent on machines to survive, unpredictability is a strong fear projector in the mind of the kingdom therefore something that isn't likely to turn back and attack us is a safer option.

PostPosted: May 1st, 2011, 6:16 pm 
Post Master

I'd go with the machines since they don't rot away.

PostPosted: May 4th, 2011, 7:07 am 
Resident Scholar

G-Core wrote:
I would have to choose genetically designed organic units. As far as i know, they are 100 percent obedient...

Sounds like you already met a few. :P2:

G-Core wrote:
and take any order without questioning it

But unquestioning obedience is very often inflexible and thus a liability. Every trooper must have the liberty to decide what to do in any individual situation, deciding on the spot. There's not always time to request updated orders before taking action.

G-Core wrote:
The system must be perfect without any element of flaw

Perfection is a myth I dare say. There's always the need for compromise.

Mmsven wrote:
I'd go with the machines since they don't rot away.

Good point, organic units do probably age. But mechanical units need spareparts.
What is true - I guess - is that injured organic units need not just medical care (like mechanical units need repair) but also recuperation time. An android can just walk away from the stretcher and is immediately operational.

You might also think that organic units need a pension fund whereas androids can simply be shreddered and recycled - but I don't think it's that easy, because this leads to the discussion wether an Android with highly developed individual AI should be considered "alive" and given "human rights".

PostPosted: September 28th, 2011, 9:10 pm 
Major Contributor

Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
I would use an army of Borg/Zerg-like creatures that would assimilate/annihilate anything that resists, but I have total control over them and they'll only obey me. Either that or force every being in the universe to watch the worst movies in existence! That's the Dr. Clayton Forrester method of galactic domination btw. Most likely I'll use both methods because I feel like it.

There's no order restorers like a Hive Mind and B-Movies, baby! 8)