Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 17th, 2017, 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2063 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133 ... 138  Next
 Post subject: Re: What Are You Watching Now?
PostPosted: May 22nd, 2011, 5:30 am 
Post Master

Watched Ranma: Big Trouble in Nekonron, to see if it could be an improvement on the series. It was, but not enough. Still has most of the problems of the main series.

Also watched Pet Shop of Horrors which was decent. Sometimes I found myself bored, since most of the time is spent setting up and explaining the new characters in each episode, and that part just isn't interesting. The video quality also seems questionable, probably the result of ripping an old DVD.

Also watched 4 episodes of "Erementar Gerad" (BRILLIANT IDEA MARKETING TEAM!). Ugh... The assticity of this trash is horse cock gigantic.

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2011, 8:33 am 

I'll take the name Erementar Gerad over Elemental Gelade(last I remember that was the localized title) though. The former can at least be taken as some fictional language term, the later just sounds like a bad brand of jell-o.

I liked the manga a lot better although stopped reading at some point due to lack of scanslations. There were really awesome parts that got played down a lot in the anime. Like the fight between Cisqua and Wolt was majorly long and bloody and went from lots of gun shooting to fisticuffs, beating each other to a bloody pulp. With actual blood everywhere.

PostPosted: May 29th, 2011, 12:07 pm 
Resident Scholar

Mmsven wrote:
Also watched 4 episodes of "Erementar Gerad" (BRILLIANT IDEA MARKETING TEAM!).

What's that supposed to mean? What is "idea marketing"?

PostPosted: May 29th, 2011, 5:57 pm 
Post Master

42317 wrote:
What's that supposed to mean? What is "idea marketing"?

A better way to phrase this is that it's a brilliant idea by the marketing team, and of course I was being sarcastic. The Japanese name is Erementar Gerad, and it's retarded that the Japanese would make fun of their own pronunciation of English words. The English name is Elemental Gelade.

PostPosted: May 31st, 2011, 12:10 am 

Except there probably was no marketing team and it was just the manga-ka and his own naming sense.

PostPosted: June 5th, 2011, 7:46 am 
Resident Scholar

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
Mmsven wrote:
The Japanese name is Erementar Gerad, and it's retarded that the Japanese would make fun of their own pronunciation of English words.
Except there probably was no marketing team and it was just the manga-ka and his own naming sense.

I agree... cuz what makes you think the transcription エレメンタルジェレイド = "Eremetaru Jereido" was any sort of joke, other than your desparate need to find an interpretation for the usual Japanese foreign language inability and their lack of domestic shame for it? :lol:

PostPosted: June 7th, 2011, 4:07 am 
Post Master

19 episodes into City Hunter. I thought the first 10 or so episodes were pretty funny but after that it stopped coming up with new, good jokes and it devolved into nothing but ever-tiresome running gags. I'll try a few more episodes before deciding whether to drop it or not.

42317 wrote:
I agree... cuz what makes you think the transcription エレメンタルジェレイド = "Eremetaru Jereido" was any sort of joke, other than your desparate need to find an interpretation for the usual Japanese foreign language inability and their lack of domestic shame for it? :lol:

What I don't like about the name "Erementar Gerad" is that it seems like the creator himself thought of his work as a joke. I guess I shouldn't have expected something that I would like.

PostPosted: June 11th, 2011, 3:22 pm 
Resident Scholar

I tried to watch the Stand alone Complex that I got from Aaron's contest a long, long while ago, but I didn't get further than DVD #1. The problem is that #2 has a different sound setup - other than #1 it requires a DTS decoder which my player obviously does not have built in. All I get is "English Stereo". Yeah, fuck English stereo!
So, what I have to do is take it back to my home village where my full sound system is situated and watch it there. Maybe next weekend because it's my mom's birthday.
I'd like to write an elaborated opinion because I'm having a few issues with SAC's contents...

PostPosted: June 11th, 2011, 5:15 pm 
Major Contributor

The last thing i was trying to watch through and through was Zeta Gundam but the site i was watching them from is going through renovation and i only managed to see the first two episodes. I'm not in favor of replacing the real OP with an instrumental especially when it's obvious there was a vocal OP with the subtitles at the bottom. It also seems that some things happen almost at random, especially with Kamille. One thing is to be offended at a Titans' officer for making fun of your name but once he gets a Gundam, his acceptance into the good guys' team happens so quickly, there's hardly any consideration talk that would've made it more realistic. And for the record, Char is bad at keeping his identity secret. His favoritism towards the color red not only in his clothes but in his mobile suits and his skills in battle give him away easily. Even if others don't recognize him right away, they always make the "He's like the Red Comet" comment which settles it.

PostPosted: June 13th, 2011, 5:30 pm 

Finished watching Angel Beats!

Basically our main character Otonashi wakes up in a sort of limbo for lost souls modeled after a high school without a clue about his previous life or how he died. He runs into the Afterlife War Front, a group of 'students' battling a certain 'Angel' with their motive being to fight against God or fate for the unfair lives they led. Of course nothing is what it seems and anymore talk is spoiling the hell out of it.

====

The setting being well, an afterlife of sorts does seem rather somber but Angel Beats! has its ups and downs on the mood meter. Its also hard to classify its genre as it certainly has its crazy share of gunfights and knife battles and then throws in band performances and finding inner peace drama to move on into the afterlife. Odd mix definitely, but a mix that goes rather well I must say. Hilarious moments are pretty hilarious. Touching moments don't fail to touch. While some circumstances, parts of the setting and certain plot lines go beyond absurd it all wraps up into a decent package that has a little for everybody. Mix of action, comedy and character orientated drama.

Being 13 episodes long, it has a fair amount of characterization and development of the major characters. Although not everybody gets explained, minor characters and comedy reliefs mostly. There is actual closure which like seems to much to ask for these days! It does try to do a lot and might seem kinda messy but I think it wraps itself up pretty nicely.

PostPosted: June 20th, 2011, 3:47 pm 
Resident Scholar

42317 wrote:
I tried to watch the Stand alone Complex that I got from Aaron's contest a long, long while ago, but I didn't get further than DVD #1. The problem is that #2 has a different sound setup - other than #1 it requires a DTS decoder which my player obviously does not have built in.

My DVD player at "home home" also does not feature a DTS decoder. It can only take a few more years until I can finally watch the Stand-alone Complex. :sigh:

PostPosted: June 21st, 2011, 3:35 am 

Watching Utena. Up to episode.... somewhere in the 10s.

I have no idea what to think of it. Its completely bizarre and pretty campy at times, especially with their campy Apocalypse song before every duel. Its still pretty unique and therefore pretty entertaining in its own bizarre sorta way. But sometimes its pretty bipolar, having completely whack episodes then suddenly spinning around and putting on its straight face the episode after, making it hard to take some characters seriously. Like Nanami is often the buttmonkey but yet she gets her pretty serious moments and its like woah, contrast much?

I'll probably finish the series in time and give my final verdict then. Its kinda settling into a formulaic duel of the week right now so watching long stretches of it does grind on you.

PostPosted: June 21st, 2011, 4:00 am 
Post Master

42317 wrote:
My DVD player at "home home" also does not feature a DTS decoder. It can only take a few more years until I can finally watch the Stand-alone Complex. :sigh:

If you run your DVD through your computer and have a codec pack (everyone uses CCCP) and use a decent media player then it should work. You probably already have this stuff since I assume you've downloaded anime before. If it doesn't work with that setup then the disc is defective.

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2011, 9:06 am 
Major Contributor

While i was able to make better sense of episodes 3-5 of Zeta Gundam when i saw them last night, it wasn't 100 percent clear to me and it still looks like characters make their decisions without dwelling too much on it. Kamille is an emotional trainwreck most of the time, it's so friggin obvious Quattro is Char and the mobile suits are as confusing as ever in terms of which side they're on, especially the red ones that just look too similar. If i watch further episodes, i fear for my sanity and the risk of depression on my part since it's a dark show and it doesn't look like it'll lighten up anytime soon.

PostPosted: June 24th, 2011, 6:02 am 

I have no idea how I survived the whole of Zeta. It was awesome when Amuro came back but that was it. Anyway I don't think Char's paper thin disguises are meant to be taken seriously at any rate. But like its not like anyone who has never met him before would realize I mean. There were a number of other big shot pilots that went with red for their colour anyway like Johnny Ridden the Crimson Lightning most notably.

Its not really hard to tell the differences between the mechs really. Mono-eyes = Titans. Everything else = AEUG more or less. Sure you got the Rick Dias which looks really Zeonic and all, but like its not really the same sorta red glowing monoeye as what the Titans use.

===

Finished Utena. Have no idea what I watched. Was it entertaining? Yes. Did it make any sense? Absolutely not. All in all an average time waster. Could live without really. Also cars. Goddamn cars.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2063 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133 ... 138  Next