Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 17th, 2017, 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Toki wo kakeru Shôjo
PostPosted: April 2nd, 2010, 6:18 pm 
Resident Scholar

aka. "The Girl who leapt through Time"

By accident Makoto gains the ability to jump back in time - literally: She has to jump, physically, to achieve this. After discovering this she indulges in prolonging her free time, but things get more complicated when she dicovers that Chiaki, one of her best friends, has feelings for her. She then has to realize that anything she does in terms of fumbling with fate, as she is afraid to make a clear decision, has a distinct effect which is not necessarily as foreseeable as she might wish or imagine, up to the point where her reasoning becomes a matter of life and death.

I think the content cannot be put any shorter, nor should it be described any longer.
It's a really good movie, I can't say it's something close to a masterpiece from my point of view, but it's really, really good. I must say that for a masterpiece it lacks animation quality and the notion that someone travels through time to correct or prevent mishaps is not a very original one. Character designs and backgrounds are close to awesome, but there's something lacking in the movements of the sprites in my opinion. I'm not an expert, but I think it could have been done a little better. Last but not least
Soundtrack was nice, too, I cannot remember a single tune, it's subtly inconspicuous yet fitting.
I really enjoyed Makoto's voice. She has a certain dry quality in it that I dig, man, I thought I was gonna come... :sweat:

One thing is clearly open for debate:
Why where the protagonists' names chosen as they were?
Nothing to say about Kôsuke.
But "Makoto" is actually a male name, or let's say it is usually used as a male name (since almost all Japanese names, by using different Kanji, can be gender-switched; names ending in "-ko" are the exception.) Naming a girl Makoto (in Anime) is usually a hint of her being somewhat of a tomboy. Her SailorMoon namesake, Kino Makoto, is the epitome of this concept.
"Chiaki", on the other hand, is in most cases a female name.
Well, Makoto hangs around with the boys Kôsuke and Chiaki and plays catch-ball with them (if that's what you call it), definitely not quite a feminine pastime, but there are no other hints at her being tomboyish that I could remember right now.
Chiaki has no feminine traits, apart from being the modern type of the cool and handsome guy with no assertive stress on manliness (as opposed to Kôsuke).

On a sidenote: "kakeru" is a verb that does not really exist, it's more of a word-play.
Usually you would say "toki ga kakaru" = "time passes by". "Ga" is a postposition that says that the noun it follows "does" something, is the subject of the sentence. (What does time do? It passes by.)
By saying "toki wo kakeru" you're making "toki"/"time" the object of the sentence. And now try and find something from the semantic field around "to pass (by)" that fits, as in "shôjo ga toki wo kakeru". It's clear that she manipulates time, but I cannot think of an English verb that would clearly describe the action. :?

Post subject: Re: Toki wo kakeru Shôjo
PostPosted: April 2nd, 2010, 7:51 pm 
Regular

perfect movie description.

i absolutely loved this anime. though i think i even liked the original movie better as i think it was a little sad.

interesting remark about her voice... haha. i had to go and check. kind of had a boyish sound to her so i could not say the same.
i like the girls that sound like they recovered from a cold. ha.

you really go into it about the names!
yeah, i think the reason for it is because of the kind of role reversal.
the girl acts like a boy who runs from love while the boy acts like a girl who runs towards it.

about your whole language studies. i think the title is called "the girl who passes through time"

42317 wrote:
I must say that for a masterpiece it lacks animation quality and the notion that someone travels through time to correct or prevent mishaps is not a very original one. Character designs and backgrounds are close to awesome, but there's something lacking in the movements of the sprites in my opinion. I'm not an expert, but I think it could have been done a little better.
not original? well, the story is very old. i think the 60s. the movie i watched was in the 70s. though she does do all the time travel hijinx, it really is a bit more about the relationship formed like that movie with christopher reeves. i think the animation for this version was done well. it is a very slow and relaxed story so i thought it fit perfectly. granted i have not watched this 2006 anime version in years.

EDIT: did a check and the christopher reeve flick is called "somewhere in time" [1980]. i loved that movie too.
oh, and a word to the wise. i am into all that sad sappy sentimental sh.t. so if you are not the same, best to avoid these.

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2010, 10:59 am 

The anime movie was rather enjoyable, I was pretty fond of it. As for the animation quality, it was good enough I found. It was simplistic and didn't try to get all fangled CG like everything these days.

I can't say the same for its predecessor though, the old 1983 movie. It was all over the place and didn't make much sense, then the time trip with the bad sfx part came and it was just a nonsensical slideshow in which at the end they suddenly decided to conclude everything.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2010, 12:43 pm 
Resident Scholar

dbd_addict wrote:
perfect movie description.

Thanks for the flowers. :d^_^b:

dbd_addict wrote:
interesting remark about her voice... haha. i had to go and check. kind of had a boyish sound to her so i could not say the same. i like the girls that sound like they recovered from a cold. ha.

I like "dry" voices, when the words sound like passing a grindstone.
Allison Keith does that. Or at least she did 10 years ago, haven't heard her since.

dbd_addict wrote:
you really go into it about the names!
yeah, i think the reason for it is because of the kind of role reversal.
the girl acts like a boy who runs from love while the boy acts like a girl who runs towards it.

Sounds sensible, but on the other hand gender roles demand that the boy asks the girl to go out with him, and not vice versa. (The latter was seen in Chikyû Bôei Kazoku, aka. The Daichis, where Seiko proposes to Mamoru, and it was clearly meant to shed a negative light (i.e. being spineless) on the male character.)

dbd_addict wrote:
i think the title is called "the girl who passes through time"

All the translations that I know of interpret the original title in a way that the girl moves through time - which is okay, it's legitimate, and I'm fine with it. It is legitimate because there is no literal way of translating it, the meaning can only be conveyed by rephrasing the whole thing. There is no concept about manipulating the flow of time, like bending it. We perceive time like a river. The river flows and in our imagination we can do two manipulative things to it: pass through it (upstream or downstream) and stop it.
Cutting it short: The Japanese title is great in a linguistic sense but it's not actually right because she doesn't really do anything to Time (as suggested by making time the grammatical object of the sentence). If you get into a swimming pool and swim from point A to point B you can hardly claim that you did anything to the water, right?
You can "breathe air", and it is understood that we mean "air in general", but if you "traverse water" (equal verb-object constructions) I think we're more talking about a particular body of water and you'd rather name that body in your sentence, like "the pool", "the Hudson Bay", or "the Pacific".

PostPosted: April 7th, 2010, 4:14 pm 
Regular

42317 wrote:
Allison Keith does that. Or at least she did 10 years ago, haven't heard her since.
By your description I think it is the same sound yet the examples you gave are different. haha. I cannot believe I am even discussing this!

42317 wrote:
Sounds sensible, but on the other hand gender roles demand that the boy asks the girl to go out with him, and not vice versa. (The latter was seen in Chikyû Bôei Kazoku, aka. The Daichis, where Seiko proposes to Mamoru, and it was clearly meant to shed a negative light (i.e. being spineless) on the male character.)
gender roles demand that the boy take charge. although not really about his feelings... I was asking girls out in grade school but only after they instigated, I was too emotionally immature to understand any sort of concept such as love. Maybe I grew up differently but to me clearly Chiaki was different and not typical of an early teen boy. Girls mature faster than boys. He acted older and she acted younger.

marriage proposal is a completely different matter. we are talking about teens here.

42317 wrote:
There is no concept about manipulating the flow of time, like bending it. We perceive time like a river. The river flows and in our imagination we can do two manipulative things to it: pass through it (upstream or downstream) and stop it.
Cutting it short: The Japanese title is great in a linguistic sense but it's not actually right because she doesn't really do anything to Time (as suggested by making time the grammatical object of the sentence). If you get into a swimming pool and swim from point A to point B you can hardly claim that you did anything to the water, right?
Well, I think as you stated, "bending time", is a perfect name for the concept about manipulating time. I think that terminology is used a lot. As for the the water, you are displacing it... Perhaps I do not understand you, but time is just another dimension.

PostPosted: April 10th, 2010, 6:24 pm 
Resident Scholar

dbd_addict wrote:
42317 wrote:
By your description I think it is the same sound yet the examples you gave are different. haha. I cannot believe I am even discussing this!

Why not? It's fun and it doesn't hurt anyone! :P2:

dbd_addict wrote:
Girls mature faster than boys. He acted older and she acted younger.

That might be realistic in a sense, but all I can say is that girls mature faster only in the physical way... with the exception of, well, exceptional individuals I have not seen a generally faster development in girls. This is of course only my personal experience. And then again I see no evidence for such a thing in popular media, the "reality" of which we are discussing.

dbd_addict wrote:
marriage proposal is a completely different matter. we are talking about teens here.

Where is it different? Marriage counts even more so! In media publications you will frequently see or read about girls who make the first step by asking the boy out. It's not the norm imho but it happens often enough for dramatic/literary reasons I have pointed out earlier.
Proposing (marriage) on the other hand is completely in male hands, at least according to the dictations of human gender roles. Cases of switched roles in a proposal in popular media during the last decades can probably be counted with two hands.
Girl asks boy out: Doesn't sound so strange if you're somewhat liberal.
Woman goes to man's father, asking for the son's hand in marriage: That sounds so out there it's almost comical!

PostPosted: April 10th, 2010, 10:28 pm 
Regular

42317 wrote:
Why not? It's fun and it doesn't hurt anyone! :P2:
I guess it is a strange thing. When I talk to a girl and tell her I like her voice they always say, "really?" as if nobody compliments her on her voice. Sometimes I will strike up a conversation just because I want to hear her talk... ha.

One of my ex's does not like to be a "genki" girl. Her mother told her to lower her voice and people will take her more seriously which I could see why. Although when she gets excited or talks to girls on the phone she has the typical girl sound. Haha. It is cute.

42317 wrote:
That might be realistic in a sense, but all I can say is that girls mature faster only in the physical way... with the exception of, well, exceptional individuals I have not seen a generally faster development in girls. This is of course only my personal experience. And then again I see no evidence for such a thing in popular media, the "reality" of which we are discussing.
Could be a culture difference because mine was pretty much like in the media. My friends and I were out in the woods cutting down trees and blowing things up. We cared not for the female persuasion. Boys in higher grades were taking out girls in our grades. Sure I "made" out with my tomboy friend but although she was really into it, I did not really care. I think it was around grade 6 where we played all those closet games and spin the bottle but girls were clearly more into it. Maybe us guys had more things to do... Even when I started "dating" it was always initiated by the girls. One of her friends would ask me, "do you like so and so? she likes you" or you receive the anonymous letter in your locker. Forgive the expression, but 'it is so high school'... haha.

42317 wrote:
dbd_addict wrote:

Where is it different? Marriage counts even more so! In media publications you will frequently see or read about girls who make the first step by asking the boy out. It's not the norm imho but it happens often enough for dramatic/literary reasons I have pointed out earlier.
Proposing (marriage) on the other hand is completely in male hands, at least according to the dictations of human gender roles. Cases of switched roles in a proposal in popular media during the last decades can probably be counted with two hands.
Girl asks boy out: Doesn't sound so strange if you're somewhat liberal.
Woman goes to man's father, asking for the son's hand in marriage: That sounds so out there it's almost comical!
It is different because usually us teen boys are concerned about school not marriage. We are much too young to marry. We do not even have a career, how are we supposed to go through the trials of marriage if we have not even settled our own lives? When we are marriage material, we are adults and the male has matured and caught up! The situation we are speaking of here is grade school and as I have said before, in grade school the girls would always make the first step.
ie.
girl: hey, i like you.
boy: okay, let's go out.

PostPosted: May 16th, 2010, 6:44 am 
Resident Scholar

dbd_addict wrote:
girl: hey, i like you.
boy: okay, let's go out.

Strange. I could have sworn that I replied to your post at the time, but evidence tells me otherwise. Now I can't remember anymore. Hmpf. Head stuffed with other things.

PostPosted: May 21st, 2010, 6:19 pm 
Regular

I should rephrase that quote. I never had a girl say, "hey, I like you" on a first encounter. Drunk girls excluded...
Remember we are still talking about grade school.

It should say:
Friend of girl: She likes you.
Boy: Oh, okay, I will meet her.

The point I am trying to make is that us boys think about this stuff later than the girls...

We could do a poll here!
your first hook-up! did the girl instigate or did the boy?

I will start.
girl!

PostPosted: June 4th, 2010, 6:23 pm 
Resident Scholar

dbd_addict wrote:
We could do a poll here!
your first hook-up! did the girl instigate or did the boy?
I will start.
girl!

Interesting poll. Why don't you start a poll thread? :clap: