Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 17th, 2017, 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2063 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120 ... 138  Next
 Post subject: Re: What Are You Watching Now?
PostPosted: August 17th, 2010, 3:09 pm 
Resident Scholar

After about 40 episodes I have stopped watching Urusei Yatsura.
As much as I was hoping for it there is no point in going on unless you're a hardcore classic fan (one who thinks that because it was a major success it must be good in every Animephile's opinion). There is no whatsoever storyline and not a trace of character development. I thought Tezuka Osamu had properly introduced series-spanning storylines already in the sixties... well, Takahashi Rumiko seems to have been untouched by that in 1979 when Urusei Yatsura hit the screens.
There are episodes in which you have the impression that especially Ataru has learned something about life or relationships, but in the next episode he's just back to his old rogueish self. And since it is a special trait of Takahashi, many epsidodes are just left unconcluded, like when a man-sized sentient flower appears, or a vampire, they would be investigating the problem, then there would be a confrontation and the episode would end in some sort of gag or punch line - but the vampire or whatever creature had appeared would still be there, and no mention of him in later episodes.
This makes the series a visual collection of crazy ideas, which Takahashi is rightfully famous for, but there's no remaining value, and after a while it begins to drag. So, bye-bye, Lum, for now.
For I will try to see the "Beautiful Dreamer" movie - which was directed by another "darling" of mine: Oshii Mamoru. Takahashi + Oshii must be painful. In fact, this movie seems to have been so painful that devout Urusei Yatsura fans sent Oshii death threats and razorblades by mail. I'm looking forward to it.

PostPosted: August 18th, 2010, 3:55 pm 
Regular

thanks for the update! sad to hear that the show is episodic.
i have to really love the characters to watch anything episodic. with maybe only 15 minutes of watching parts of the show i would say that i hated every character on screen...

PostPosted: August 18th, 2010, 5:18 pm 
Resident Scholar

dbd_addict wrote:
with maybe only 15 minutes of watching parts of the show i would say that i hated every character on screen...

Oh my, it's not that bad imho... it's just like Doraemon, in a way that the characters see no sort of development, and that is very regrettable. A waste of efforts, because I generally liked the female characters.

PostPosted: August 18th, 2010, 7:17 pm 
Regular

yeah, just like Doraemon. i could not stand 5 minutes of that either.
of course I told my friend that and she had the expression on her face as if I had just filleted her pet dog and began eating it in front of her. apparently she grew up watching that freaky pocket creature. when she explained about his magic pocket i think i was speechless.

speaking of doraemon, I was walking through a market and a friend got all excited when she saw a vendor selling these little pancakes with ice cream inside. she began telling me about doraemon and how he either eats these things or something. what is with women and doraemon?! p.s. the doraemon ice cream pancake was so-so.

Do not get me started on Pikachu, Hello Kitty, and Miffy. Interestingly enough none of them are avid anime watchers.

PostPosted: August 19th, 2010, 6:46 pm 
Post Master

Madara and AD Police Files which were both mediocre, except for the third episode of AD Police Files, which was pretty interesting.

I've now finally finished all my bargain bin movies and can start watching quality anime.

PostPosted: August 20th, 2010, 12:41 am 

A lot of old 'classics' were only said to be good because there was not much else around at the time, so they were heralded as good because there wasn't much else to compare it to. And also there were those which were heralded as the first to do something, but really they don't exactly hold up all that well to today's standards. Fans still recommend them either because of some bandwagon syndrome or nostalgia factor. Sure we do get a lot of recycled rubbish these days but there are also new things that continue to push standards elsewhere.

Just watched Hidamari Sketch. This show is about girls doing absolutely nothing essentially. Some people might find it boring or relaxing, I belong to the later group. Just kinda kick back and watch absolutely nothing get done. One of those slice of life high school girl stories. Will continue shuffling through X365 and Hoshimitsu, the names of the 2nd and 3rd seasons respectively. Also it is quite interesting to see the tricks SHAFT puts into their shows.

PostPosted: August 20th, 2010, 6:33 am 
Resident Scholar

dbd_addict wrote:
yeah, just like Doraemon. i could not stand 5 minutes of that either.

I don't think anyone should judge Doraemon after only a few minutes or only one episode. But clearly, Doraemon is nothing to waste money or shelf space for.

dbd_addict wrote:
when she explained about his magic pocket i think i was speechless.

Not much different from a 1979 show called Sport Billy (see opening clip), transdimensional pocket and all that... :lol:

dbd_addict wrote:
Do not get me started on Pikachu, Hello Kitty, and Miffy. Interestingly enough none of them are avid anime watchers.

"Them"?

Mmsven wrote:
I've now finally finished all my bargain bin movies and can start watching quality anime.

I missed your evaluative brutality. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2010, 7:20 pm 
Lurker

Last thing I watched for the first time was Lucky Star, a few weeks ago - since then I've re-watched all three series of Full Metal Panic!, which I'm back in love with, and the occasional episode of Gundam Wing, for nostalgia's sake. Eagerly awaiting any news of the 4th series for FMP, though! :D

PostPosted: August 31st, 2010, 6:03 pm 
Major Contributor

Just got done watching X the movie, Japanese audio with subs. Though the story is definitely rushed as it's only a movie, the visuals are stunning. If i could pick one anime movie that could definitely do well with a 3D transfer, this is the one film i would choose for the win.

PostPosted: September 1st, 2010, 12:54 am 

42317 wrote:
After about 40 episodes I have stopped watching Urusei Yatsura.
As much as I was hoping for it there is no point in going on unless you're a hardcore classic fan ...

I feel the same way about UY. Ranma 1/2 isn't much better, but I still laugh when I watch the episodes. It just doesn't matter if you've seen all of the season or not because there's no story to miss, just gags. Most of Takahashi's works would be suitable for US sitcoms except for the crazy special effects requirements of flying girls and water transformations... One critical exception- Maison Ikkoku. It starts out like the others but at a certain point, Takahashi can't seem to resist resolving all of the plot threads and tie each one up in a nice bow! I love it.

42317 wrote:
For I will try to see the "Beautiful Dreamer" movie - which was directed by another "darling" of mine: Oshii Mamoru. Takahashi + Oshii must be painful. In fact, this movie seems to have been so painful that devout Urusei Yatsura fans sent Oshii death threats and razorblades by mail. I'm looking forward to it.

I was told this is the best of the UY movies, but I have never seen it. I'm not sure if the best of the UY movies means it is really a great movie or if it simply relative (as in the best of the Leprechaun movies). I'll look forward to your review!

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
A lot of old 'classics' were only said to be good because there was not much else around at the time, so they were heralded as good because there wasn't much else to compare it to. And also there were those which were heralded as the first to do something, but really they don't exactly hold up all that well to today's standards. Fans still recommend them either because of some bandwagon syndrome or nostalgia factor. Sure we do get a lot of recycled rubbish these days but there are also new things that continue to push standards elsewhere.

So true. I can't help but feel this way about Astroboy, Gallforce and Fushigi Yuugi. All decent shows for their eras but not really holding up over time. Of course, I can't escape the flip-side phenomena either. At the risk of blasphemy, I can't get into Bleach because it just feels like I am watching Dragon Ball Z (long story arcs to defeat a powerful bad guy, arc ends, must power up and find an even MORE powerful bad guy)... I suppose the same could also be said for Naruto and One Piece as well. Yes, the animation is much better and the themes are different, but I can't shake the haunting feeling that I know what will happen next and that I've seen it before. I probably need to force myself to watch more than a couple of episodes...

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
Just watched Hidamari Sketch. This show is about girls doing absolutely nothing essentially. Some people might find it boring or relaxing, I belong to the later group. Just kinda kick back and watch absolutely nothing get done. One of those slice of life high school girl stories. Will continue shuffling through X365 and Hoshimitsu, the names of the 2nd and 3rd seasons respectively. Also it is quite interesting to see the tricks SHAFT puts into their shows.

Sounds similar to Ichigo Marshimallow?
My duaghters loved that show, so if it is similar, I'll have to track it down. What do you mean by "tricks"? Animation short-cuts? Story devices? Just curious.

rory_okane wrote:
Last thing I watched for the first time was Lucky Star, a few weeks ago - since then I've re-watched all three series of Full Metal Panic!, which I'm back in love with, and the occasional episode of Gundam Wing, for nostalgia's sake. Eagerly awaiting any news of the 4th series for FMP, though! :D

My kids thought Lucky Star was OK, but didn't like it enough for me to make an effort watching it. My friends won't stop raving about FMP, so I suppose I'll have to give it a shot soon. As for Gundam Wing, you make me feel old! I didn't like that show as much as Gundam 0083 (see the discussion above about misplaced nostalgia :whistle: ) so I couldn't get into it. It also came out mid-way through my anime career, so mentally, I still want to say its a new show!

G-Core wrote:
Just got done watching X the movie, Japanese audio with subs. Though the story is definitely rushed as it's only a movie, the visuals are stunning. If i could pick one anime movie that could definitely do well with a 3D transfer, this is the one film i would choose for the win.

Truly stunning eye-candy! In 3D, I'd feel like I was going to get feathers or blood in my eyes or something. :sweat:

++First Project: Princess Code++ ++MIA 2009++
Just released a non-H, Animal Game for the iPhone August 2010!

PostPosted: September 1st, 2010, 2:31 pm 

I also stay away from the big names like Naruto and Bleach. They don't look like they are ending anytime soon and probably would have ended earlier if not for their immense popularity. Just feels like they are being milked beyond their potential value and people continue reading/watching it because they have sunk too deep to get out.

As for the animation tricks within Hidamari Sketch, its just little random things here and there. Like when a doorbell rings, there'd be these ripples coming out of it for no apparent reason besides execution. And when one girl got her hair done up at a salon and it got all sparkly, we'd get occasional pans to the letterboxes of their apartments and her letterbox will be sparkly as well. Just little random things like this that adds this variation to the visuals that makes things more interesting than they actually are.

PostPosted: September 6th, 2010, 4:19 pm 
Resident Scholar

PunkDaddy wrote:
"Beautiful Dreamer" (...) I'll look forward to your review!

Thanks. But first I got to find it somewhere...

PunkDaddy wrote:
Storm_Shinobi wrote:
A lot of old 'classics' were only said to be good because there was not much else around at the time

So true. I can't help but feel this way about Astroboy, Gallforce and Fushigi Yuugi.

GallForce is a solid 80s show, at least imho. But I have only seen fragments, a long, long time ago.
Fushigi Yûgi is not that old and I dare say there were other quality alternatives to choose from. Of course Fushigi Yûgi is cheesy at times, but it has very strong dramatic elements which I really like. "Made by Watase Yû" says it all. Watase Yû is not a Mangaka, she's a psycho-terrorist with a pencil. :lol:

PostPosted: September 6th, 2010, 5:50 pm 

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
I also stay away from the big names like Naruto and Bleach. They don't look like they are ending anytime soon and probably would have ended earlier if not for their immense popularity. Just feels like they are being milked beyond their potential value and people continue reading/watching it because they have sunk too deep to get out.

I think every generation winds up with a show like this that goes on and on and on. Pokemon has dragged on for several generations so far...

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
As for the animation tricks within Hidamari Sketch, its just little random things here and there. Like when a doorbell rings, there'd be these ripples coming out of it for no apparent reason besides execution. And when one girl got her hair done up at a salon and it got all sparkly, we'd get occasional pans to the letterboxes of their apartments and her letterbox will be sparkly as well. Just little random things like this that adds this variation to the visuals that makes things more interesting than they actually are.

NEAT! I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the recap.

42317 wrote:
PunkDaddy wrote:
Storm_Shinobi wrote:
A lot of old 'classics' were only said to be good because there was not much else around at the time

So true. I can't help but feel this way about Astroboy, Gallforce and Fushigi Yuugi.

GallForce is a solid 80s show, at least imho. But I have only seen fragments, a long, long time ago.

GallForce was fun in 1992, but I think Megazone 23 holds up a little better because of the sightly better animation. For the time it was an A or B title, but now it drops down to the C range. Kimagure Orange Road seems to hold up well for me but this is probably one where I am biased because I loved it so much.

42317 wrote:
Fushigi Yûgi is not that old and I dare say there were other quality alternatives to choose from. Of course Fushigi Yûgi is cheesy at times, but it has very strong dramatic elements which I really like. "Made by Watase Yû" says it all. Watase Yû is not a Mangaka, she's a psycho-terrorist with a pencil. :lol:

:clap: Hahaha! Very true. I think the cheesy aspect has been recaptured with better animation and maybe even the drama. However, perhaps she is the best example of them put together? I hadn't thought of it that way. I was just thinking Shojo drama...

++First Project: Princess Code++ ++MIA 2009++
Just released a non-H, Animal Game for the iPhone August 2010!

PostPosted: September 10th, 2010, 9:57 pm 
Regular

42317 wrote:

dbd_addict wrote:

"Them"?
girls who adore the cutsey characters and have all the products but have not watched any anime of them.

PostPosted: September 25th, 2010, 4:39 pm 
Resident Scholar

During a visit at my grandparents' I watched a few episodes of "What's new, Scooby Doo?", including the special "A Scooby Doo Valentine".
In the episode the quintet go back home for the Valentine season and are soon suspected of the abduction of several teenagers, as a witness swears that she saw them.
Turns out that Shaggy has a former girlfriend whom he left to go on tour with the Mystery Machine, and her new boyfriend, JC Chasez (yes, the NSYNC guy), plotted against them to destroy Shaggy's good image. When it comes to the unmasking scene we learn that JC hired a number of extras to act and dress like the Scooby gang, and Daphne comments:
"He had me played by an extra? Did Sarah Michelle Gellar have something better to do?"
It's probably the best joke I ever got out of a Scooby Doo episode.
I was also surprised to read in the credits that Dan Castellaneta had a guest role as the local Sheriff. I wouldn't have guessed it myself because I only know his trademark Homer Simpson performance.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2063 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120 ... 138  Next