Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 17th, 2017, 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hey guys.
PostPosted: April 22nd, 2007, 8:35 am 
Newcomer

Hey folks,

New member here. I'm Alistair, an Australian guy interested in video game music.

I run a western-VGM website. But I also love a lot of Japanese anime/console game music.

Really like this site, I make my purchases of anime/h-games based on reviews from this site. "Rowena Lim Lei", whoever that is, is a great reviewer (although I disagree about some of their commnets re: Sagara Family).
But I really respect some of the pan reviews, I'm sure some people will disagree, but it's really good for fans to know that some games out there are just trash. Otherwise I would've bought "Let's Meow Meow" on a whim. ;)

On that note, I've very recently got my first H-games in the mail, and am pretty happy with them so far (Brave Soul, The Sagara Family).

In fact, if I had time, I'd record the Sagara Family's soundtrack :)

One last thing- has this board been around for a while, but moved recently? or is the forum a relatively new idea? Seems funny there's so few members for such a long-running good site.

Anyway. Hope everyone out there's doing well this fine weekend. :)

Regards,
- Spike

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 22nd, 2007, 8:40 am 
Lurker

It died a few years back because Ro was busy with real life. She eventually sold her review site, and the new management of animetric.com decided to restart the community. Hence, the small numbers.

Welcome to the boards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 22nd, 2007, 10:48 am 
Newcomer

Very interesting! Good luck with this new community, sounds fun :)

I'm a big fan of Rowena's reviews, and the site in general, hence me joining tonight.

Thanks for the welcome, too.

- Spike

Post subject: Re: Hey guys.
PostPosted: April 22nd, 2007, 11:57 pm 
Regular

Hmmm...

Brave Soul, Sagara Family, Let's Meow Meow...

You wouldn't happen to like catgirls, would you? :wink:

I'm currently playing Brave Soul at the moment myself (and am going for Marin's ending). It's loads of fun, and freaking addictive!

Anyway, welcome aboard! Good to see a fellow Australian here as well. :)

P.S. Incidentally, what's your opinion so far of the Sagara Family? I thought about getting it once or twice, but the graphics and the apparently over-the-top humor in the game have turned me away each time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 23rd, 2007, 10:58 am 
Newcomer

Quote:
Hmmm...

Brave Soul, Sagara Family, Let's Meow Meow...

You wouldn't happen to like catgirls, would you?

I haven't played the latter, I should point out in my defence :)

But yes, I'm a catgirl fan. Recent thing actually. But in a very limited kind of way. I guess what I mean is, I like catgirls in some ways, but not others- for example, I'm not a big lolicon fan, and there seems to be a lot of lolicon catgirls.

Quote:
I'm currently playing Brave Soul at the moment myself (and am going for Marin's ending). It's loads of fun, and freaking addictive!

Yeah, I replied to your last post about it! I can't say the dungeon aspect thrills me, I prefer Ys for that, but it's refreshing to see a game like this in the genre. Wish there were more of 'em.

Quote:
Anyway, welcome aboard! Good to see a fellow Australian here as well.

Lol! Totally awesome, a fellow Australian. <shakes> I wondered why I liked your posting style so much :)

Quote:
P.S. Incidentally, what's your opinion so far of the Sagara Family? I thought about getting it once or twice, but the graphics and the apparently over-the-top humor in the game have turned me away each time.

I'll be honest. The humour (it has 2 u's for us, Aussie boy ;) ) and graphics are good points of the game in my book!

I really, really like the game. Rowena's review on this site is in my book quite inaccurate in some areas (whereas I think most are spot on).

(Mild spoilers possibly follow.)

For example, I wouldn't call it a 'sex romp', or pure hentai. For my money, the vast majority of the game has been interesting scenarios, character development, and some quite brilliant relationships established (I even believe in the 'world' within our world, or game universe that they establish).
There's the little scenes that don't matter, but are just helpful in explaining the plot, and developing people. Like a Bond movie, when movies were over 2 hours and had non-essential scenes tht made the movies classics.
The sex is an 'added bonus' in my mind, with the emphasis on Yusuke (the protagonist) simply living his life as a student, but also enjoying the privileges of living in the Sagara house.

I also wouldn't say over-the-top humour. Yeah, I've laughed hard at some scenes, but there's only a few token anime-esque 'oh no' scenes like accidental pervert scenes/etc. I think it's been pretty well done mostly.

Yes, there's pitfalls. The game's premise is a tad shaky (you know, guy stays in house full of attractive women), sometimes scenes are manufactured, and worst, whoever invented the short game intro and title screen needs to be taken out back and disciplined, because it's shameful- basically all the females topless with "O" faces. So silly, given the main focus of the game seems to be respecting the women and caring about more than just them naked.

But really, my criticism ends there. The characters aren't faceless women who you rape, like in some hentai games (Idols Galore springs to mind), and are quite well-developed. I find myself actually caring about the scenarios, and the girls themselves- not just wading through dialogue and desperately hoping for a h-scene to relieve the boredom.

But maybe it's my kind of romantic personality that enjoys this, and for others (perhaps looking for hentai) it'd just be tedious. I can't guarantee you'd like it.
Little things really draw me to it, though. There's realistic problems in the game, and it's not all happiness, sunshine and sex. I actually find the game itself realistic. (God, did I just say that?)
Other things too, like although you may sleep with all the women, your level of closeness with them can vary a great deal.

Some added personal joy came from the music, since I'm a VGM fan. Really well-done soundtrack here, I love every single piece so far! Quite brilliant, suits the scenes/people very well.
Voice acting is quite good too.

Basically, I haven't played many games in the genre, but this one is absorbing. If you want more from your characters/scenarios than hentai scenes, then go for it.

90+% so far (I'm mostly through it I think).

One thing- you can save/load anywhere, but don't abuse that. Otherwise you'll ruin replayability, and it also becomes less realistic to play. Choice trees are choices for a reason :)

(Spoiler hint: Everytime you can 'do her', you probably should!)

Regards, and thanks for the welcome, sorry for the long review!
- Spike

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 23rd, 2007, 8:46 pm 
Regular

Spikey wrote:
I'll be honest. The humour (it has 2 u's for us, Aussie boy ;) ) and graphics are good points of the game in my book!

Yeah, I know. I have a terrible habit of spelling some words in the Australian style, and others in the US style. :(

Thanks for the detailed review on the Sagara Family. I guess I might give it a go next time I pick up some more b-games then. The thing that generally turned me off the game was how all the ladies in the game looked so similar to each other (I mean, obviously they will to some extent, as they're the same family, but still!) Then again, if it's got a good story and character development, I could probably overlook that.