Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 12th, 2017, 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Improvement suggestions concerning the forum
PostPosted: October 30th, 2008, 1:35 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Gojira wrote:
Can Iz haz a title too? Pleeeeeeeease?
I would like to be referred to as "#1 Sucker For Fanservice!"

A title like that is really a reward. I think we can all agree, if there is anyone on here who deserves to have a title, it's 42317. In general, signatures are really the best place to put comments like that (like you have already done).

PostPosted: October 30th, 2008, 2:10 am 
Major Contributor

Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
Acmurphy wrote:
Gojira wrote:
I would like to be referred to as "#1 Sucker For Fanservice!"

A title like that is really a reward. I think we can all agree, if there is anyone on here who deserves to have a title, it's 42317. In general, signatures are really the best place to put comments like that (like you have already done).

Doh. Alright then. I just got a bit excited there, but it was a fair decision and I'll keep my title on my sig then. Sorry. :oops:

Instead, can you appoint me as a moderator? :P

Last edited by Gojira on October 30th, 2008, 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: October 30th, 2008, 4:14 pm 
Resident Scholar

Acmurphy wrote:
Let it be written, let it be done.

Thanks a lot. I'll do my best to live up to that honor! :D

Acmurphy wrote:
Gojira wrote:
A title like that is really a reward.

Why not introduce such honors to anyone who reaches 2000 posts? :|

PostPosted: October 30th, 2008, 7:40 pm 
Resident Admin

42317 wrote:
Acmurphy wrote:
A title like that is really a reward.

Why not introduce such honors to anyone who reaches 2000 posts? :|

I certainly can do something like that, but at the moment no one is really even close to reaching it so I have plenty of time before I decide on what I want to do or get an actual ranking system running.

PostPosted: October 30th, 2008, 9:11 pm 

Don't get too stressed with it. One of the things I love in this forum is the fact that everything's so stable. I can look for things to watch without having to check the older pages.
By the way, I'd like to help you guys with the blog. Since I'm not a fine reviewer myself (the sad fate of OKanimanga proved it) I'd like to do something which seems to suit me better: translations. What about translating the Animetric site into Spanish, or something similar?

PostPosted: October 31st, 2008, 8:23 am 
Resident Admin

Bloodfairy wrote:
One of the things I love in this forum is the fact that everything's so stable. I can look for things to watch without having to check the older pages.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean... You don't have to check the older pages?

Bloodfairy wrote:
By the way, I'd like to help you guys with the blog. Since I'm not a fine reviewer myself (the sad fate of OKanimanga proved it) I'd like to do something which seems to suit me better: translations. What about translating the Animetric site into Spanish, or something similar?

What happened to OKanimanga??? It looks like you decided to stop writing your reviews, but I'm not clear on what happened :cry: Whatever it was, you shouldn't think it reflects negatively on your reviews. It may just be that no one knew about you :( (Sadly I can't read any of them :()

And :shock: Well let me just thank you for the very generous offer to start. I mean, ya I would love to have the site in Spanish too, but that's a lot of work! If you're interested in doing something like that, or for the site in general, please feel free to drop me a PM and we can talk about it more there. I'm still sort of stunned at the moment, your offer is just too much... I feel unworthy! :bow:

PostPosted: October 31st, 2008, 12:00 pm 
Major Contributor

Acmurphy wrote:
Bloodfairy wrote:

What happened to OKanimanga??? It looks like you decided to stop writing your reviews, but I'm not clear on what happened :cry: Whatever it was, you shouldn't think it reflects negatively on your reviews. It may just be that no one knew about you :( (Sadly I can't read any of them :()

Actually, you can if you use Babel Fish. It automatically translates websites to your language and it works pretty good too.

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/

PostPosted: October 31st, 2008, 3:52 pm 
Resident Admin

Gojira wrote:
Actually, you can if you use Babel Fish. It automatically translates websites to your language and it works pretty good too.

I've never really trusted those translation websites. I mean, I know almost no Spanish at this point and would have absolutely no idea how well it was translating my pages, and the few times I have used it to translate text it has ended up pretty foul. (And by that I mean translating other languages into English, which typically gives me gibberish, though I usually do get the basic meaning) I wouldn't want to have my site in Spanish too, but have it be really awful for those Spaniards/Mexicans in general trying to read it :diss:

PostPosted: October 31st, 2008, 5:55 pm 
Resident Scholar

Bloodfairy wrote:
the sad fate of OKanimanga proved it

What's "OKanimanga"?

Bloodfairy wrote:
I'd like to do something which seems to suit me better: translations. What about translating the Animetric site into Spanish, or something similar?

You seem to have loads of time at your hands. I'm so envious.
But translating "the forum" into Spanish... what does that mean? Wouldn't that be, like, opening a completely new discussion board that is coincidentally going to be called "Animetric" - or "Ola! Animetrica"? :D

Gojira wrote:

You gotta be kidding... I'll tell you what Babelfish is good for:
A few years back some of my friends were involved in organizing a fan convention about Bishônen, and I helped out. Of course, fan fiction was a big topic, many of the visitors had written something themselves, but all of them were ardent readers of certain websites that offered tons and tons of fan fics, slippery fan fics. Originally it was planned to have writers read their stuff, but it seems they were all too shy, so nobody applied for the event. Instead, we took portions of these online texts, ran them through Babelfish, translating them into "German", and read them in an earnest tone to the audience. Everybody laughed their asses off, the show was a huge success.

And why is that?
Because Babelfish is nothing but a parser program. It meddles with the sentence structure and when it comes to ambiguous terms you're so lost. The program makes a wild guess and gives you a word it deems okay, without regard to the context - because the program cannot discern context.
E.g. if "someone is hiding beneath that log" you would immediately presume that there is a big piece of wood, maybe a fallen tree, that serves as a cover. But Babelfish usually interprets "log" as in "ship's log", you know, the book where the captain writes anything what happened.
Or "he came running inside, dropped flat on his bed, his chest moving up and down as he breathed heavily". You have a notion of what is going on, a picture in your mind. Not so Babelfish, which interprets "chest" as in "coffer", "crate", or "footlocker".

You may now understand my biased opinion as to why Babelfish is only good for comedic effects. It turns Robin Hood into Peter Blood and a sprinter into a kind of esper.

PostPosted: October 31st, 2008, 6:06 pm 

Okanimanga was my anime reviews blog. In fact, I closed it due to lack of time... I spend less time translating than watching anime and analysing it for a review.
And it is useful for me in order to learn English too ^^. I've learnt a lot while making Princess Code's Spanish version.

I meant "the site" (the reviews, mainly), not "the forum". Hell, if I had to translate you folks when you get slangy I would spend my whole life in Wordreference :P

PostPosted: October 31st, 2008, 9:18 pm 
Major Contributor

42317 wrote:
You gotta be kidding... I'll tell you what Babelfish is good for:
A few years back some of my friends were involved in organizing a fan convention about Bishônen, and I helped out. Of course, fan fiction was a big topic, many of the visitors had written something themselves, but all of them were ardent readers of certain websites that offered tons and tons of fan fics, slippery fan fics. Originally it was planned to have writers read their stuff, but it seems they were all too shy, so nobody applied for the event. Instead, we took portions of these online texts, ran them through Babelfish, translating them into "German", and read them in an earnest tone to the audience. Everybody laughed their asses off, the show was a huge success.

And why is that?
Because Babelfish is nothing but a parser program. It meddles with the sentence structure and when it comes to ambiguous terms you're so lost. The program makes a wild guess and gives you a word it deems okay, without regard to the context - because the program cannot discern context.

Well geez, I was trying to be helpful. :(
Plus, I don't any other good language translating programs out on the net that are free, of course.

PostPosted: October 31st, 2008, 10:18 pm 
Resident Admin

Gojira wrote:
Plus, I don't any other good language translating programs out on the net that are free, of course.

Don't worry yourself about it. We know you were trying to be helpful and we thank you for it!

PostPosted: November 1st, 2008, 7:30 pm 
Resident Scholar

Bloodfairy wrote:
I meant "the site" (the reviews, mainly), not "the forum". Hell, if I had to translate you folks when you get slangy I would spend my whole life in Wordreference :P

:lol:
Indeed. Translating the forum makes no sense... but I never implied the actual contents (since we're discussing on, the work would never stop), but the "frame work".
Still, the site sounds like much, too... all these reviews and stuff... :blink:
At least there is a huge potential consumer group on this planet, considering how many people speak a form of Spanish.

Gojira wrote:

I totally understand, I thank you for your good spirit. I didn't want to sound too harsh.
But instead of lazy software translation, how about real skills, blood, sweat, and tears? :D

PostPosted: November 1st, 2008, 9:54 pm 
Major Contributor

42317 wrote:
I totally understand, I thank you for your good spirit. I didn't want to sound too harsh.
But instead of lazy software translation, how about real skills, blood, sweat, and tears? :D

Oh, that's good. No problem. :)
I'll do it the hard way then I suppose. :lol:

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2008, 7:47 pm 
Resident Scholar

Question: What exactly do i need these tags for?

[code][/code]
    [list=][/list]
    [*]

What's their purpose in life? :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next