Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 12th, 2017, 10:38 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Scrapped Princess Review: 5 stars! Huh?!
PostPosted: February 24th, 2008, 12:57 am 

Well I've been gone fore awhile. I come back and find a review for Scrapped Princess. I read, well skimmed, I own the series for awhile. And I thought popped in my head, am I the only person that was't completely blown away by it? Mean sure it was a good series but hardly the master piece people make it out to be. This could be because after it started to go into the sci-fi over fantasy I almost lost complete interest. Don't get me wrong I liked the series, how it blend things and kept things turning and spinning but how do I put this. I've watched almost everything that BONES, the people that did Scrapped Princess, has put out. I love most of them. So I guess I was expecting something more out of it. Especially when in a few places I found it being called BONES best work yet.

The thing that sticks with me most was the lack luster ending. It felt like they just got done with the climax then couldn't think of how to end it all. I'll have to rewatch it as it has been nearly a year but from what I do recall is that it wasn't the much better then the usual..

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 24th, 2008, 1:07 am 
Post Master

So, other than the ending, why don't you agree with the review? Saying "I was expecting something more out of it" isn't a valid reason. What we're you expecting?

Also, welcome back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 24th, 2008, 3:04 am 
Major Contributor

Not too long ago, I saw how X-play rates it's games. About 5-star games, Adam seems to make a point of saying, "a game that gets a 5 isn't nesisarily a perfect game," but it's one they'd be okay with putting into the hands of anyone willing to pick up a controller. Since Animetric uses a best of 5 stars system as well, I'd assume a 5 star anime would be the same...

...But that's just me trying to move the sludge around in my head and squeeze out a thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 24th, 2008, 3:27 am 
Regular

In the end, reviews come down mainly to personal taste. I mean, technical aspects are of course considered, but a reviewer's personal likes will have a large impact on the final result.

Dr. Insane-o

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 24th, 2008, 5:55 am 
Regular

Well, I agree that the ending of Scrapped Princess was a bit of a let-down, but I couldn't fault any other aspect of it. I wouldn't have given it 5 stars (then again, I NEVER give anything 5 stars), but it's definitely worthy of a 4.5 in my books.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 24th, 2008, 4:00 pm 
Resident Scholar

I liked the series very much, with its characters and all these cool names and stuff... maybe the end wasn't quite what I wanted, but, hey, I'd still give it 4/5. It's also a bit strange that it goes from Fantasy to Sci-Fi, but I don't mind. Older Final Fantasy titles, especially the GameBoy "FF Legend" games, had the same approach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 1st, 2008, 12:06 pm 

I was kinda annoyed how it developed into these high flying mecha like battles. I kinda wanted more of the Obstinate Arrow and the axe kid. The battle in the glass cave was totally epic.

Well for those unsatisfied with the ending, I guess you gotta kinda pray and hope Tokyopop or somebody decides to localize the novels or something. I mean with Full Metal Panic and Trinity Blood making it over in novel form... there might be hope yet. Although I rather not have TP do anything since they skimp out on the colour inserts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 1st, 2008, 5:04 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Storm_Shinobi wrote:
Well for those unsatisfied with the ending, I guess you gotta kinda pray and hope Tokyopop or somebody decides to localize the novels or something. I mean with Full Metal Panic and Trinity Blood making it over in novel form... there might be hope yet. Although I rather not have TP do anything since they skimp out on the colour inserts.

Unless I am mistaken, TP is already releasing the novels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 2nd, 2008, 4:01 pm 

I'm not saying the review is complete off basis. just not a pefect grade. I'd have given it 4 or 4.5 stars. That's all.

I didn't like where they went with most of the characters. How it ended, I didn't feel much closure to it. I didn't like how they went from many fantasy to nearly straight sci-fi, if they had left it fantasy I think I would have liked it better. The over focus on genes and destiny. Stuff like that.

I probably would like it more if the first and only time I watched it I hadn't just finished watching Mars Daybreak, was watching Eureka 7, with fond memories of Wolf's Rain and Raxiphon (sorry never been able to spell that one). Still I'm going to rewatch it and I'll get back on that in a few weeks.

Post subject: Re: Scrapped Princess Review: 5 stars! Huh?!
PostPosted: June 20th, 2008, 1:05 am 
Major Contributor

A little late but my reasoning behind the 5-star rating was that despite any shortcomings, I enjoyed the series thoroughly from beginning to end, and I never once became bored or uninterested. That combined with the show's thematic elements and superb audio-visual accomplishment (especially for a circa 2003 series) made it a 5-star worthy show.