Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 18th, 2017, 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2063 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135 ... 138  Next
 Post subject: Re: What Are You Watching Now?
PostPosted: July 15th, 2011, 8:58 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nf-NkV84q8
This made me slug it through Nanoha and get to and finish A's. Ended up watching StrikerS.

Guilty pleasure of mine really. Was it good? No I'd have to say. But it introduced me to awesome Mizuki Nana songs and some of the fights were pretty cool. The theatrical remake of Nanoha was pretty good actually, but well that'd also depend on how allergic you are to the girly magical girl slosh. And I sorta enjoyed being a fan anyway since there was a bandwagon following back in the day. Made for interesting conversation topics. Although it inspired a Magical Girl RP I got involved in and that experience was just all bad.

PostPosted: July 17th, 2011, 4:33 am 
Post Master

Watched 2 episodes of Suzuka before realizing that if I'm going to be watching a high school romance, I'm going to need the best of the best, and one that doesn't have a shitty dub.

Currently watching and 9 episodes into The Big O. The art style looks great and the animation is excellent for a series. I also like that it doesn't emphasize the robot battles too much, although the "negotiator" doesn't do very much negotiating, he usually just goes places and wrecks shit.

Also currently watching Vandread which has been mildly entertaining so far.

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
Was it good? No I'd have to say.

Are you ashamed of liking it? If it gets dubbed, I'll consider watching it if only to shorten the amount of time wasted on watching girls drool over a farret.

PostPosted: July 17th, 2011, 5:08 am 

I wouldn't say I'm ashamed of liking it, but I still admit it when things I like happen to be bad in my opinion. Either way it definitely isn't something I'd go announce or recommend though.

Any Nanoha dub will probably be pain on the ears and make the experience even worse.

PostPosted: July 17th, 2011, 2:13 pm 
Resident Scholar

Mmsven wrote:
I watched 3 episodes of Record of Lodoss War, and stopped. Horribly cliched generic RPG fantasy setting, nonsensical story structure, shitty story anyway.

Is there a classical fantasy movie or Anime that is really good?
Can't think of one. I found Lodoss entertaining and I'd like to buy it but it's one of the least necessary titles on my wishlist.

Mmsven wrote:
an expansive way of saying that it's boring.

That depends on the point of view. I enjoyed the character interactions and the voices of course. Does it always have to be suspenseful or mind-boggling? :D

PostPosted: July 18th, 2011, 11:56 pm 
Post Master

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
I wouldn't say I'm ashamed of liking it, but I still admit it when things I like happen to be bad in my opinion. Either way it definitely isn't something I'd go announce or recommend though.

I don't see how you could call something bad if you enjoyed it, unless you are ashamed about enjoying it. You should stop caring about what people might think about your taste, I'm sure there are much better things to lie about, like your opinion on whether explicit lolicon is good or not.

42317 wrote:
Does it always have to be suspenseful or mind-boggling? :D

That helps when I'm making huge time investments.

42317 wrote:
Is there a classical fantasy movie or Anime that is really good?

Lord of the Rings is the only thing that comes to mind. There's nothing else that I've seen that has been good, because what makes a fantasy good is seeing new things and not the vomit of Dungeons and Dragons.

Last edited by Mmsven on July 19th, 2011, 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: July 19th, 2011, 1:01 am 

On that count I think Utena and Turn A Gundam were pretty bad. But there were plenty of things to enjoy about them. I can objectively say there are tonnes of bad things about them, but I enjoyed them anyway so what the heck. I can acknowledge things like crappy plot and stupid characters but there are other things in the equation that can make it enjoyable.

How much I think something is good or bad does not hinge entirely on how much I enjoyed it. Throwing videogames into the equation, I hate pacifist puzzle games and platformers but if I play a good one, I can see why all those other people enjoyed it. Hence I still think Portal was a good game, but I didn't find the whole experience entirely enjoyable as some people did. Well I still enjoyed it somewhat but it certainly didn't change my life and gaming taste.

What I enjoyed about Nanoha was the mechanization of the magical girl. Nowhere else(that I know of) do you see magical girls doing these high flying acrobatics and packing mega particle cannons, homing lasers, beam scythes and tesla death rays. Also there was a space faring magical civilization, and I thought that was pretty unique. Frankly how young the girls were didn't really matter to me. The choreography still isn't as good as it could have been, the plot was definitely iffy and the way the whole friendship angle played out made me itch.

PostPosted: July 19th, 2011, 1:31 am 
Post Master

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
On that count I think Utena and Turn A Gundam were pretty bad. But there were plenty of things to enjoy about them. I can objectively say there are tonnes of bad things about them, but I enjoyed them anyway so what the heck. I can acknowledge things like crappy plot and stupid characters but there are other things in the equation that can make it enjoyable.

When something I enjoy has flaws, I don't call it bad, I call it flawed. Even though A Tree of Palme is fundamentally flawed, I enjoyed it as a visual spectacle, so I call it good, because good things are enjoyable, and bad things are not. Are you speaking English or not?

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
How much I think something is good or bad does not hinge entirely on how much I enjoyed it. Throwing videogames into the equation, I hate pacifist puzzle games and platformers but if I play a good one, I can see why all those other people enjoyed it. Hence I still think Portal was a good game, but I didn't find the whole experience entirely enjoyable as some people did. Well I still enjoyed it somewhat but it certainly didn't change my life and gaming taste.

When I'm thinking about my opinion of things, I don't add what the population thinks into the equation. In your opinion, you should think puzzle games and platformers are all bad, and not that they are all good because someone else can enjoy them.

PostPosted: July 19th, 2011, 2:20 am 

I like to be more objective about things. Plus being in a game design course, I kinda need to think that way. Also an objective standpoint makes for better recommendations to friends.

Some people probably enjoy Queen's Blade or Qwaser for the breasts but I'd swat them if they thought they were actually good on any level.

PostPosted: July 19th, 2011, 3:11 am 
Post Master

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
I like to be more objective about things. Plus being in a game design course, I kinda need to think that way. Also an objective standpoint makes for better recommendations to friends.

It's fine to be objective when thinking about what's good for other people, but in this context it doesn't make any sense.

PostPosted: July 19th, 2011, 3:47 am 

I categorize things under good and bad along with enjoyable and not enjoyable. A bunch of intersecting sets, where the sets that don't intersect are good/bad and enjoyable/not enjoyable. What's the problem anyway?

PostPosted: July 19th, 2011, 4:31 am 
Post Master

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
I categorize things under good and bad along with enjoyable and not enjoyable. A bunch of intersecting sets, where the sets that don't intersect are good/bad and enjoyable/not enjoyable.

You say you like to think objectively, but you didn't specify who Nanoha is bad for. Do you call it bad based on it's eligibility to be called a piece of art? If so, how would I know that without knowing you personally?

Quote:
What's the problem anyway?

The problem is that I don't like being mislead by misused language. I also have nothing else to talk about.

PostPosted: July 19th, 2011, 4:45 am 

I did say it had an iffy plot. Choreography could have been better and the whole friendship thing was overdone. I might as well add that a lack of climactic fight sinks a wrench into the ending after all more intense duels we had between the two. The final battle was just them steamrolling through a bunch of generics.

It's a different spin on the magical genre but kinda stops short of being a good action flick. As a magical girl show for young girls, well I have no idea just what young girls are really into but I get the feeling most Nanoha fans aren't young girls.

You could say that I call something good based on how I would review it with a score. I might score something low, but does that mean I didn't enjoy it at all? Hell I enjoyed Duke Nukem Forever but I still think its a crap game.

PostPosted: July 19th, 2011, 7:46 pm 
Post Master

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
I did say it had an iffy plot. Choreography could have been better and the whole friendship thing was overdone. I might as well add that a lack of climactic fight sinks a wrench into the ending after all more intense duels we had between the two. The final battle was just them steamrolling through a bunch of generics.

It's a different spin on the magical genre but kinda stops short of being a good action flick. As a magical girl show for young girls, well I have no idea just what young girls are really into but I get the feeling most Nanoha fans aren't young girls.

You could say that I call something good based on how I would review it with a score. I might score something low, but does that mean I didn't enjoy it at all? Hell I enjoyed Duke Nukem Forever but I still think its a crap game.

So your opinion is dictated by observations of technical aspects? I talk a lot about technical aspects but I'm always just trying to find justifications for why I enjoy or don't enjoy something. Just because Duke Nukem Forever is primitive doesn't mean it should automatically be called bad. I can think of more than a few flawed games that I would put in a list of my top 50.

PostPosted: July 19th, 2011, 8:13 pm 

Umm I understand both your english well...and both make sense in their own way...this isn't a who can be more philosophical or sound more intelligent contest..

Stop being kids :whistle:

PostPosted: July 19th, 2011, 8:48 pm 
Post Master

Fresnokila wrote:
Umm I understand both your english well...and both make sense in their own way...this isn't a who can be more philosophical or sound more intelligent contest..

Stop being kids :whistle:

I may seem like an idiot to you, but you know nothing about me other than my usage of crass words for emphasis and jokes. I like to think and talk about language and psychology, and I clearly think it's more important than you do.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2063 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135 ... 138  Next