Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 23rd, 2017, 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2063 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138  Next
 Post subject: Re: What Are You Watching Now?
PostPosted: August 21st, 2011, 3:36 pm 

Watched Detective Opera Milky Holmes.

Basically there are people with special powers called Toys(the powers that is).

Then these people with powers either become Detectives or Phantom Thieves.

The story follows the magical gi-- I mean DETECTIVE team of four girls, MILKY HOLMES which consists of Sherlock Shellingford, Nero Yuzurizaki, Hercule Barton and Cordelia Glauca(descendants of famous detectives, the only one I know is Sherlock. And being descendants, they should really share their last names rather than first names - but not like the show makes much sense anyway). Who find themselves having lost their powers after a battle with their rival, the phantom thief Arsene and her three goons.

So basically having lost their powers, they drop down in status in their detective academy and lose all their special privileges, get reduced to being fed plain baked potatoes for meals and living in an attic. Meanwhile Arsene seems to have further plans for the Milky Holmes team....

All in all its a sorta hit and miss completely off its pants slapstick comedy anime about little girls... actually don't know their age but the art style makes everybody look little... now where was I. About little girls being stupid. And it sorta hovers through funny, stupid funny and just plain stupid and back again all while being pretty incoherent and random. The show doesn't take itself seriously and kinda takes the whole not taking itself seriously to ridiculous heights.

Also it kinda sets itself up as little girls with special powers, so we expect some kinda magical girl anime offshoot. Then they lose their powers... and only regain them in the very last episode. So yeah, its not exactly magical girl. Not even in the Zettai Karen Children sense.

Did I enjoy it? Yes. Did I think it was a waste of time? Also yes.

Also, beware of erect man nipples.

PostPosted: September 4th, 2011, 12:13 pm 
Resident Scholar

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
descendants of famous detectives, the only one I know is Sherlock.

Well, Mr. Holmes is very popular indeed.

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
Hercule Barton

Surely the descendant of Hercule Poirot.

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
Cordelia Glauca

Cordelia Gray, no doubt.

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
Nero Yuzurizaki

Research leads me to Nero Wolfe.

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
the phantom thief Arsene and her three goons

Arsène Lupin, obviously.

PostPosted: September 17th, 2011, 9:09 am 

I went on what I call an Ai Yazawa binge to to speak.

Watched the entirety of Nana, unsatisfied with how it ended(or rather the lack of an ending) went off to watch the entirety of Paradise Kiss. Since the manga artist were the same, I expected similar flavours to ail my craving for more Nana.

While it is the anime I'm watching and not reading the manga, Ai Yazawa really has a way of creating very real characters and relationships, even of the premise can be pretty unlikely. Which is nice actually, I rather have interesting believable characters go through interesting lives rather than the usual unrealistic anime character cutouts go through regular school life.

Feeling like I played too much games recently, I was in the mood to lay back and do nothing but watch anime. And watch I did, Nana. Couldn't stop. Nana is a pretty emotional drama, it starts off pretty goofy and light and even bipolar once the early drama sets into the comedic presentation of the early episodes. Its like whee laughs and then snap DRAMA. It gets pretty heavy after the series goes into its 30s, but in a good way. As someone wanting a good drama for a while already, this was a very good watch setting aside the lack of conclusion. Some of the emotional troubles the character run through and face also feel close to home so I found myself sympathizing with the characters on many occasions. Even though I disliked how much of an idiot Hachi was, somehow it felt just like what a regular girl in her situation would do and eventually she just grew on me.

Paradise Kiss was also a fun watch. Its less of a drama and less so about the emotions and kinda more plot driven in a sense. Can't really explain. Shorter, concise and more complete as well. While there is less emotional impact, it has very interesting characters and interactions and I was really intrigued throughout. Could live with more, but I felt it left off at a good moment even if the ending isn't... 'ideal' so to speak. But well these kind of 'real' shows tend to have a whole life isn't perfect tinge on their endings. Which I'm not entirely a fan of honestly but it works mostly.

Nana was more of an emotional roller coaster while Paradise Kiss was like a calmer ride. And both were great in their own ways.

PostPosted: September 17th, 2011, 9:55 am 
Resident Scholar

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
Nana
Paradise Kiss

How about links so I can read more facts and opinions about it?

PostPosted: September 17th, 2011, 4:07 pm 
Post Master

I've watched a lot of stuff since I last posted in this thread. Don't feel like elaborating on everything but if you're interested in what I rated stuff then jump over to http://myanimelist.net/profile/Mmsven

Hint: Nothing was over 7

PostPosted: September 17th, 2011, 4:52 pm 

Just look up ANN or Wikipedia. ANN is a bit useless beyond a simple synopsis though, although its good for finding related news articles and cast list.

I guess I'll grill through it a bit.

Nana is basically the tale of two completely different girls with the same name that on an off chance meet and end up living together. Eventually their experiences together turn them into friends and they later turn into soul mates.
Komatsu Nana is a typical scatterbrained girl, born from a rather well off family. With not much of an aim in life, she decides to follow her friends and boyfriend to Tokyo after saving up enough money to move there.
Ozaki Nana is a budding musician who on contrast lacks a family. Abandoned by her mother and raised by her grandmother who is now deceased. Stumbling her way through life, she later became part of a popular indies band back in her town. After her lover and one of the members left to go professional, the band fell apart. Picking her pride and ambition over love, she eventually moves to Tokyo to pursue a musical career.

The two Nanas first meet on a train and hit it off immediately, although after they arrive they split not expecting to see each other on a train. But they meet again when looking for a place to stay, and decide to share the place and the rent.

So you got the loose bimbo Komatsu Nana stumbling through part time jobs and her current relationship. And then you got Ozaki Nana, whom despite her looks is far more responsible and has it together. They live separate lives at first, simply being room mates and friends but as they support each other and Ozaki Nana starts acquiring her fame, Komatsu Nana gets sucked into her life and you have this storm of relations and characters building up a rather complex and intricate drama.

Paradise Kiss is about Yukari Hayasaka, a rather normal schoolgirl raised in a serious household. Studying hard because that is what is expected of her, having nothing else in life but to meet her parent's expectations. After being scouted as a model by some fashion students for their new lineup - she finds that there is more to life and discovers her own ambitions and desires and even love.
Essentially about a girl who breaks away from her usual daily life and grows into a new life, adapts to it, deals with the new relationships and friends.

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2011, 1:48 am 
Major Contributor

Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
I'm pretty much halfway through Romeo X Juliet and it's enjoyable so far. It's pretty much your typical retelling of Shakespeare's classic tragedy, which is nothing more than puppy love, but in a fantasy setting. Nothing new, but it's well handled, the artwork is very appealing and it's a great series for anyone who isn't familiar with anime.

Watched the first three episodes of Azumanga Daioh. Very funny and I'm liking what I'm seeing so far, but couldn't get enough time to watch it unfortunately. Real life, bitches.

Restarted Sakura Wars too, and I love it as usual. Steampunk mechs and Takarazuka Revue go together like milk and cookies.

Still need to continue with xxxHOLiC, Birdy the Mighty and Spice and Wolf II. ADD goin' off again lol.

Other than that, I haven't been watching a lot of anime sadly. Been too busy lately and the moe/harem/loli/gothic-saturated state of the anime industry really irritates me. Same thing can be said for fanservice too, even though I do like it to a certain extent (as long as it's done smartly and in a non-sexist fashion of course).

Hold on a minute...
Storm_Shinobi wrote:
GaoGaiGar and GaoGaiGar FINAL. Pretty much what MMSven said about it. Corny, kinda boring. Even when it picks up it doesn't pick up that much. FINAL was better but not enough to redeem it. Its a weekly show for kids who probably won't watch most of it. I think my time would have been better spent on another Precure.

BLASPHEMY!!! You leave my GaoGaiGar alone you, you *chard monster!!! :mad2: j/k

*If you get the reference, you win a cookie!

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2011, 7:33 pm 

Finally finished with Eden of the East (well only had the second movie left to watch...had to rewatch the whole thing to remember)....and well it was a satisfying ending except for poor Saki ha...as always you can end up believing whatever you want for whatever happens afterwards =_= (its getting annoying in anime ha...for once I would love a good closure with nothing left up in the air)

PostPosted: October 4th, 2011, 11:32 pm 
Major Contributor

Finally finished Romeo X Juliet on Sunday and I have to say I was quite satisfied with it overall. Sure, I definitely saw what was coming at the end, which was a no duh :roll:, but it was nicely handled and it made you feel sad for the most famous tragic couple in the history of theatre (unlike how most versions of Romeo and Juliet do).

PostPosted: October 8th, 2011, 1:13 am 
Major Contributor

I've got through the first 12 episodes of RahXephon and I have to say I'm really liking it a lot. Judging from most members' posts about this show weren't very enthusiastic and I can understand why. It's not fast-paced, everything seemed dull, artsy-fartsy, and it's sort of an Evangelion rip-off (which both shows share many similarities to one another). But personally, I find the characters to be more engaging and more tolerable than in Eva(sue me), I love its surrealistic nature (the Dolems kinda reminded me of golems in Neo Ranga to an extent), and the music is very beautiful, especially the ending song.

So yeah, I'm looking forward to finishing up RahXephon and see how much more wonderfully bizarre could it possibly get. Speaking of surreal anime, I STILL need to finish Utena and Melody of Oblivion! Been so busy that I almost lost track of what I'm watching atm! Oh well, that's life. :booyah:

PostPosted: October 12th, 2011, 10:40 am 

Rahxephon was one of my favs...good to hear you are enjoying it..

PostPosted: October 12th, 2011, 2:26 pm 

Watching Armored Trooper VOTOMS. 13 episodes in.

Quite an interesting show. Oddly it isn't about a war with robots, which was what I expected - but rather about a soldier after the war. Who basically witnessed something he shouldn't have after an operation he knew nothing about which involved attacking his own side. After being captured and tortured for information he doesn't have, he escapes and finds himself on the run from various sides fighting over what was stolen in that operation he took part in.

All the while he manages to scrounge and find Armored Troopers to pilot and wreak havoc on the factions out to get him, while working together with some scoundrels out to take advantage of his piloting skills but end up befriending him instead.

Despite being an old ass show(1983), it ages fairly well. The robot fights are pretty decent when it isn't just mindless blasting of grunts. The quality is fairly consistent as well, unlike lets say, Gundam Zeta where the MS battles turn into goofy criss crossing beams between badly drawn blocks of rectangles.

Also its nice to see rather down to earth mechs. They are fairly small, being like 5-6m tall or something, wield machine guns, cannons and missiles and move around by walking and 'skating' using their treaded feet. And the main character doesn't even have his own unique machine. He pilots mass produced Scopedogs, which he used during the war. And being fairly common machines which found their way into illegal battle arenas, civilian use and junkyards - he manages to scrounge up working machines. And he constantly switches machines, them getting severely damaged and abandoned a lot.

For a pretty damn old show, its a pretty damn fresh breath of air for the genre.

PostPosted: October 20th, 2011, 9:43 am 
Major Contributor

Fresnokila wrote:
Rahxephon was one of my favs...good to hear you are enjoying it..

That's cool and I've enjoyed it. Speaking of which, I just finished RahXephon on Tuesday night and I have to say it's a pretty solid series, despite the fact that the second half starts to become a little baffling. Then again, I didn't care and I thought it was more about the characters rather than the plot.

PostPosted: October 20th, 2011, 3:02 pm 

Hunter x Hunter: it's a remake of the original version, with better animation, they seem to intend animating the whole manga this time. Which would be awesome. The pace is a lot faster than the previous series as well. I'm really excited about it, the first 3 episodes were awesome. I haven't followed any anime series for years. That's the power of HxH.

And as if it weren't good enough, Gonzo's new release to commemorate their 20th anniversary is a Last Exile sequel!! (The first series was for their 10th anniversary, time sure flies) :D Seriously, it can't get any better. Actually it could if the new Berserk movies/series are released soon as well.

PostPosted: October 20th, 2011, 3:53 pm 

Made a thread about the next Last Exile. Hoping we can all watch a few airing shows together and discuss them on a weekly basis. Rather than just inflating this thread and leaving the rest of the forums to rot.

Although on that topic, I've started to rewatch the first Last Exile since I don't remember much about it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2063 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138  Next