Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 20th, 2017, 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: What's wrong with most new anime?
PostPosted: April 28th, 2007, 10:36 am 

Yep I've opened yet another thread for people to bitch about something but I think we all have an oppinion on this one.

What is wrong with most new anime?

For me there are a number of things so i'm going to put them in a countdown.

5. Most of the characters are cut and pasted, mean most girls outside of hair color look exactly the same.
4. the characters are way to similar and static, so many never really change and you keep finding pretty much the same character over and over again.
3. The art in general is getting too similar, in other words I'm tired of big eye and bigger boobs.
2. The jokes are the same jokes in almost every series, and I'm tired of guys being called perverts for being guys and getting smacked.
1. my biggest gripe about anime is that most of have terrible endings that destroy the series, like Full Metal Alchemist, or Mabohoro, or Mahoromantic. Mean how hard is it to write a descent ending!? I can do it in my sleep! I've only seen two or three 'new' anime series with endings that were dead one or even close to good. Most have either terrible ending or an ending that really isn't an ending at all but more like an oh I'm tired of writing this so I stop now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 28th, 2007, 11:48 pm 

I think its a mostly a case of, since we have been watching anime for so long, stuff just seems less amusing the more we watch.

Anyway theres heaps of anime out there and this would be generalizing. Just stop watching just about anything and carefully pick out stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 29th, 2007, 2:35 am 
Major Contributor

Yeah, anime these days certainly are not as creative or as original as they used to be. But this is to be expected. There just simply aren't many truly new ideas around anymore so most good anime these days are good not for their originality but for their quality of execution and storytelling. Generic shounen and shoujo will always be popular among the youngsters. Recently I've found myself pulling farther away from the more generic shounen and more towards drama series and comedy series.

There is still quite a lot of good stuff out there however. We saw this a couple of seasons ago with Haruhi, and we're seeing it this season with Nodame Cantabile, and stuff like Hayate no Gotoku. Even the shounen side of things has some bright spots with stuff like D. Gray Man, Gintama, and Darker than Black.

I think 2007 is shaping up to be one of the strongest years yet.

But yeah the key is picking the stuff you like and forgetting about the rest. There are dozens of new series every season, so obviously there are going to be a lot of bad apples among them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 29th, 2007, 5:21 am 

Rather than anime being less original and creative these days is well.... I'd say the stuff we watched back then weren't that original and creative. There was probably some 70s anime that preceded them. After being exposed to the bunch of genres out there, stuff tends to get old fast. And as time goes by, its harder to be creative since more and more ideas are taken up.

At any rate, I really want a proper medieval anime. There wasn't like any of that since Lodoss. Scrapped Princess went all sci-fi.... like they are all prone to doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 29th, 2007, 6:27 am 
Regular

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
At any rate, I really want a proper medieval anime. There wasn't like any of that since Lodoss. Scrapped Princess went all sci-fi.... like they are all prone to doing.

Seconded.

Although Scrapped Princess was still pretty good and I heartily recommend it to any medieval fantasy anime fan.

Post subject: Re: What's wrong with most new anime?
PostPosted: April 29th, 2007, 7:12 am 

Gundam Seed is probably the epitomy of a worthless modern series. Yoshiyuki Tomino, the creator of the original Gundam series, hated it and had this to say:

"Don't watch anime [and then go into the business of creating it]."

Taken from: http://www.geocities.com/tenou_clock/Review5.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 29th, 2007, 9:08 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Well, one of the problems with anime, recent and somewhat recent, is that once they found something that worked, they stuck with it. Not wanting to lose what works they kept the core idea the same and just changed some of the events, situations, etc. that went along with it. Thus we have a flood of anime titles that sound exactly like what we have seen before, but with a little something changed. Sometimes it works, such as if you like the core idea they are using, or its being done better this time, sometimes it doesn't work, and sometimes you just say to yourself, "haven't I seen this all before?" and move on. This applies to most things, look at TV sitcoms, we've seen it all before. Always though, their will be those few gems that break the mold, that do something new and innovative, and those will be the ones that are remembered, and copied for years to come.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 29th, 2007, 10:48 am 

Yeah I get all that I do. I'm not saying all recent anime is bad, mean look at Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex and Elfin Lied both some of the best anime ever made. What I'm saying is that it's getting harder and harder (at least for me) to find series of that callibur due to the growth of anime and the number of noobs that having taken an interest in the genre and think the world of average anime and wouldn't know a legendary level anime if it walked up and smacked them. Hense why I'm here talking with my peers and not with noobs that think zoids and Yugi-oh are the greatest anime ever.

As for Gundam Seed, I actually like it I thought it was quiet good. Up to the usual gundam standard, not really. But hey when I think gundam I think the first series of the franchise, that being Gundam Wing and few anime anywhere that is on par with that series. As for Gundam Seed Destiny, umm what is there to say? It's just not that good, there are to many characters and really none of the extensive character developement that I expect from a gundam series. Added to that I really dislike the new main male lead, I think he's a selfrightous jerk that doesn't understand anything and should keep his mouth shut. If they had just kept the cast as main characters from the previous series with a few new baddies and sped up the first twenty episodes I think it would have been a far better series then it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 30th, 2007, 3:24 am 
Post Master

Where I live I barly get any anime at all... Canada.
The only cable channel with anime is YTV, which has barly any of it. Theres only 2 good animes showed on friday, and only friday.

Some new crap has been coming out and has been airing daily, like Bayblade, Yugioh etc.
All we get is that crap anime for 5 year olds.

Sucks for us

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 30th, 2007, 5:12 am 

I liked Gundam SEED actually.... Destiny was another ball game. I liked SEED more than like.... Zeta. And well people call me odd. I didn't like Zeta much for that matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 30th, 2007, 8:23 pm 
Major Contributor

I think we also have to separate anime that are "entertaining" and anime that are "good." By that I mean, even a low-quality, cliched and completely ridiculous anime that has poor character development and a stupid plot can be entertaining but that doesn't make it good. I think in general that there are still plenty of "entertaining" anime out there, but not as many "good" ones.

For instance, stuff like Bleach is pretty entertaining and fun to watch most of the time, but can we really call it a "good" anime in terms of plot or characters? Probably not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 5th, 2007, 8:51 am 

That is true, I have to agree. Especially about bleach an entertaining one but each episode has really nothing in it so the plot is at a stand still for most of the show. There are lot of series that are entertaining to watch. Problem is that's all they're good for, I gues I miss the old days when you could walk into a store that had anime pick up pretty uch any one and almost always hit gold because the producion companies had to. Now the market is getting flooded with standard anime that is well average if still better then the majority of American television. But lets face it pretty much everythings better then American television.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 6th, 2007, 4:42 am 

I agree on that too, like Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora was like the biggest pile of crap I've ever laid my eyes upon, but it was so shiny and glittery and entertaining anyway that I watched it all the way through.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 15th, 2007, 3:33 pm 
Regular

I have a feeling that it's only your bad luck on the titles you watch. You mentioned really bad titles from the latest 3~4 years, but there are so many amazing titles on the same period of time.

Bleach? Blergh =p it's just a canned episoidic title, nothing will ever come good out of it, I mean, 120+ episodes? no way you can have solid plot and character development so they have to all fall into the points you quoted: bidimensional characters, unrealistic plot development, everything looks "overused" etc... I often avoid anything bigger than 52 (2x26) episodes because it's almost certain it will not boast a good plot/character development. Obviously, however, Bleach and others are AMAZING entertainment titles to just sit back and relax from a stressfull day .. pretty much what spazmaster666 mentioned, there are "good" and there are "entertainment".

Most of the titles mentioned at this thread are good "entertainment" but far from being memorable "good" titles. Reading all the posts I wasn't able to find a single anime I like .. so I would also fall into the oblivion feeling that there haven't been any good titles latelly.

But for instance, you ask for a good medieval anime? Utawarerumono is ok, not the best ever, but way better than Scrapped Princess.

About original stuff, it's unfair to say newer titles are not original. If you think about it, there is a limit to storylines. For instance you can count on your fingers how a romance can go. Supose it's like 10 (way too much, probably less), after a few years of 50 titles per season, you will consume them all .. anything that comes after that will seam not original, won't it?

I think we should'nt be looking for original ideas, but original storylines, original ways of telling us a story. There is nothing original with Haruhi for instance, but the way they presented it was refreshing. If you watch it on the correct episode order, it will certainly be less entertaining.

Last year we had Ergo Proxy, Jigoku Shoujo (which can only be called good if you consider it 2 seasons), Soukou no Strain, REC, Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora, Shinigami no Ballad, Rozen Maiden (I still fell it's missing something), Noein - Mou Hitori no Kimi e (hmm, gotta add this to the "overlooked" titles =p) ... 2006 alone.

There are good stuff out there, we just have to look for them ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 16th, 2007, 1:22 am 
Major Contributor

Caiobrz wrote:
Last year we had Ergo Proxy, Jigoku Shoujo (which can only be called good if you consider it 2 seasons), Soukou no Strain, REC, Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora, Shinigami no Ballad, Rozen Maiden (I still fell it's missing something), Noein - Mou Hitori no Kimi e (hmm, gotta add this to the "overlooked" titles =p) ... 2006 alone.

There are good stuff out there, we just have to look for them ;)

I think part of the problem is that some of the more "quality" anime shows aren't necessarily going to attract a large audience. Ergo Proxy for instance is what I would consider "excellent" but it's definitely an acquired taste. And the last thing the studio wants is for the critics and hardcore fans to love their anime but the general audience to pretty much not even notice its existence. After all "the best anime that no one watched" is the worst title to be called by.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next