Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently November 20th, 2017, 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 16th, 2007, 7:57 pm 

Although Sephiroth got canned in a single move, the actual fight did last quite a while. Involved quite alot of wall jumping and slashing debris, and debris launching and clashes before Cloud pulled Omnislash out of his ass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 16th, 2007, 8:49 pm 
Post Master

spazmaster666 wrote:
As a side note, technically speaking, Spirits Within was still much more impressive than Advent Children. Even though the movie itself was mostly garbage, the visuals in that movie were definitely superior to Advent Children.

Whats wrong with it? I think its a good Science Fiction title.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 17th, 2007, 1:03 am 
Major Contributor

Mmsven wrote:
Whats wrong with it? I think its a good Science Fiction title.

Except that it's title shouldn't have has "Final Fantasy" in it . . . among other things. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 17th, 2007, 1:51 am 
Post Master

spazmaster666 wrote:
Except that it's title shouldn't have has "Final Fantasy" in it . . . among other things. :P

That doesn't make it a bad movie. I'm assuming they used that name to cash in because they spent too much on the graphics. Which failed anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 17th, 2007, 2:02 am 
Major Contributor

Mmsven wrote:
That doesn't make it a bad movie. I'm assuming they used that name to cash in because they spent too much on the graphics. Which failed anyway.

Well the plot of the movie was pretty silly and didn't make a whole lot of sense. And the script is pretty terrible as well. They spent way too much money on Eye candy and not enough on the script or the storyline. Also all the new-agey nonsense probably alienated a lot of potential viewers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 17th, 2007, 2:32 pm 

But isn't that the way it is with most things now? They spend everything they got on cg and eye candy and let the story go to hell in a hand basket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 17th, 2007, 2:35 pm 

Also sorry for my wordy post a few days ago. I was just trying to explain fighting to those whom have no knowledge or experience with it that's all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 19th, 2007, 7:46 am 
Major Contributor

The Adict wrote:
Also sorry for my wordy post a few days ago. I was just trying to explain fighting to those whom have no knowledge or experience with it that's all.

Well unfortunately for Square Pictures, people didn't care nearly as much about the eye candy as the picture was a huge box office bust, effectively bankrupting Square pictures. That's what you get for spending $137 million on a movie that clearly was not going to go anywhere at the box office.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 23rd, 2007, 3:19 pm 

HOLLY SHIT THEY SPENT THAT MUCH ON THAT FILM!!!!!???

Okay they're stupid, maybe if they had released it a few yearsafter FFVII's release it would have done well but now nearly a decade later? Morons. Hope the remake of FFVII still makes it threw though I'd like to play it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 24th, 2007, 6:54 pm 
Major Contributor

The Adict wrote:
HOLLY SHIT THEY SPENT THAT MUCH ON THAT FILM!!!!!???

Okay they're stupid, maybe if they had released it a few yearsafter FFVII's release it would have done well but now nearly a decade later? Morons. Hope the remake of FFVII still makes it threw though I'd like to play it.

Well they figured that Spirits Within would be the film that would start the whole "life-like" CGI film craze. So they spent loads of money on it with those hopes in mind. Obviously it got them nowhere. I'm surprised that so soon after the Spirits Within bust that Square-Enix made another high-profile CGI film, though obviously Advent Children didn't cost nearly as much as Spirits Within, and obviously had a much broader fanbase than Spirits Within ever could have, especially in Japan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 24th, 2007, 7:44 pm 

The software they developed for the CGI was also used in subsequent Squaresoft games and Advent Children. Really, I think that, at the beginning, all they wanted to create was the CGI software, but then decided to produce the movie to pay for the large development costs until the project ballooned into a white elephant.

It was the smart kind of gamble, business-wise. If you could break even with the development costs or even get a profit out of a tool you're forced to create regardless because of your own necessities, and acquire real experience and practice to master the techniques involved, at the same time penetrate a new market both in your own country and the west, as well as break new ground and further solidify your dominance in the industry, you do it. Simply, it would've been much more lucrative for Square over just implementing it on their games and regaining the development costs in a few games or so. Further, they would've had to operate on a budget and risk creative development.

Of course, as it is with business, the larger the pay-off, the larger the collateral.