Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 20th, 2017, 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dennô Coil
PostPosted: July 12th, 2008, 3:51 pm 
Resident Scholar

The series just finished in our Anime Club, so why not write a few lines about it?

"Dennô Coil" takes place in a, well, not so distant future, in a town called Daikoku (usually the name of a Buddhist guardian deity often found in front of temples). The real world has a cyber-overlay, so to speak, which means there are bits and bytes running about in the form of cyberpets and intrusion and fragmentation countermeasures like Satchii, which you can only see if you wear a special form of glasses, which seemingly all kids have. From so-called "obsolete space" come forth the so-called "Illegals", pseudo-physical manifestations of corrupt data which somehow endanger the system's stability. Something's wrong with the system lately, at least one kid has disappeared in cyberspace, others are experiencing difficulties like losing consciousness just like that, and all of them had been wearing cyberglasses.

The protagonists are mostly a bunch of kids in 6th grade (elementary school), Yûko #1 who's usually called Yasako (because her name has the Yû-Kanji which is also read "yasashii" = "gentle"), her little sister Kyoko, her cyberdog Densuke, and her grandmother called "Megabaa", Fumie, Daichi, Denpa, Haraken and his 17yo aunt. Opposing them is Yûko #2, called "Isako" (because her Yû-Kanji is also read "Isamashii" = "courageous") with a bunch of elementary school underlings the names of whom I have forgotten.

Isako is hunting "Kirabugs" in order to open a link to certain parts of the virtual world, where she hopes to find her brother whose cyberbody was lost in that space, while his physical body slumbers in a coma. To achieve that Isako engages in highly illegal hacking and severly disrupts the system. Haraken on the other side has lost his girlfriend Kanna to cyberspace. It looks like she was run over by a cyber-navigated car as she was crossing a certain street on her way into obsolete space. Haraken is plagued by his bad conscience, because he had a fight with Kanna that day, which is why she attempted to find said link to obsolete space alone, and hopes to find her on the other side.

Much of what is going on is linked to Yasako's family, which is why she somehow stands in the middle of it all. Her grandfather was an important cyberdesigner, so to speak, and her grandmother is still active in the hacking and anti-hacking business, investigating the latest developments (as mentioned above).

I think I can't say much more without giving away major spoilers.
Well, I patiently watched all of it and in the end I could say that it was well worth the time. But it would have been even better if the series only had 13 episodes instead of 26. During the first half of the show, almost nothing happens, it's character interactions and fillers all the way (although I admit that the episode about the facial hair was priceless). Only in the second half does the tempo increase and the episodes along with their cliffhangers become really exciting, but still I'd say that "Dennô Coil" was needlessly hyped.
I like the flexibility of the concept, given different costumes it might as well be a fantasy story about different dimensions, mages and conjurors. Furthermore the topic of life and death and afterlife can hardly be missed, which is very interesting.

Another question that bugged me was, why are the protagonists kids? It kinda bothered me. Why not make them computer science students of about 19 years of age? Most of the time I thought they were not acting much like kids, especially Isako, whose voice (Kuwashima Hôko, also known for her roles as Kirika in "Noir" and Maron in "Kamikaze Kaitô Jeanne", where she did not act as "mature") is far too deep to come across realistically as a 12yo, apart from her general appearance that makes her the hottest 12yo I have ever encountered in Anime. The same goes for Haraken's aunt, a 17yo school girl (Noda Junko, best known for her role as Konno Mitsune in "Love Hina"), who is a municipal top manager of cyber security with a high degree of responsibility and administration power - hell, she's not even an adult yet. Her voice is also a bit too old for my tastes. What's the point in pointing out that these kids were more mature than the others? I cannot remember any need for the characters to have a certain age - maybe except that the writer felt that Isako's background story should probably not be dragged across too many years.

Technically everything is fine. Design and animation are solid, the soundtrack has quality, and the voice acting was well done (with the exceptions that I mentioned above). Especially Orikasa Fumiko (Yasako) and Yajima Akiko (Kyoko) were to my liking, both again showing their great talent. I recognized Fumiko by listening, although her voice is a little different from Pacifica's (Scrapped Princess) and Mikan's (Atashi'n'chi), which is cool because she is able to do different voices for characters in the same age-group. Akiko again proved worthy of her Seiyû goddess status, because I did not recognize her at all until I read this Anime's full cast a few minutes ago. It happens pretty rarely that Akiko can be recognized by listening as she seems to be able to change her voice at will. I'm impressed.

I'd say "Dennô Coil" is worth watching - once. It's not bad, not at all, but it's also nothing especially outstanding imho. Right now I cannot imagine any reason to watch the whole thing again.

Post subject: Re: Dennô Coil
PostPosted: July 14th, 2008, 3:16 am 
Regular

buko satchi!!!

i enjoyed it and agree i would not watch it a second time. i cannot remember how/why i came across watching the series but i know it was not hyped up for me. i found the idea neat and the anime style cute. it could not compete as a good mystery anime but it held my interest. SATCHI!!!
42317 wrote:
Another question that bugged me was, why are the protagonists kids? It kinda bothered me. Why not make them computer science students of about 19 years of age? Most of the time I thought they were not acting much like kids, especially Isako, whose voice (Kuwashima Hôko, also known for her roles as Kirika in "Noir" and Maron in "Kamikaze Kaitô Jeanne", where she did not act as "mature") is far too deep to come across realistically as a 12yo, apart from her general appearance that makes her the hottest 12yo I have ever encountered in Anime. The same goes for Haraken's aunt, a 17yo school girl (Noda Junko, best known for her role as Konno Mitsune in "Love Hina"), who is a municipal top manager of cyber security with a high degree of responsibility and administration power - hell, she's not even an adult yet. Her voice is also a bit too old for my tastes. What's the point in pointing out that these kids were more mature than the others? I cannot remember any need for the characters to have a certain age - maybe except that the writer felt that Isako's background story should probably not be dragged across too many years.
i never really gave it thought about the ages of the children and their maturity level, let alone their voices. the only reason i could imagine why they chose those ages is for their target audience. this allowed them to use those plot devices of cutesy stuff like the pets and robots... 19 year old cyber pet detectives with grandma giving them super code does not seem right. plus a 19 year old boy rival detective proclaiming that "girls are gross". :p

PostPosted: July 16th, 2008, 8:55 pm 
Resident Scholar

dbd_addict wrote:
i never really gave it thought about the ages of the children and their maturity level, let alone their voices. the only reason i could imagine why they chose those ages is for their target audience.

I don't think that 10-14yo kids are a grateful target group when it comes to pondering the possibilities of an afterlife, because I dare say that "the other side" is nothing much else, although they do have a neat explanation why it's there. That group can watch it and possibly enjoy the superficial topics, but my overall impression is that it would be too deep for kids.

PostPosted: July 25th, 2008, 2:01 pm 
Regular

42317 wrote:
I don't think that 10-14yo kids are a grateful target group when it comes to pondering the possibilities of an afterlife, because I dare say that "the other side" is nothing much else, although they do have a neat explanation why it's there. That group can watch it and possibly enjoy the superficial topics, but my overall impression is that it would be too deep for kids.
wha? after-wha?
ya, you can put me under the group who enjoy the superficial topics that are not too deep for kids. :)

buko satchi!!

PostPosted: July 26th, 2008, 9:00 pm 
Resident Scholar

dbd_addict wrote:
buko satchi!!

"Boku" da yo, "boku".
"Buko" means "armory". :D

PostPosted: July 27th, 2008, 2:25 pm 
Regular

oh my! thanks!

i guess i really should start watching anime again.
or at least get a japanese girlfriend again.