Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 22nd, 2017, 7:59 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FLCL
PostPosted: January 26th, 2009, 2:53 pm 

It was one of the series that lied on my HD and, while I had no internet, I decided to take a look.

Unfortunately, the series left me a bit cold. It is true that it has very innovative elements and the Western influences are very well chosen, and its technical aspects are exquisitely designed (graphical aspect+music), and the series itself is enjoyable (I watched it all in a row)... but I still did not find it memorable, nor humorous.
Maybe the character interaction is at fault: Naota seems too stern, Mamimi acts like the mother that a character like Naota has (depressed, immature and yonky), and Haruko is the (im)perfect mixture between Excel (from Excel Saga) and Guu (from Jungle wa itsumo Hale nochi Guu): her alien quality seems to act as a bareer as to what is integration in the plot. She's more a free rider than anything else. The cocktail of them three does make surge a series with more parallels to Evangelion than one would think, in its deep core message, which the wacky envelope does not cover well.
Nothing to laugh about there, except for Naota's father ( a more conventional prototype of "uncaring father"), the wacky manga-like scenes and the hilarious bullet-time scenes (possibly the best part of the show).
I admit I have to take some blame too: I'm pretty certain that there are cultural references that I did not get, and which may trigger your mind to laughter if you see them in the moment. But the ones I still found were not humorous either...

Surreal? Yeah. Sci-fi? No doubt. Comedy? No way.

Post subject: Re: FLCL
PostPosted: January 26th, 2009, 4:04 pm 

FLCL is a series where you either love it or hate it. Now imagine trying to read that series...the manga, now that was fun.

:roll:

PostPosted: January 26th, 2009, 5:25 pm 

zero_chaos wrote:
FLCL is a series where you either love it or hate it. Now imagine trying to read that series...the manga, now that was fun.

:roll:

Well, my problem is that I don't hate it. I just found no point in it. Like... intrascendent. And that's what has puzzled me, given that I had read it was a love-hate thing like .Hack//sign. I tend to like those risky bets.

PostPosted: January 26th, 2009, 6:55 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
You're not alone Bloodfairy, I have the same sort of neutral disinterest in FLCL as you do. The OVA itself was sort of interesting, but I never really found anything very funny, at all. Of course that's a common problem I have with anime comedies, FLCL being no exception.

After watching it the first time I have yet to have any interest in checking it out again, nothing in it really compels me to check it out again. Even if it is only 6 episodes long.

PostPosted: January 27th, 2009, 1:55 pm 
Resident Scholar

It's true that FLCL is considered a comedy by many Anime fans, maybe it was even advertized as a comedy... be that as it may, I cannot agree with that statement. I don't think it was especially funny.
I did, however, like the whackyness that it offered, the many crazy details, moments, and elements, and, last but not least, the obvious sexy overtones it implied and involved, altogether with great voice acting and, as mentioned, a great soundtrack.
For example, regarding Ninamori I could not help but think that she could as well be just one of the girls from the tabloids, engaging in Enjô Kôsai ("compensated dating") out of bourgeoise boredom and anti-parochial pseudo-rebellion. I thought the characters in general were very interesting and three-dimensional.

PostPosted: January 27th, 2009, 6:48 pm 

42317 wrote:
It's true that FLCL is considered a comedy by many Anime fans, maybe it was even advertized as a comedy... be that as it may, I cannot agree with that statement.

I agree with that statement. It was very wacky but I felt like it wasn't really a comedy series at all.

PostPosted: January 27th, 2009, 9:30 pm 

Hmm. I have not seen the show, but I love the music by The Pillows, so it was on my list of things to see. Is it worth keeping on the list? Perhaps I should phrase that more specifically. Assume eventually I will watch everything ever made, just in a priority of good stuff furst.

Which of the following should come first:

FLCL
Evangelion
Boogiepop Phantom
Berserk

They all have been fairly popular at one time and I am interested in them to some degree. Not that I have a ton of time, hence the request to help with prioritization. Slightly off topic, but since y'all are talking about FLCL anyway...

++First Project: Princess Code++ ++MIA 2009++
Just released a non-H, Animal Game for the iPhone August 2010!

PostPosted: January 27th, 2009, 9:56 pm 

PunkDaddy wrote:
FLCL
Evangelion
Boogiepop Phantom
Berserk

FLCL is only 6 eps.
Evangelion is 26 eps.
Boogiepop Phantom is 12 eps.
Berserk is 25 eps.

I would try and watch FLCL since the eps are only 20 some minutes long so you can finish them pretty quick. Evangelion is pretty good but has some big problems I think. Berserk is a wonderful series that will leave you wanting to read the manga. Boogiepop Phantom I have never seen but the animation looks good.

PostPosted: January 27th, 2009, 10:12 pm 
Resident Admin

PunkDaddy wrote:
Hmm. I have not seen the show, but I love the music by The Pillows, so it was on my list of things to see. Is it worth keeping on the list? Perhaps I should phrase that more specifically. Assume eventually I will watch everything ever made, just in a priority of good stuff furst.

They all have been fairly popular at one time and I am interested in them to some degree. Not that I have a ton of time, hence the request to help with prioritization. Slightly off topic, but since y'all are talking about FLCL anyway...

My list would go something like this:
Berserk (Not to be watched with the kids I'm afraid) - What can I say, it's my favorite series :gatsu:
Boogiepop Phantom - A distant second, for me anyway. I liked the series, but I wasn't crazy about it. Definitely not your usual anime series though.
FLCL/EVA - Really depends on what you're looking for. I'm one of those people who despises Eva, but I am in the minority and many people believe it is one of the better/best series out there so you will probably have to figure out that one for yourself. Not a huge fan of FLCL as I said above, but I would watch it over EVA personally.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2009, 1:58 am 
Lurker

I personally enjoyed it. There were some funny parts here and there and the general wackiness gave me a chuckle.
I wouldn't call it a comedy although most people do categorize as one. You either like it or am indifferent to it.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2009, 4:46 am 
Post Master

CommonDeer wrote:
You either like it or am indifferent to it.

I hated it with all my soul. I felt that it wasted and dragged out my 2 hours. I didn't even care for the soundtrack.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2009, 2:17 pm 

Mmsven wrote:
CommonDeer wrote:
You either like it or am indifferent to it.

I hated it with all my soul. I felt that it wasted and dragged out my 2 hours. I didn't even care for the soundtrack.

Wow! Such strong opinions. While I certainly disagree regarding the soundtrack (but I may be biased because it is Japanese punk), you have all convinced me to push it down the queue a bit.

zero_chaos wrote:
I would try and watch FLCL since the eps are only 20 some minutes long so you can finish them pretty quick. Evangelion is pretty good but has some big problems I think. Berserk is a wonderful series that will leave you wanting to read the manga. Boogiepop Phantom I have never seen but the animation looks good.

Acmurphy wrote:
My list would go something like this:
Berserk (Not to be watched with the kids I'm afraid) - What can I say, it's my favorite series :gatsu:
Boogiepop Phantom - A distant second, for me anyway. I liked the series, but I wasn't crazy about it. Definitely not your usual anime series though.
FLCL/EVA - Really depends on what you're looking for. I'm one of those people who despises Eva, but I am in the minority and many people believe it is one of the better/best series out there so you will probably have to figure out that one for yourself. Not a huge fan of FLCL as I said above, but I would watch it over EVA personally.

Thanks for the advice kind sirs! Hmm. Sounds like Berserk should be top of my list (After Kino's Journey of course! :D Thanks Acmurphy!). Regarding NSFKids, is it worse than Akira or Braveheart or The Lord of the Rings? The kids have already seen all of those (what can I say, I'm a bit agressive in my parenting style...). Is it primarily violence or is there a good deal of sexual situations as well?

++First Project: Princess Code++ ++MIA 2009++
Just released a non-H, Animal Game for the iPhone August 2010!

PostPosted: January 28th, 2009, 7:01 pm 
Resident Scholar

PunkDaddy wrote:
I have not seen [FLCL], but I love the music by The Pillows, so it was on my list of things to see. Is it worth keeping on the list?

Y E S

PunkDaddy wrote:
FLCL
Evangelion
Boogiepop Phantom
Berserk

In my opinion it's okay to stick to that order.
Berserk looks much like a gorefest to me that I might have enjoyed 15 years ago.
I'll give it a try once I have nothing else to watch.

PunkDaddy wrote:
Wow! Such strong opinions.

The extreme opinions alone must make you curious. :D

PunkDaddy wrote:
I may be biased because it is Japanese punk

The Japanese have strange definitions about what punk music is.
I'd say The Pillows are a form of progressive rock, but never, not for a second, punk music. But a self-proclaimed punk band at the Hirosaki University culture festival played very much the same, Pillow-like, style. They are strange over there.

PunkDaddy wrote:
Is it primarily violence or is there a good deal of sexual situations as well?

Hm... I remember a single, short depiction of butt-rape in the Manga. Just one picture taking up a single page.
Probably never to be seen in the Anime. :lol:

PostPosted: January 28th, 2009, 8:53 pm 
Resident Admin

PunkDaddy wrote:
Thanks for the advice kind sirs! Hmm. Sounds like Berserk should be top of my list (After Kino's Journey of course! :D Thanks Acmurphy!). Regarding NSFKids, is it worse than Akira or Braveheart or The Lord of the Rings? The kids have already seen all of those (what can I say, I'm a bit agressive in my parenting style...). Is it primarily violence or is there a good deal of sexual situations as well?

Berserk is very bloody, but it isn't graphic bloody. People sometimes lose limbs, often get sliced open and such, but all you ever see is blood, there aren't internal organs spewing all over the place or anything. I wouldn't say it's worse than Akira or Braveheart in that respect (actually Akira is probably a lot more visually disturbing in that respect, especially at the end). There isn't too much sex-wise, there are a couple of scenes but they aren't explicit and ~four scenes with upper body nudity. No worse than in Akira when the girl gets her shirt ripped off really.

There is one scene that may be a bit too much for the kids, but it is so integral to the series and the events which surround it that you can't really not watch it. Not that is is much more explicit than the others, per say, but there is a lot more behind what happens emotionally. If you can't tell, I am really trying not to give anything away here :mrgreen:

If you like the series you should check out the manga, it's much more explicit than the anime is, (pagan sex orgy comes to mind), but it is one of the highest rated series out there:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... hp?id=2298

The scene 42317 is referring to is in the manga when Gatsu is a little kid (12ish I would guess) and his uncle/guardian Gambino sells him to a fellow soldier (Donaven I believe) for a night. (They're all part of a mercenary band). Gatsu gets his revenge during the next battle though, when he stabs Donaven in the face. That whole situation is axed from the anime series though.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2009, 1:06 am 

I think FLCL it's all about the crazy animation and the soundtrack!! The plot is original.
But yea, the music in it is amazing. The Pillows remain to this day one of my favorite bands.