Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 19th, 2017, 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yay back online!
PostPosted: May 15th, 2007, 3:17 pm 
Regular

Hello all, I have been a keep reader of Animetric reviews ever since around 2001, and when I started getting familiar with the forum and it's members Ro cut it down, it's nice to see it's back online

I'm aware the admins changed, but I'm glad the reviews are still good as new, though I have to confess I'm not all that satisfied with the tone of the new reviews - I mean, Ro was already a celebrity xD, hard to replace her ;)

I'm from Brazil, 27 yo (... soon 28 .. damn it time) and computer software developer focusing right now on php development, though I'm trying to leave this area.

Needless to say, I'm a huge fan of anime =D

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 15th, 2007, 7:53 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Welcome to the forum Caiobrz! It's nice to have another webmaster on the forums.

I am always looking to make the reviews better, so you will have to elaborate on what you mean by "tone."

Nevertheless, nice to have you aboard!

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 16th, 2007, 12:40 am 
Regular

Hi Acmurphy :D

Ahh it's somewhat hard to explain, that's why I used "tone" and not something more tangible. I think Ro's reviews were a little more centered in the sense she seams to try not to bias her reviews too much. Also, her reviews and the new reviews (I noticed there are more than one reviewer now?) have different opinions: another good point of her reviews is that she decided at one time to not let outsiders to review and only post reviews herself, that was important because we got to know her and how she reviewed, and thus we got "used" to any bias she would imply. Sometimes she rated something bad, but you would read the review, get why she disliked and get it that YOU would like it from her review, or she would rate it good but reading the review you would see why she personaly liked it, and from that why YOU would not like, ... aaaaaa hard to explain

Since now there are different people reviewing, we don't actually have a clue how the reviewer think and what are his tastes. For instance, I bet Ro would rate Azumanga 5 stars, I know that because I got used to her reviews and way of thinking so one can kind of predict what kind of titles she would like or not, but that's impossible now with several reviewers =x

But hey, I guess this is not a problem, any site that want to have more reviews will eventually need to have multiple reviewers, nobody can watch all anime in the world xD~

So ... in the end ... it's different, but not different "bad", but different "different" (yeah ... right ... I'm not making sense ... I know). I guess it's a matter of getting used to how each reviewer "works" and get to know them.

The only usefull hint I can think is to keep trying to remain unbiased. There are no unbiased opinion, but there are "the least possible biased" ;)

... ok my brain just exploded from this post :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 16th, 2007, 1:07 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
I see what you are getting at, no worries. Currently the site has 3 reviewers, Tony, Josh and I. I decided to expand it out from just myself writing reviews for a couple of reasons. One, so that people would be able to have different opinions on titles, rather than everything being rated from my point of view. Second, I have never played a bishoujo game and don't really have any plans to get into them. Thus, Josh who has played a number of bishoujo games will be able to write reviews for them, rather than no new bishoujo game reviews at all. That's my thought process on it anyway.

I haven't really noticed my reviews being biased, more so than the fact that I am giving my opinion on the title being reviewed, but I will try and watch for anything like that in the future.

Thanks much for the comments! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 16th, 2007, 2:16 am 
Regular

hmm I see, do you intent to let more than one reviewer to review the same title to have different opinions than? might be interesting.

Anyway, as I mentioned, it's just a question of getting used to the change ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 16th, 2007, 6:39 am 
Resident Scholar

Caiobrz wrote:

Nice site. Too bad, most of the wallpaper slots are rather empty (browsing by Anime), and moreover... a download limit for wallpapers???
I mean, if we were talking about videoclips, okay, those make up for some gigabytes per day maybe, but low-megabyte wallpapers? Come on...
My motivation to browse the site for wallpapers has just dropped into an abyss... although there are a few very good ones.
Last but not least the information says like "15 DL per non-registered user per day", but actually I got me only five and was already rejected.
Abyss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 16th, 2007, 4:05 pm 
Regular

er I don't think this is the place to discuss other sites, but think about this: I'm on the threshold of my bandwitdh with 6k hits daily. Also, if you register you can download 30, and if you are a member of the site, why would you like to LEECH the site? it is up 24-7, you can just come back and get more later, only leechers really hit the 15 walls, if you visit the site once a week you will realise it does not have 15 new walls a week anyway. It used to be 30 walls a day but my bandwidth went to oblivion.

If you want to discuss THAT site, please PM here or there, I think Animetric is about Animetric ;)

Hei, you seriously don't remember me? we used to discuss a lot on old animetric foruns =p

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 17th, 2007, 4:47 am 

Caiobrz wrote:
Since now there are different people reviewing, we don't actually have a clue how the reviewer think and what are his tastes. For instance, I bet Ro would rate Azumanga 5 stars, I know that because I got used to her reviews and way of thinking so one can kind of predict what kind of titles she would like or not, but that's impossible now with several reviewers =x

Actually I would've given Azumanga 5 stars if I had watched it the first time, but since I had to rewatch it again a couple more times, I can see why people would not like it. My personal belief is that a 5 star is only for those that you can truly enjoy over and over again, and believe me Azumanga could be one of those and for the longest time I thought it deserved 5 stars no matter what. Time passes by, and things change, but it's a great series to watch anyways.

BTW welcome to the board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 17th, 2007, 2:48 pm 
Regular

Hi, thanks for the wb

Nah, as I said each have their taste. I don't see how rewatching would make it less interesting, I have rewatched it 3 times (all of them with my wife, which loves Azumanga). Not really because we "wanted":

first watch: fansubs
second watch: bought DVD and "tested" it :roll:
third watch: depressed, so I watched again (my wife loves so she just sit and watch with me)

lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 18th, 2007, 9:03 am 
Resident Scholar

Caiobrz wrote:
Hei, you seriously don't remember me? we used to discuss a lot on old animetric foruns =p

Well I don't remember the Daisuki site actually, but there was someone from Brazil with some kinda whirlpool-like avatar... yeah, might be you, I thought, but I didn't want to jump to conclusions just by what you wrote above.

Last comment about the site:
I don't usually return to such sites often. Usually I browse the site, download anything that I like in one sitting and then disappear. Most such sites sites (with wallpapers) are not updated often enough to save them to the favorites. Sorry if your site is different.

Okay, last thing said!

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 18th, 2007, 1:16 pm 
Regular

Quote:
Well I don't remember the Daisuki site actually, but there was someone from Brazil with some kinda whirlpool-like avatar... yeah, might be you, I thought, but I didn't want to jump to conclusions just by what you wrote above.

Yeap, that was me.

lol, you don't know much wallpapers sites do you? enjoy:

www.animepaper.net
www.minitokyo.net

About 30+ new walls each day. And you will bump into their freaking small download limit and will praise Daisuki for allowing 15 downloads a day =p