Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 11th, 2017, 5:48 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Ranking System
PostPosted: April 2nd, 2009, 1:42 am 

Yeah, but you also don't want people randomly spamming to "rise in rank." (not citing anyone in particular here) :P

The picture thing is a thought. Although, what would that imply for what is available to users as their pics? Would that mean that all the people at 300 posts would have the same avatar? Am I getting this wrong? Anybody, please explain. :roll:

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2009, 2:42 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
The image would effectively change for each new rank someone achieved. Thus the image would somehow correspond to that rank, in some why. I've added an image so people can see what it would basically look like. There's no way around having the text, it has to be there (you can't just have the text on the image and be done with it).

It certainly gives it a bit more flair than just having the text there, but I'm sort of on the fence about the end result with double stacked images. I dunno, lemme know your thoughts. (Would probably look better if it wasn't exactly like the image before it in basic shape.)

Hopefully people wouldn't resort to spamming as a way to increase their rank. It would be pretty hard on here at the moment, they'd just be talking with themselves half the time! :lol: (And with that, fairly obvious what their intentions are.)

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2009, 2:41 pm 

Sounds good. I like the image idea. Would there be one image? A choice of images? :D Put to a vote to decide? :roll:

Acmurphy wrote:
Hopefully people wouldn't resort to spamming as a way to increase their rank. It would be pretty hard on here at the moment, they'd just be talking with themselves half the time! :lol: (And with that, fairly obvious what their intentions are.)

Yes, well the site is, as you say sort of up-and-coming still (at least in the reboot). :wink: As for spammers, their e-vile ways will be kept to a minimum, or else invoke... :evil: the wrath. :twisted: :P

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2009, 5:44 pm 
Resident Scholar

Fresnokila wrote:
So a mini banner like picture with the title on it?
Like Anime Master with Spike from Cowboy Bepop in it...or a Vegeta from DBZ?

I don't find the idea with the extra picture to emphasize a rank all too sexy. One picture - the avatar - is all I need, and anything more is confusing and overburdened imho.
"Wise Sage Wolf"?? Oh, please... :lol:

As for my rank and title proposals:

0 - 49 posts: "Newcomer"
50 - 99 posts: "Forum Lurker"
100 - 299 posts: "Junior Member"
300 - 599 posts: "Regular"
600 - 999 posts: "Senior Member"
1000 - 1499 posts: "Major Contributor"
1500 - 1999 posts: "Post Master"
2000+: "Resident..." (add denotation of choice)

The ranks I propose are rather neutral. I oppose narrow terms like "Anime Crazed" because they're too special. Not everone who joins our forum is "crazy about Anime", and I guess that not everybody would be happy to be titled as such because it implies a certain fanaticism in terms of fandom that most fans lack, especially in a rather sober and mature community such as ours. And as I said, this forum is about more than just Anime and Manga. Anything can be discussed, and despite our pretty one-sided "What are you reading now?" thread :lol: discussions do not quickly return to animated topics. The average intellect around here is high enough to allow for a multitude of topics. Maybe with the exception of a certain person who thinks that rickrolling is still funny after the second time. :wink:

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2009, 6:56 pm 
Resident Admin

AMDS wrote:
Sounds good. I like the image idea. Would there be one image? A choice of images? :D Put to a vote to decide? :roll:

There would effectively be one image that goes along with each rank, if we decide to use images. If we do a final level where you can pick your own rank you could also pick your own image. We would need to decide on the images for each rank however, whether through a vote or discussion. Still not sure about images though. Maybe we'll just use the titles for a while and then introduce images at a later date when a mod comes out that changes them up a bit.

42317 wrote:
"Wise Sage Wolf"?? Oh, please... :lol:

But of course, she is the Wise Sage Wolf Horo after all :mrgreen:

42317 wrote:
I don't find the idea with the extra picture to emphasize a rank all too sexy.

That's sort of how I feel atm, but I need to look over some of the rank mods to see if any of them modify how it shows up, etc.

I sort of like where you've gone with the rank titles. Those seem like they would work well enough. We can always change them later if we decide on something different.

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2009, 2:15 am 

Ha seeing 2 images...well seeing 2 avatars doesn't look good...it's actually annoying...I thought it would be a thin like banner...like this...

Of course better than this quickly random example...or a bit thinner..ha...so it won't distract from the main avatar :lol2:

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2009, 3:25 am 
Resident Admin

Fresnokila wrote:
Ha seeing 2 images...well seeing 2 avatars doesn't look good...it's actually annoying...I thought it would be a thin like banner...like this...

Of course better than this quickly random example...or a bit thinner..ha...so it won't distract from the main avatar :lol2:

Well it can be as thin as we want it to be, there is no set minimum for it. However, as I said I can't post the image without the words, so having newcomer on the image would be repeated above it as well. Which would be redundant.

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2009, 11:53 am 

That kind of sucks...ha..it kind of looks cooler within the pic...hmm...

Than since you don't want stars...how 'bout the image being something getting filled...as if this was a vampire forum it would be getting filled with blood the more you post...changing your title as it goes :lol2:

That is an example of course...

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2009, 4:00 pm 
Resident Scholar

Fresnokila wrote:
Than since you don't want stars...how 'bout the image being something getting filled...as if this was a vampire forum it would be getting filled with blood the more you post...changing your title as it goes

Whatever it is, quit smoking it. :lol:
BRS we didn't have stars either... it was a row of tiny squares below the avatar which were filled with blue color one after another as you advanced in ranks.

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2009, 10:01 pm 
Major Contributor

Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
I say instead of "Newcomers" it should be "Fresh Meat", cuz that's what they are essentially. Mwahahahahaha! :twisted: j/k

PostPosted: April 4th, 2009, 4:53 am 

42317 wrote:
Whatever it is, quit smoking it. :lol:
BRS we didn't have stars either... it was a row of tiny squares below the avatar which were filled with blue color one after another as you advanced in ranks.

*Throws it away*

Ha I'm refering to the pic...it doesn't have to be exactly an anime pic...it could be a pic filling up as you go up a rank..ha...and I know we had squares...but its the same as stars or circles...etc....I wanted to see something different along those lines :lol2:

Or

*Lights another one*

Or maybe I need visuals to make the point clearer :gatsu:
I'll have to connect my other hard drive which has Photoshop...

PostPosted: April 4th, 2009, 2:12 pm 
Resident Scholar

Fresnokila wrote:
I'm refering to the pic...it doesn't have to be exactly an anime pic...it could be a pic filling up as you go up a rank

Ah, you mean like "the pic has a height of 60 pixels and whenever you climb a rank 10 more of these pixel lines will change color."
That would indeed be something new, but I dunno whether it's gonna be such a hit. The human mind likes countable things as a measurement of success.
What we could do is link certain ranks to certain colors, which will then make up the background of the respective pictures.

Still, I'm not a friend of having yet another picture in the avatar field.

PostPosted: April 5th, 2009, 10:01 am 
Resident Scholar

I am surprised to see that my rank system has been accepted. Thanks a lot.
I actually thought it was too sober to be found agreeable... obviously we're even more sober and mature than I had expected. :lol:

PostPosted: April 6th, 2009, 5:56 am 
Resident Admin

42317 wrote:
I am surprised to see that my rank system has been accepted. Thanks a lot.
I actually thought it was too sober to be found agreeable... obviously we're even more sober and mature than I had expected. :lol:

Thank you for going to the trouble of coming up with the whole ranking system :mrgreen:

We may still do some sort of something else, either with a bar that fills up or stars, idk. I think it wouldn't look so odd as long as it was below the avatar and not above it, which made the whole dichotomy of size askew (having the larger image below the smaller). Those are thoughts for another day however, for the ranking system now works and is competently done. We'll save the true carziness for when people pick their own titles :lol:

PostPosted: April 11th, 2009, 3:42 pm 

Acmurphy wrote:
Thank you for going to the trouble of coming up with the whole ranking system :mrgreen:

No problem. :wink: I actually think some of the names are hilarious: "lurker" (there were some lurkers as you might call them on the old boards now that I recall).

42317 is our resident scholar. :D I wonder if that means we can apply for federal aid, and declare ourselves as a "place of learning." Heaven forbid he takes a sabbatical, though. :shock: No more endowment. :P

Honestly though, I just read an article that said that there's a university in England giving out a Masters in "Beatles Studies." Why not a Certificate in Anime Studies from Animetric Institute of Cultural Learning. :mrgreen: