Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 17th, 2017, 7:11 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pani Poni Dash
PostPosted: January 16th, 2008, 9:01 pm 
Resident Scholar

I've watched all of the episodes by now so I thought I might say a few things about it.

The show is... wacky. Very wacky.
Rebecca Miyamoto is a genius MIT graduate who has decided to become a highschool teacher and is hired by Momotsuki (Peach Moon) High, where she meets her class, consisting of Rei, Kurumi, Himeko, Sayaka, Miyako, Ichijô-san (who apparantly has no first name) and... the nameless rest of the class.
The point is: She's only 11 years old, and she has to deal with the gap between having the reason of a genius and the soul and body of a child.
There are other classes with more, mostly female, characters, and the absence of boys - despite two exceptions - evokes an "Azumanga Daiô" feeling, and as far as the characters are concerned that feeling is not completely wrong. But there it ends.

Don't get me wrong - the characters' interactions are really funny, laughter is guaranteed, the show has a great soundtrack with really good songs, which is due to the thing I like most about the Anime: a first class voice act - the songs are sung by the voice actresses. The show features some of my favorites, like Orikasa Fumiko, Yukino Satsuki, Horie Yui, and Higuchi Chieko, and some new names have as of now joined their ranks. The voice act is just great. I could cry with joy.

But in my opinion, there's too much fun in the show. At least, there's too much intended fun.
There are many references to Anime, games and movies, at such a high rate per episode that it might deter viewers who are not quite hardcore Anime/game freaks. Just look at the blackboard and read all the mecha-related comments you will find there. And the blackboard changes everytime it is shown. You need to sit there with your thumb on the "Pause" button of your remote control, effectively doubling the length of the series if you're out to get it all!

All the characters are very amiable and cute, but imho there's too many of them. The characterization of the girls is a patchwork of discrete scenes, there's hardly any spotlight on one of them, and up to the half I was sometimes a bit confused. But that could just be me.

There are sparks of a plot, but the sparks are not used to make a fire, it's just non-stop parody gag wackyness. When towards the end a global killer comet appears the girls of class C are turned into ranger-like fighters who are to steer a giant robot, but next they give you a completely unrelated episode set in the Edo period! It's the greatest PPD episode of them all, but it adds to the wackyness and disrupts the storytelling.

Haha, despite all these negative points I really love the show. But other than after 5 episodes I'm not so sure anymore whether I want to show PPD in our Anime Club, I think it's too special.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2008, 7:08 pm 
Resident Scholar

After consulting a dictionary I found a slight subtitle mistake in the "Edo period" episode.
Sayaka is usually referred to as "Rokugô" and in this particular episode, even "Ao no Rokugô", which is the Japanese title of a show that was released in the west under the title "Blue Submarine No. 6".

So much for similarities. The subbers translated "Rokugô of the Blue", but the Kanji for "Ao" seemed strange to me, so I rechecked and found it was the other color called "Ao" - which means "green" (like grass).

So don't be confused if you learned "Ao = Blue" and hear Japanese call the traffic lights "Ao" as well. Same pronuinciation, different Kanji, different meaning.

I wonder how the Japanese, who, during the culturally important Heian period (AD 794-1192), had a catalogue of several thousand colors, could have made this linguistic decision? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 11th, 2008, 4:10 am 
Regular

pani poni dash is pure fun. character anime is really all i enjoy anymore. if anybody can recommend similar anime i would be grateful.

Post subject: Re: Pani Poni Dash
PostPosted: May 28th, 2012, 8:40 am 
Resident Scholar

Good old times... PPD ran in the Anime club about four years ago and it was pretty successfull.
Lately I thought of watching it again with a friend but I had to drop the idea... as I said: If you're not very familiar with Japanese Anime and pop culture you'll be lost in this show and watching it with someone who has no basic "education" about these topics would make it an explanathon, so to speak. We watched Spiral instead and felt entertained enough. :sweat:

Post subject: Re: Pani Poni Dash
PostPosted: May 30th, 2012, 1:51 am 

I watched this fairly recently and honestly, I thought it was a bit way too out there. I've sat through some of SHAFT's more recent craziness, but none of it tops PPD in randomness and looniness.

It's pretty much a very special case of anime. Personally not my thing, won't ever watch it again but I managed to last through it.