Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 23rd, 2017, 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: cjed returns
PostPosted: March 18th, 2008, 9:34 am 
Newcomer

Hi, I used to hang around the animetric forums when it was run by Ro, and have been prodded into returning by a certain 42317. I'm significantly old - compared to most anime fans - (I was born in the same year as the European Union, and the launch of Sputnik!). I'm married with a couple of children in their 20s and live in Wiltshire, England

My other interests (apart from Anime and Manga, obviously) are learning Japanese, Photography, Music (I play guitar in a rock/indie band, and have recently started learning piano), Films and Books.

The first Anime series I remember as Anime was Sohryuden: Legend of the Dragon Kings which I watched on late night TV (thank you Channel 4) - not a great series, but it interested me, and when I started learning Japanese I thought anime would be a good study aid.

The first anime I owned (on DVD) was Hand Maid May (my avatar is Kazuya from that series), followed by Neon Genesis Evangelion, and after that I was hooked. I now own 282 anime titles (comprising 1032 DVD disks - yes, I have a spreadsheet, how sad is that :-)).

I watch a fair number of current series on fansubs, and purchase (mainly from the US) most series I complete when they're licenced/released. I'm currently collecting Shuffle, Red Garden, Witchblade, Simoun and Welcome to the N.H.K. as singles. I also buy a significant amount of manga from Japan (which I can read enough of to make sense, provided it contains furigana - if it's kanji only then I'm lost).

I look forward to seeing you in the forums ... although I won't be a frequent visitor.

douzo yoroshiku onegaishimasu!

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 18th, 2008, 10:09 am 
Resident Scholar

I'm really glad to see you back here, because I always felt you had a kind of - how should I put it? - settled wisdom, maybe, that contributed much to the tone of Rowena's Animetric, as opposed to, hm, spontaneous statements of younger members. :lol:

Don't take this too serious, people. I'm just romantisizing. :oops:

Besides, cjed, I was trying to re-recruit you from the moment I had found out that Animetric was back online, months ago, but that photo-page guestbook of yours never seemed to work. I would write a message but it wouldn't appear, hell knows why.
I searched the internet, found two or three websites, I don't know which ones, which I was sure were related to you (some long name you got...) and used given E-Mail adresses there to contact you, but it was all in vain.
Now for some reason the guestbook worked; and I'm glad.

Hell, I should be labelled the Chief Necromancer around here... 8)

Edit: An add-on concerning the intelligibility of Kanji without Furigana.

If you use MS Windows, if, you might know that an official program called "Japanese IME" lets you type Japanese text using your keyboard. But this program also features something called "IME Pad", it appeared right together with the keyboard option down right in the taskbar. The IME Pad allows you to draw Kanji with your mouse via an option called "Hand writing (JA)" and subsequently looking them up in an incorporated Kanji dictionary.
The only downer might be that you'd have to know in what order the strokes of the character have to be drawn. I think that is a precondition of using the option properly.
Without guidance, it might be hard in the beginning. You're saving time if you know the writing basics, like a character usually starts on the upper left and that. I'm sure there are online instructions. But once you figure out the rules it becomes a really good helper.

Just don't ask me about installation details... I just installed Japanese IME and it was all there, so I guess it's not that hard.

On second thought, if I remember right you're working in the computer business since harddrives were invented and as big as gym halls or something, so you probably know better than I do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 18th, 2008, 11:13 am 
Newcomer

42317 wrote:
... If you use MS Windows, if, you might know that an official program called "Japanese IME" lets you type Japanese text using your keyboard. But this program also features something called "IME Pad", it appeared right together with the keyboard option down right in the taskbar. The IME Pad allows you to draw Kanji with your mouse via an option called "Hand writing (JA)" and subsequently looking them up in an incorporated Kanji dictionary.

Actually I didn't know it could do that - I often use the IME to compose kanji from kana, I didn't realise that it had a kanji lookup feature - I'll have to try it out. However, that's not the problem, I have a Canon Wordtank V80 which also does drawn kanji lookup (and it's on-screen via a stylus which is more convienient). It's just that the time taken to look up the kanji and then determine the correct reading/meaning ruins the 'flow' when I'm reading and it becomes a translation exercise rather than, well, reading :-) I am getting better at the kanji, I can probably recognise a couple of hundred now, but the variation in readings and the fact that you need to really know about 1000 (preferably 2000) mean it's going to be some time before I can read kanji - perhaps before I'm 60 (at least that's my target).

42317 wrote:
On second thought, if I remember right you're working in the computer business since harddrives were invented and as big as gym halls or something, so you probably know better than I do.

Yup, I'm a software engineer - been programming computers since around 1972 or so ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 18th, 2008, 4:40 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Welcome back to the forum cjed! Always nice to have an old member return. And yes, you are certainly the senior member of the forum now, but that is a title that should be worn with pride. I look forward to seeing you on the forum!

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 18th, 2008, 10:07 pm 

Welcome back Cjed! It's great to see you are doing well, and wow, you do have an amazing collection!

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 18th, 2008, 11:13 pm 
Regular

Welcome back from another BRS member, cjed. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 19th, 2008, 6:31 pm 

Yeah great to see more familiar members around...ha..

Welcome back!!!