Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 22nd, 2017, 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alien 9
PostPosted: September 19th, 2009, 6:27 pm 
Resident Scholar

I watched this title because of the latest "Buried Treasure" Article on ANN.

Yuri, a 6th grader, is elected into the Anti-Alien Team against her will. However.
She joins the team which consists of her, Kumi, and Kasumi. Kumi and Kasumi do the job out of their free will, especially Kasumi who excels at anything she does, be it sports or arts, and seems to blossom when confronted with a challenge.
The girls are supported by some of their teachers who seem to have made intimate experiences with the task, too.

Yuri is mostly a whiner. She doesn't want to do the job and the job is disgusting for two major reasons:
1. The enemy aliens splatter their blood and innards all over the girls when they die.
2. The girls are enabled to do the alien fighting by symbionts looking like winged frogs, transcribed "bôgu", which led the US translators to write them as "Borg"... but it has nothing to do with Star Trek. Anyways, this symbionts sit on the girls' heads like helmets and feed upon the sweat emitted on the back of their hosts. In return the frogs protect the hosts by shooting screw-wires from their feathers or by creating a shield with them.

Now, this Anime is only four episodes long, which is said to be half of the Manga, and this fact is a let-down, a big, fat minus. It becomes interesting once the alien "Yellow Knife" appears and manipulates the girls by confronting them with their weak point, i.e. fear of loneliness. The "conclusion" of the four episodes leaves a shallow taste, as it is very clear that the story is far from being over, and I find some hints at further developments somewhat unsettling and disturbing. That goes especially for the scenes that they show in the final ending when the credits start rolling, because I feel a great desire to see the whole thing - for which I have to get the Manga somehow, and I must because it might steal my sleep.

As ANN points out the show is not more horrifying than other series of the genre, but there is indeed something touching in it, and I cannot put my finger on it and say, "that's then cause for my uneasiness". Or wait... now that I think about it I think that last shot of Kumi is the most concrete reason that I can think of.

I say: Expect no miracles or revelations, but watch it once.

As for the Seiyû, Shimizu Kaori (Kumi) is somewhat better known, and Shitaya Noriko (Kasumi) has also had a number of lead roles, but Ihata Juri (Yuri) has only a total of eight roles under her belt and seems rather unknown in the business, although I am sure I have heard that same wheep before, but not in the Anime that are shown in her profile.
In lesser roles Alien 9 features Hisakawa Aya (Hisakawa-sensei) and Sakuma Rei (principal).