Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 14th, 2017, 5:38 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SORYAA!!!! *raises her sword* I greet you!
PostPosted: July 5th, 2008, 12:10 pm 

Hello!
I'm one so-called Bloodfairy, I come from Spain and I entered this forum after commiting a mistake which was gently solved by the Administrator^^.

I hope to have fun with you folks, and that you folks have fun with me.

Enjoy!

Post subject: Re: SORYAA!!!! *raises her sword* I greet you!
PostPosted: July 5th, 2008, 12:54 pm 

Hello!! Nice meeting you welcome to the forum.

PostPosted: July 5th, 2008, 1:15 pm 
Major Contributor

Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
Welcome to the forums Bloodfairy! For a moment I was wondering about your pink swastika avy, but until I've read your sig now I get it. You like pink swastikas! :lol:

PostPosted: July 5th, 2008, 1:33 pm 

Nah, i like swastikas as a whole. The Blade of the Inmortal is one of my favourites, aside of its many virtues, due to me being so appealed by swastikas ^^.

PostPosted: July 5th, 2008, 2:52 pm 
Post Master

I'm pretty sure any anime or manga would use the reverse swastika, unless specifically nazi-themed.

PostPosted: July 5th, 2008, 3:24 pm 
Major Contributor

Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
Mmsven wrote:
I'm pretty sure any anime or manga would use the reverse swastika, unless specifically nazi-themed.

The swastika is a religious symbol for major religions such as Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, and Native American traditions. It is also used as a design motif for Hindu architecture. Hitler incorporated the swastika to the Nazi flag as a symbol of creating, acting life and a race emblem of Germanism. But after WWII the swastika became a symbol of racial superiority and hatred in the Western World.

I remember seeing the reverse swastika in certain martial art films such as The Master of the Flying Guillotine when the blind Master of the Guillotine wore a robe with a reverse swastika embedded on it.

Last edited by Gojira on July 5th, 2008, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: July 5th, 2008, 3:27 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Welcome to the forum Bloodfairy! Glad we could finally get everything straightened out and you able to access the forum :mrgreen:

PostPosted: July 5th, 2008, 4:03 pm 
Post Master

Gojira wrote:
The swastika is a religious symbol for major religions such as Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, and Native American traditions. It is also used as a design motif for Hindu architecture. Hitler incorporated the swastika to the Nazi flag as a symbol of creating, acting life and a race emblem of Germanism. But after WWII the swastika became a symbol of racial superiority and hatred in the Western World.

I thought most of those religions used the reverse one, but I seem to be wrong after looking around

Gojira wrote:
I remember seeing the reverse swastika in certain martial art films such as The Master of the Flying Guillotine when the blind Master of the Guillotine wore a robe with a reverse swastika embedded on it.

The reverse swastika used to be used by the vikings from what I have gathered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Herb_Boreyko.jpg

PostPosted: July 5th, 2008, 10:55 pm 
Major Contributor

Welcome to the forum, Bloodfairy!

PostPosted: July 6th, 2008, 8:03 pm 
Resident Scholar

Bloodfairy raises a sword... you into WoW or what?
Well, that's just my guess.

So far, so funny.
But your avatar almost makes my ass explode in fury. :mad2:
I politely ask you to replace it with something without such grave historical implications... you know, genocide, dictatorship, political madness, racial hate, mass executions, total war, atrocities, terror bombings...

I will not question what you state in your signature, but it seems you're not taking the symbol seriously enough. I find it highly offensive. I don't know how Spain is handling her mass graves of the past, but I'm sure there are at least some people who'd give me strange looks when I tell them what a jolly guy General Franco had been.

Need to guess where I'm from? :shifty:

PostPosted: July 6th, 2008, 8:16 pm 

42317 wrote:
Bloodfairy raises a sword... you into WoW or what?
Well, that's just my guess.

So far, so funny.
I politely ask you to replace it with something... without such historical implications. I find it highly offensive.

Want to guess where I'm from? :shifty:

Once I revised the forum a little bit and saw you're from Trier (lovely city ^^), I feared that something like this could happen. Even if I have different thoughts about why you should consider offensive something which was part of the history of your country, where you have no responsibility yourself, I'll replace the avatar and put Question Yumi instead ^^.
By the way, the mother of one of my grandpas was a Jew ^^.

My apologies for the offense :(

PostPosted: July 6th, 2008, 8:25 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
42317 wrote:
I politely ask you to replace it with something... without such historical implications. I find it highly offensive.

I was wondering what your opinion on it was going to be.

Bloodfairy has already changed it, (you're quick :D ), so I will just say all's well that ends well. Hopefully there are no hard feelings, because I don't believe there was any malice intended.

PostPosted: July 6th, 2008, 8:59 pm 

By the way, the raising sword comes from the good old times when i played Neverwinter Nights... I used to play in the permanent RPG Spanish servers, and I used to hang around with a female Monk (now that I recall, Monks didn't use swords...) called Mina who never got above level 10 but was always in the fun and difficult quests :P

PostPosted: July 6th, 2008, 9:21 pm 
Resident Scholar

Indeed that was fast. Thank you, although you didn't have to do an almost 180° turn. :D

As for national responsibility, I am not one of the many Germans that cower in agony pondering the Nazi Dark Ages, I am very well aware that it was my grandfather's generation (who was only 14 at the end of the war and hated everything about it) who welcomed Hitler, and not me, and I also have a certain degree of understanding why he was so popular and how he could rise to power. But I despise people who use the "Nazi mace" (like that Russian who hit me right in the face, gaining some other foreign youths' sympathies by simply exclaiming I was a Nazi), Third Reich comparisons are a most effective political weapon in Germany.

I refuse feeling guilty for anything about that. That's not my problem. I play strategy games, happily conquering the world with the Wehrmacht, and I don't mind swastikas appearing in such games, other than our ever-careful media watchdogs who seem to be of the opinion that these special crosses were cursed and people who look at them would surely turn into Nazis... idiots.
All I want is people to reflect and remember and act accordingly.

Please understand that an avatar is something that represents you, and symbols from history are a delicate matter to be identified with. Choosing such a type of avatar needs to be given some thought, and from my perspective yours was simply ignorant and stupid, as the "western" swastika eventually stands for 55 million dead people and the only just war in history.

Heinrich Böll said we should be careful with the words we use. I'd like to add that that goes for symbols as well.

Sorry for the elaboration, you struck a sensitive point.

*sigh* Oh well... welcome aboard.
And congratulations on becoming European Soccer Champion. :wink:

PostPosted: July 6th, 2008, 9:54 pm 

Hehe. Thanks. I was tensed up to the last moment, since Germany tends to react always at the end of the matches :P

I totally disagree with Böll. If you feel like you have to watch for the contents of your expression (being the means words, paintings, or whatever artistic expression which doesn't involve performing an action on someone else's property which wasn't given willingly) just because someone's out there eager to punish you because in his or her opinion you're evil, you're merrily entering into a Totalitarian world, such as "The One who missed the bus" pursued.

I've studied a little part of German History (I got the highest grade in the oral exam of the Abitur ^^), I love German culture the most (I'm planning on living there in a future) and I thought I knew what a Swastika implies for Germans. But I can't help being fascinated by those crosses. I guess my passion for them has distanced myself so much of the "western conception" that I didn't take into account how heart-piercing they are for someone who's bred in the German society.

Justice and unjustice shall be discussed privately, if the chance comes.

Me, I'll just go to bed, not before thanking the warm welcome I've received.